Sand And Filters

MewMew42

Fish Herder
Joined
Feb 13, 2009
Messages
1,420
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester UK
I have just put some sand in my new tank and I'm waiting for it to settle

the filter is on at this point to get things going, should it be on?

will it take longer to settle, or will it clog the filter?

thanks!
 
I have just put some sand in my new tank and I'm waiting for it to settle

the filter is on at this point to get things going, should it be on?

will it take longer to settle, or will it clog the filter?

thanks!
When I put sand substrate in my tank a couple weeks back, I turned my filter on with just the foam insert in to catch the sand.

Note: I also cleaned the filer by taking apart about 4 times during this process.

But I got to say, it did help a lot with the water clearing up sooner.

If you do not want to take apart your filter, then I would suggest not to run it. As sand will get stuck down below the impeller.

What kind of filter do you have? I had a Aquaclear 70.

-FHM
 
I have a fluval 3+

I don't think i'll mind taking it apart though!

=]
Well in that case I would say go for it.

You might not have to take it apart though.

The only reason why I took it apart was because I could hear the sand spinning around in where the impeller is, very annoying. Sand will find its way into the smallest cracks inside filters it seems.

Just leave the foam pad in there, or whatever you are using for a mechanical filtration, and then clean the sand out of that as well once you your tank clears up.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top