Sajicas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFreak95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a pair of sajicas. Its only been 3 days but what are some triggers to get them to start breeding? for future reference.
I have heard of bumping up the temp and doing a water change. Also what can I do to help them acclimate. They are with 4 guppies

All you need is a little patience. Sajica are usually very willing breeders even from a very young age. PLenty of high protein food like bloodworm/prawn can sometimes speed up the process. Temp of at least 26 C too.
Make sure they have a few smooth stones and a cave or two as well, to give them a choice of spawning surfaces.

Feed them up on quality bloodworm and other live food for a week. Keep them at 27 degrees then do a 30-40% water change with fairly cold water. That replicates fresh rainfall in the wild which is when they like to spawn. I did this with my rainbows and after 2 days of getting them I had 200+ eggs.

Im going to wait a week or 2 before I attempt to trigger a spawning. I normally keep it at 75 - 78F so bump it up to 80 - 82 and feed them high protein diet(blood worms, chopped up prawn, what else?) for a couple days then do a water change with cool water, Is this right? Any other advice? more high protein foods?

Im going to wait a week or 2 before I attempt to trigger a spawning. I normally keep it at 75 - 78F so bump it up to 80 - 82 and feed them high protein diet(blood worms, chopped up prawn, what else?) for a couple days then do a water change with cool water, Is this right? Any other advice? more high protein foods?

Sounds like a plan mate. Good luck. :)

My female seems to want to breed, her tube is down and tail slapping the male. The male just ignores her though. I really want them too breed :/
Any tips to get the male interested?

My Sajicas just laid eggs. So far they seem like good parents. Im hoping the male did his part. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: This will be my first time breeding cichlids :D

Actually the guppies are doing fine. The male got a section of his tail bit off but they all stay in the upper area of the tank. 5 eggs died out of the 70 I counted.

You counted the eggs? LOL! Good job you haven't got an Oscar, they lay about a thousand! lol. I should imagine your other fish will be at risk, especially as the parents begin to protect their fry rather tha their eggs.

Wow, I'm amazed the breeding sajica's have tolerated the guppies in that 10G tank so far. I would have predicted guppy carnage !

Wow, I'm amazed the breeding sajica's have tolerated the guppies in that 10G tank so far. I would have predicted guppy carnage !

I see eyes inside the eggs! about 25 eggs are dead now though.
They will attack my hand if I put it in the tank but the guppies are fine! They did tear up a molly that was in there though. He got to close to there territory I guess.

I have rehomes one of Littlemonkeys Ellioti and she said that he was always no trouble with guppies... But i don't think she had them breeding in the same time.

I have rehomes one of Littlemonkeys Ellioti and she said that he was always no trouble with guppies... But i don't think she had them breeding in the same time.

A single ellioti compared with a breeding pair of sajica is like comparing a moggy with a panther. THe breeding instinct changes everything.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back