Sad And Awful Who Would Buy This Fish?

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
So I was looking for photos of ebjd and look what I found.
Short ebjd

and look at this one.
Just gross

they are breeding them to be deformed now that is just sick. Why!!!!
 
It happens with loads of strain bred fish unfortunately. I think its for the naive market I saw some pictures of short bodied pearl gourami the other day that were just sick, I couldnt understand that though even if they wanted to make a fish look "stockier" why pick a pearl gourami none of its natural traits are good for this!

Also I think the top one is an african cichlid rather than the EBJD

Wills
 
For the same reason that they breed pugs and persians to have noses they can't breathe through and german sheppards to have sloping back ends that they can't walk on - people think it's cool, even though it's horrible for the animal in question.
 
got to admit it is the same reason people breed pugs

however its not in another way as its show people who breed pugs to make them more expensive and to put tthem in like crufts like beefore the flat nose pug they wernt very costly now there around 1000pounds for a puppy
 
got to admit it is the same reason people breed pugs

however its not in another way as its show people who breed pugs to make them more expensive and to put tthem in like crufts like beefore the flat nose pug they wernt very costly now there around 1000pounds for a puppy

Well yeh...the showing bit is not the same. It's still genetic experimentation because someone somewhere thought it was cool though.
 
got to admit it is the same reason people breed pugs

however its not in another way as its show people who breed pugs to make them more expensive and to put tthem in like crufts like beefore the flat nose pug they wernt very costly now there around 1000pounds for a puppy

Well yeh...the showing bit is not the same. It's still genetic experimentation because someone somewhere thought it was cool though.

and theres always repercussions (sp) as now most dogs like british bulldogs, cant have puppies naturally, they have to have c-sections
 
Pugs have been around for hundreds of years. The first short nosed dogs can be traced back as far as 600BC. All dogs came from one source, the grey wolf. It's only through years of interbreeding that we now have all the breeds we do today. It's true that some of the traits that people have sought to hilight are undesirable to many but they've come about the same as any other dog.

Kind regards

Jimi

(ps - I'm not canine authority and if any of my views are inaccurate then feel free to correct me/beat me with a large stick)

(pps - maybe not the large stick)
 
Short bodies are in fashion at the moment. I have no idea why, since they're one of the worst strains that have been developed IMO... the fish can't swim, in the case of bettas they can't mate, and the compression of the internal organs (particularly the swim bladder) results in major problems as they get older. Just like other animals, it's a case of fashion over commonsense or the welfare of the animal.

Although all dogs are developed from the wolf, the healthier breeds today have a much larger gene pool. The problem with the breeds where health problems are very bad come about because they are so inbred - some of these breeds can be traced back to a single animal, and in order to 'set' whatever trait was found so special about this original animal, brother-sister and parent-puppy matings were used for several generations. Unfortunately, the betta hobby is starting to suffer from the same genetic bottleneck, and also the infestation of rosetail genes, as people breed for bigger fish with bigger fins without a thought for the fish. The entire halfmoon strain traces back to a single fish, and in the halfmoon especially we are starting to see this sort of rubbish cropping up.
 
Its so sick. with german shepherds, one judge at crufts said its nicer to have a sloped back and then suddenly next year loads of german shepherds had sloped backs which were painful and stopped them walking properly. I can't believe they are breeding fish like this :angry: . Its so cruel to the fish and shortens their lifespans. Also, they don't look nicer at all (IMHO), they just look stunted and squished to make them shorter.
 
while i agree its sometimes cruel line breeding to develop certain mutations
dogs mostly look like they do due to hundreds of years breeding to do specific jobs not like these fish
scot
 
People have bred all kinds of animals for a certain job, it used to be that they did it to bring out desirable traits or a certain ability that some dogs bred, now its for money, Here in the states they breed cockerdoodles and all kinds of crap and call them "designer dogs" and ofcourse people will pay big money for them, and the reality is you can find them "designer dogs " at the dump for free, to me show dogs are just that and most of them dont have the abilities or behaviours that were bred into them many years ago for a specific job, It took me several months of hard searching to find my Mastiff and I specifically hunted for a line of dog that wasnt line bred , Now maybe one day I can find a female that isnt bred for pure show as I am more after the behaviour traits to go along with the old breed standard, Americans tho want to breed these dogs to massive sizes and big ole block heads..
I would also like to say Miss Laurafrog that is one nice looking Sailfin in your avatar...
 
all i see here is irony

I can kind of see where your coming from but I think there is a difference between line breeding for colour and line breeding for deformity. Though I guess the EBJD creation was a bit messy with all the weak fish that were a result. I think the EBJD was always going to be a controversial fish either way though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top