Rotkeil Or Red Headed Severum

Bare in mind this is the same Hieko Bleher who says Blood Parrots are not hybrids because he discovered them in the wild and are just deformed Midas, and also said the original Flowerhorn, he also discovered was a strangley coloured umbee.

I don't trust anything he says unless its about discus.

Bare in mind this is the same Hieko Bleher who says Blood Parrots are not hybrids because he discovered them in the wild and are just deformed Midas, and also said the original Flowerhorn, he also discovered was a strangley coloured umbee.

I don't trust anything he says unless its about discus.

Mmmm fair enough but the way they were split regionally and also in the photos there were differences in head shape etc etc.

Wills

I love my severum. I really do find it extremely hard to get any others than the golden and green. I had to wait months before my LFS could get any red spotted for me.
I'd love to get red shouldered and rotkeil but its impossible. I live in Northern Ireland by the way and I found one rotkeil on gumtree but the seller was wanting too high a price.

Hopefully I'll be able to get them and more varierties one day.

As far as I understand there are 4 species of Heros:
Heros efasciatus
Heros notatus
Heros severus
Heros spurius

and Heros sp. "red shoulder" are the same as rotkeil and the same species as efasciatus although caught in rio Nanay. This is the only location with red shouldered Heros, afaik.

in the hobby there has been Heros bred with different coloration such as red or yellowish anal fin, but not sure if those differencies are found in wild locations.

The pictures acreteos posted are just same species with different age, mood and such.

I might be wrong, but this has been made clear for me many times.

I love my severum. I really do find it extremely hard to get any others than the golden and green. I had to wait months before my LFS could get any red spotted for me.
I'd love to get red shouldered and rotkeil but its impossible. I live in Northern Ireland by the way and I found one rotkeil on gumtree but the seller was wanting too high a price.

Hopefully I'll be able to get them and more varierties one day.

Hi Micko. The sev on gumtree belonged to us. She was wildcaught and bought from Grosvenor at a higher price than what we were asking. You'll find a fish that size and wild will be no cheaper than anywhere you go. The reason we got rid of her was because we have now got 2 pairs and she was excess.

This is one of our pairs

2011_0124sevnew0050.jpg

I would like to clear up that the first picture i posted was the F1 offspring of the fish pictured below,
unfortunately Wills I don't know the collection location of the fish.

This thread is becoming really useful and interesting, a lot of this information on severum identification and classification is new to me, so I hope some guys who are interested in severums have read this thread. that and that Wills is a walking severum encyclopedia :p

ps Bonzo that is a beautiful sev, would that fall into the category of red shouldered or Rotkeil?

Thank you. Well I bought them as rotkeil but this thread has threw that up in the air a bit. But don't mind what they are they're still great looking fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back