Ropefish And Corys?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

three-fingers

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I've wanted a bichir for a long time but have decided against it since I'd rather not part with my corys.

I've been looking at rope fish and think they look brilliant, but would they eat my corys?

They seem longer but thinner than bichirs, and I've heard they are often OK with small fast 'dither' fish like danios (but I'm not expecting much).

Anyone kept them together?

Ropefish and Corydoras should be absolutely fine, provided the Corydoras are obviously too large to bite, i.e., their bodies are bigger than the heads of the ropefish. Most problems with Corydoras getting eaten come about where fish can bite them, but then get impaled on their dorsal and pectoral fins that are raised when the catfish is in danger.

If in doubt, go for something really chunky, like Brochis splendens. These are widely traded and in London at least go for around £3 a piece. At 8-10 cm in length when mature, they'd be good companions for ropefish.

On the other hand, obviously avoid small Corydoras species like C. hastatus, and I'd argue against the small-to-medium sized species like C. panda too. Much better off with chunky things like Corydoras paleatus.

Cheers, Neale

Cool cool, I've just got bronze corys (about 2") at the moment so I presume they will be big enough, but will stick with bigger species if I get more :good:.

Brochis are nice, first time I saw them years ago it was a massive species and I hadn't even heard of them at that point so got quite a shock seeing the size of those corys :lol:.

Also been there and done that with the fish being impaled after swallowing a cory, around 7 years ago one of my big goldfish tried to swallow a peppered cory :crazy:.
Not fun to deal with, learnt my lesson so always want to be safe when it comes to that.

Thanks for the advice :good:.

Cool cool, I've just got bronze corys (about 2") at the moment so I presume they will be big enough, but will stick with bigger species if I get more :good:.

Brochis are nice, first time I saw them years ago it was a massive species and I hadn't even heard of them at that point so got quite a shock seeing the size of those corys :lol:.

Also been there and done that with the fish being impaled after swallowing a cory, around 7 years ago one of my big goldfish tried to swallow a peppered cory :crazy:.
Not fun to deal with, learnt my lesson so always want to be safe when it comes to that.

Thanks for the advice :good:.

Just to add to what nmonks has said,

unlike Bichirs, reed fish usually only thrive when kept in groups. when kept this way they rarely hide and will usually lie, coiled up together, in the open.

I keep mine with some large albino corys no problems, I also have 7 Colombian tetras in the tank and the reeds pay them no interest

Just to add to what nmonks has said,

unlike Bichirs, reed fish usually only thrive when kept in groups. when kept this way they rarely hide and will usually lie, coiled up together, in the open.

I keep mine with some large albino corys no problems, I also have 7 Colombian tetras in the tank and the reeds pay them no interest
Good to know, makes me feel safer now :good:.

I was planning on keeping more than one - how many would you recommend? Is 2 OK or should I get three?

The tank will be 5'Lx30"Wx2'H, but until it's finished this summer, I'll keep them in my 190l corner tank (provided I can get them small).

Any idea how big they usually are when bought in the shops?

2 would be ok, 3 even better,
My workplace is the only local store I know that has these, ours come in sized between 10 to 14 inches so not small

I'll wait until I have the bigger tank ready then (at which point I may as well get 3), that's not small :hyper:.

I was just going to ask my work to try get some in, so it would probably take a while anyway.

Cheers :).

If your near to a Dobbies store they should be able to get them for you,
although I know the scottish stores use a different fish supplier to us down here

Actually, now that you mention it I think the only time I've seen them was at a Dobbies.

I'll probably do that if I cant order them in. Thanks again :good:.

i have a polypterus delhezi (armoured bichir) in my 240 litre containing many fish including 2 albino corydora which are roughly 2" in length, the bichir doesn't bother them at all, it doesn't bother anything at all! it might just be my bichir being good tempered, or you could go out and buy one and it be particularly bad tempered. corydoras would be very difficult for anything but very large fish to swallow so i wouldn't say they would be a bichirs first port of call. i guess you could say its a gamble, but hey, crossing the road is a gamble! bichirs like the delhezi are a lot more active than rope/reed fish, i had two a while ago and sadly got quite bored of them, they are nice looking fish, if they can be looked at!
your choice!
Dave

I've got 4 reedfish and they live happily with praecox rainbows and glass catfish (krypto. minor) I would have no qualms about putting corys in with them. Have to agree with Dave, the reeds are amazing, active fish. Mine are also pretty greedy - they even eat flake (prefer bloodworm though)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back