RIP my favorite fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My chinese algae eater “Barry” my first fish ever :rip:. 3 months ago before i join the TFF I always thought fish is happy when they are eating, so i overfed most of them as you guys know i lost lots of fish due to “dropsy“ and “bloated”. When i know i should feed less its too late to fix the problem, back to the questions: how to tell if fish have bloated or dropsy, my algae eater just died but theres no sign of it till he died, his belly is really big. Secondly how to feed pea to a fish, they seems to not eat it.
@Colin_T

So sad.He even join FOTM contest before he die
When his belly grow too big,Of course he is bloating
I don't even know I can feed pea to fish

To feed a pea, cook a pea in aquarium water and peel the shell off. Then crumble it up and feed it to your fish

Fish don't get dropsy or intestinal infections from over eating or being fed a lot of food.

Internal infections/ dropsy is usually caused by bacteria damaging internal organs. The most common cause if rotten food or polluted/ contaminated food.

Live bloodworms (Chironomid midge larvae) and Tubifex worms that have been collected in sewerage farms, or areas with agriculture run off, or in industrial areas have been linked to intestinal infections in fish that have eaten them.

Feeding high protein meat diets to vegetarian fish can cause bloating and dropsy. Vegetarian fish have longer digestive tracts than predatory fishes. So if the vegetarian fish eats a lot of meat food, it can rot in their intestine before it is passed out. This is sometimes seen in Tropheus cichlids from the African Rift Lakes, and a few other vegetarian fishes.

-------------------
If fish are exposed to chemicals it can damage their liver and they can swell up and die from liver failure.

Avoid using chemicals unless you absolutely have to, keep the tank clean, and avoid using contaminated water to prevent liver failure in fish, people and other birds and animals.

-------------------
All algae eating fish need driftwood and algae in their tank. They need driftwood to help with digestion and algae as food. They can have other food in addition to these, but they need driftwood and algae in their tank at all times.

From what I’ve seen in the past bloating in a fish just shows as appearing really fat & maybe a rounded body, depending on body shape. Dropsy gives a similar effect on the body with severe swelling but the scales can be seen sticking out of the skin, almost like a pine cone effect.
I’ve lost a few fish in the past to dropsy, best to isolate the fish as soon as you see it & try treatment, Melafix is a good one plus a good diet. Unfortunately 99% of the cases I had failed to recover, or at least live very long even after appearing to recover.

Fish don't get dropsy or intestinal infections from over eating or being fed a lot of food.

Internal infections/ dropsy is usually caused by bacteria damaging internal organs. The most common cause if rotten food or polluted/ contaminated food.

Live bloodworms (Chironomid midge larvae) and Tubifex worms that have been collected in sewerage farms, or areas with agriculture run off, or in industrial areas have been linked to intestinal infections in fish that have eaten them.

Feeding high protein meat diets to vegetarian fish can cause bloating and dropsy. Vegetarian fish have longer digestive tracts than predatory fishes. So if the vegetarian fish eats a lot of meat food, it can rot in their intestine before it is passed out. This is sometimes seen in Tropheus cichlids from the African Rift Lakes, and a few other vegetarian fishes.

-------------------
If fish are exposed to chemicals it can damage their liver and they can swell up and die from liver failure.

Avoid using chemicals unless you absolutely have to, keep the tank clean, and avoid using contaminated water to prevent liver failure in fish, people and other birds and animals.

-------------------
All algae eating fish need driftwood and algae in their tank. They need driftwood to help with digestion and algae as food. They can have other food in addition to these, but they need driftwood and algae in their tank at all times.
How do i grow algae in tank i have drift wood though.

Live bloodworms (Chironomid midge larvae) and Tubifex worms that have been collected in sewerage farms, or areas with agriculture run off, or in industrial areas have been linked to intestinal infections in fish that have eaten them. @PheonixKingZ

-------------------

-------------------
Can chemical in vegetable from supermarket dangerous to fish?

You can get algae wafers from PetSmart of PetCo. LFS’s usually sell them also. As long as you wash the veggies before you blanch them, they’ll be fine

If you want algae get a clear plastic bottle with fish water in it and leave it at a window for a week. After that put the bottle with algae in the tank and watch it spread

You can get algae wafers from PetSmart of PetCo. LFS’s usually sell them also. As long as you wash the veggies before you blanch them, they’ll be fine
I had one but we have rats in our house so they stole 2 bags of algae wafer and a bag of goldfish food......

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back