RIP my favorite fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
How do i grow algae in tank i have drift wood though.
Leave the tank lights on for longer. The extra light will encourage algae to grow on the glass and ornaments.
You can have the lights on for up to 16 hours per day but the fish and plants need 8 hours rest. If you get heaps of algae with 16 hours of light per day, then reduce it by a couple of hours.

You can put a plastic storage container outside in the sun and fill the container with water. Put some smooth rocks or ornaments in the container of water. Add 1 level tablespoon of granulated lawn fertiliser per 20 litres of water and leave the water to go green. When the rocks have algae on them, put the rock in the aquarium. The fish can graze on the algae and when the rock is clean, swap it for another one in the bucket.

Watch out for mosquito larvae in the buckets of green water. You can scoop them out with a fine mesh net and feed them to the fish.

-----------------
Can chemical in vegetable from supermarket dangerous to fish?
Yes.
Any plant matter from a shop needs to be free of chemicals like pesticide or herbicide. If you are unsure, don't use it. Grow your own at home if possible and avoid using chemicals.

Maggy the duck? I'm sorry, I thought you had a duck. Or maybe you do but it doesn't like to be petted?
Anyway, I am sorry.
Yep, i have a duck but you can touch him but no pet... and no swimming and water, he scared of it so bad.

Leave the tank lights on for longer. The extra light will encourage algae to grow on the glass and ornaments.
You can have the lights on for up to 16 hours per day but the fish and plants need 8 hours rest. If you get heaps of algae with 16 hours of light per day, then reduce it by a couple of hours.

You can put a plastic storage container outside in the sun and fill the container with water. Put some smooth rocks or ornaments in the container of water. Add 1 level tablespoon of granulated lawn fertiliser per 20 litres of water and leave the water to go green. When the rocks have algae on them, put the rock in the aquarium. The fish can graze on the algae and when the rock is clean, swap it for another one in the bucket.

Watch out for mosquito larvae in the buckets of green water. You can scoop them out with a fine mesh net and feed them to the fish.

-----------------

Yes.
Any plant matter from a shop needs to be free of chemicals like pesticide or herbicide. If you are unsure, don't use it. Grow your own at home if possible and avoid using chemicals.
We dont have lawn fertilizer here, can you do without it?

You don't need fertiliser in the water for algae but it grows faster if you have some. But just a container of water outside in bright light will eventually get algae.

I'm sorry for your loss my heart goes out to you and our fish friends. Losing a fish to me has been almost like losing a cat or dog at times.
For algea lighting like sunlight, and I think maybe full spectrum light bulbs, help algea grow more than anything I've seen. If you aquarium is really close to a window make sure the temperature is steady though!! If it grows too fast then shade it.

Because I clean wastewater for a living and man the amount of things organic or inorganic I've seen come out of the sewer that had not reason to be in there or just shouldnt be just destroys you

True! I'm gonna to buy purified water for my future aquarium. I live near Dupont, now famous thanks to the movie Dark Waters. Plastic is literally in our water. Id rather drink out of a mud puddle lol XD my life is a state of depression haha

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back