Rice Fish

rocknurworld2006

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
3,384
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Aberdeen
anybody bred these before and what is the best way to do it and how do u sex them?

and why are these so hard to get supposedly?
 
There is a USA seller that stocks them. I am sure if you email him he should be able to tell you how to sex them. His name is Frank and he is a nice gent from whom I have gotten fish and even met in person.
Franks/RiceFish
 
not sure about that exact species but we have had rice fish (lamp eyes, blue eyed ricefish, medakas, etc) and they were kept in a planted tank and bred readily. Nothing special was done other than regular water changes and a good diet. The adults were in the tank by themselves and fry would turn up quite regularly. The parents normally left the fry alone and we used a basic liquid & powder fry food to feed them.
Males have slightly more colour and bigger fins, but only slightly, and females are a bit fatter due to eggs.
The water was soft (GH less than 150ppm) and the pH was alkaline, (about 7.6-7.8). Some of them carry clusters of eggs around until they wipe them off on plants.
 
Sorry, they're killies, I was thinking of something else! But, if I'm correct, the name javanicus means they're from Java.
 
Well, I never owned them, but I've hoped to own them for years, they're livebearers and are relatively small.


they are not livebearers!


why is it they are so hard to find supposedly?
i kept and breed them for a number of years.
as i have said in a earlier post it is best to get at Least 6 of them you will have more chance of geting a pair. sexing them can be difficult. adult females are more plump males have slightly larger fins i find the best way to sex them is by the anal fin.


they have allways been a hard to get fish. maybe its because their is no Great demand for them.
Their are about 13 species of them i have kept 4 of them.
 
Maybe Some species will do ok in brakish water all of my fish wear ok in fresh water.

Thay can adapt to tropical & coldwater. I have some friends who keep them in out side ponds all year round.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top