Restarting My Tanks Inside, Opinions On What Im About To Buy?

calversbuyuk

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Sorry didn't know how to word the title haha!
 
Ok so my 190 litre 4 foot tank im having a few problems with it and my sand just being sucked into my filter etc so deciding to start fresh (not the fish) and make it look better and have better stuff but am on a very tight budget.
 
So need to know what you think on what im going to buy and if you have any other links to maybe the same stuff cheaper elsewhere or something better but not too a lot more in price. (PS I live in the UK so need UK links etc)
 
And yes it is for my Cichlids :)

So first I am going to buy this filter from APS -
http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-1000-l-h.html
 
Currently using B&Q Dry Kiln Sand but am going to buy Pool Filter sand, I would like the coral sand etc but just cant afford to be spending £20+ on sand :( (yes all my sand and rocks etc I will be cleaning thoroughly and rinsing etc)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swimming-Pool-Sand-Filter-Sand-Media-25KG-Bag-/180698592675?pt=UK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs&hash=item2a1279b5a3
 
I have already bought a bag of beach rocks from my garden centre £10!!! bloudy expensive and will most likely be needing more
 

I am also going to make my own 3d background. Looked around a bit and think I am going to be doing it this way - http://dramaticaquascapes.com/AS0004-1.html
 
I have purchased this cement to cover the polystyrene in from B&Q, exactly the same stuff as this just from b&q -
http://www.tesco.com/direct/quick-set-cement-polyfilla-2kg/212-4491.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=212-4491&kpid=212-4491&sc_cmp=ppc_g__&gclid=CKnvsqCf17cCFZQZtAodmiQAiA
 
I am going to buy this polystyrene in sizes 600x400x25 and a pack of 12 -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXPANDED-POLYSTYRENE-FOAM-PACKING-SHEETS-ALL-SIZES-/251006675975?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&var=&hash=item3a7129ec07
 
To stick the background polystyrene down I need sealant, I was going to buy this stuff, is this the stuff I need? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HA6-RTV-MARINE-SILICONE-AQUARIUM-WATER-TANK-SEALANT-VARIOUS-COLOURS-/140938448865?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&var=&hash=item20d0960fe1
 
 
 
So yeh what do you all think am I going the right way?

Thanks advice much appreciated
 
 

bullit

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
923
Reaction score
0
Location
leic, england
calversbuyuk said:
Sorry didn't know how to word the title haha!
 
Ok so my 190 litre 4 foot tank im having a few problems with it and my sand just being sucked into my filter etc so deciding to start fresh (not the fish) and make it look better and have better stuff but am on a very tight budget.
 
So need to know what you think on what im going to buy and if you have any other links to maybe the same stuff cheaper elsewhere or something better but not too a lot more in price. (PS I live in the UK so need UK links etc)
 
And yes it is for my Cichlids

So first I am going to buy this filter from APS -
http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-1000-l-h.html  Filterwise ive read good reviews and alright reviews. Not used one myself. Id always try and get a eheim or tetretec second hand. Yu could even make your own.
 
Currently using B&Q Dry Kiln Sand but am going to buy Pool Filter sand, I would like the coral sand etc but just cant afford to be spending £20+ on sand
(yes all my sand and rocks etc I will be cleaning thoroughly and rinsing etc)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swimming-Pool-Sand-Filter-Sand-Media-25KG-Bag-/180698592675?pt=UK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs&hash=item2a1279b5a3   Alot of people use it, again i havent so im sure youll be fine.
 
I have already bought a bag of beach rocks from my garden centre £10!!! bloudy expensive and will most likely be needing more. I collected my stones from the local brook.
 
I am also going to make my own 3d background. Looked around a bit and think I am going to be doing it this way - http://dramaticaquascapes.com/AS0004-1.html   Seen this one before, there loads of diff ideas to go from on youtube etc.
 
I have purchased this cement to cover the polystyrene in from B&Q, exactly the same stuff as this just from b&q -
http://www.tesco.com/direct/quick-set-cement-polyfilla-2kg/212-4491.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=212-4491&kpid=212-4491&sc_cmp=ppc_g__&gclid=CKnvsqCf17cCFZQZtAodmiQAiA  
I used the normal portland cement when i covered mine. Decided not to use it in the end but you will have to do a lot of soaking in water to leach all the **** out of it. cant remember the name. You might want to then paint it with acryalic paint. Again lots of diff ways.
 
I am going to buy this polystyrene in sizes 600x400x25 and a pack of 12 -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXPANDED-POLYSTYRENE-FOAM-PACKING-SHEETS-ALL-SIZES-/251006675975?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&var=&hash=item3a7129ec07     If you can find some kingspan or celotex it is easier to use but again you can go with this.
 
To stick the background polystyrene down I need sealant, I was going to buy this stuff, is this the stuff I need? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HA6-RTV-MARINE-SILICONE-AQUARIUM-WATER-TANK-SEALANT-VARIOUS-COLOURS-/140938448865?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&var=&hash=item20d0960fe1        Yeah that is the correct stuff.
 
 
 
So yeh what do you all think am I going the right way?
Thanks advice much appreciated
 
 
Looks like your going the right way. As for anything diy- filters, backgrounds etc, have a look on diyfishkeepers. You should find some more ideas on there. Cheers
 
OP
C

calversbuyuk

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
 

 
Looks like your going the right way. As for anything diy- filters, backgrounds etc, have a look on diyfishkeepers. You should find some more ideas on there. Cheers


 
 
ah wow that's a good site and youtube site thanks for that! cant wait to get it all looking good etc :)
 

bullit

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
923
Reaction score
0
Location
leic, england
Joey does a diy canister filter on there. My sump design is on there in a recent thread ')
 
OP
C

calversbuyuk

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
bullit said:
Joey does a diy canister filter on there. My sump design is on there in a recent thread ')
Oh does he have you got any links to that and your sump design?
What is a sump been looking on youtube and it looks like another way of a filter?
 

bullit

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
923
Reaction score
0
Location
leic, england
canister filter- http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?1961-DIY-canister-filter
 
my thread-http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?8628-trickle-tower-sump-design
 
If you go into the diy filters section. Theres a load of stickys at the top of the page. A sump is a another tank or container underneath you fishtank. They are usually used with drilled tanks but you can do a diy overflow without drilling your tank. There used a lot for marine tanks but there great for FW too. A trickle tower which is called a wet/dry sump is the way you want to go. There is loads of diy vids by joey on youtube which include diy overflows aswell. cheers
 
OP
C

calversbuyuk

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
bullit said:
canister filter- http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?1961-DIY-canister-filter
 
my thread-http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?8628-trickle-tower-sump-design
 
If you go into the diy filters section. Theres a load of stickys at the top of the page. A sump is a another tank or container underneath you fishtank. They are usually used with drilled tanks but you can do a diy overflow without drilling your tank. There used a lot for marine tanks but there great for FW too. A trickle tower which is called a wet/dry sump is the way you want to go. There is loads of diy vids by joey on youtube which include diy overflows aswell. cheers
Lovely cheers.

Oh right so what do they do are they just another type of filter then?
 
OP
C

calversbuyuk

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Also I commented on your thing ha need to reach 15 posts it is annoying!! :(
 

bullit

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
923
Reaction score
0
Location
leic, england
Yeah i noticed. Yes it was. Just about finished building mine now. Yeah its a filter, will have mine hopefully running in a month or so. cheers
 
OP
C

calversbuyuk

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
bullit said:
Yeah i noticed. Yes it was. Just about finished building mine now. Yeah its a filter, will have mine hopefully running in a month or so. cheers
ahh sweet nice! defo get some pictures up would like to see it :)
 

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Top