Restarting A Hobby I Have Missed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shakim269

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

It is so good to find somewhere that I can post my questions to and actually get honest answers from people who know what they are doing.  Makes me absolutely happy.

Well, anyways, I say restarting because I grew up with really big tanks and helped with cleaning and feeding.  However, to start one is absolutely new to me and I have made some beginner mistakes.  Here are my mistakes,

1) Bought a one gallon tank.  (OH NO!)
2) Overloaded one gallon with too many fish. (Tropical at that. Total of 8.)
3) Not cleaning it enough.
4) Too much gravel in the bottom.

After doing more research, I have realized my mistake and 6 out of the 8 have died.  One of bloat, 4 due to lack of heat, and another of fin rot.  A one gallon is very difficult to keep clean.  But I have increased my cleaning to daily in order to keep the last 2 alive.

Anyways, hearing my mistake, my best friend is sending me a 10 gallon tank as a gift and as a good (appropriate) starter tank in order to really get me started.  And I have actually decided to do a planted tank, using low light, hardy plants.  (This tank comes with a filter, heater, bacteria for cycling, and so on.)  I do plan on cycling my tank and making sure it is truly ready to house fish but planting is new to me.  I want to due just a few, maybe one that is planted in Flourite (if that's right) and one on drift wood.  Or some others.

To make a long story short, here are my questions:

1) If you have good bacteria, then how long do I have to wait to actual have it fully cycled? (No fish cycling.)
2) Can I ad plants Pre-Cycle or Post-Cycle?
3) What water is the best water to buy?  Products to get rid of chlorine and chloramine.  Water uses both.
4) What type of fish go well with guppies?  (They are my last two.  I hope they last.... -.-')
5) Is 6 to 7 fish to many for a 10 gallon?
6) What type of algae eaters can I get for a planted tank?  Heard I would need a few.
7) Other fish good for a 10 gallon tank? (If they don't.  Knock on wood.)
8) Light bulbs used for low light plants.
9) How to properly prepare the gravel for plants?  Mixture and all that.

Any tips would be great.  I really want to be successful and I plan on using the one gallon as a hospital tank for emergencies.  I want to have all supplies handy in case something goes horrible.  I want to be able to get a larger tank in the future and maybe try my hand at saltwater.  This is to start out.  I didn't realize all the work that goes into a tank at the beginning.  But my son and I love fish and the water so I will definitely get it going.

Thanks,
Shakim

Hiya Shakim, 
welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

Sorry you've gotten off to a rough start. It's great that you're here though and are working on getting your fish in a better situation! I will try to answer each of your questions.

1) It usually takes 5-6 weeks to do a fish-less cycle. Do you know the brand of bacteria that it's coming with? Most are rubbish but some are known to work. Have a read of THIS on how to cycle the tank.
2) Either way you like, the plants can make it go quicker.
3) Prime is very popular as it is concentrated so a little bit goes a long way.
4) Too many to list, but in your size tank I'd just stick to other guppies.
5) It depends on what fish, but I think that would be an alright number of just guppies. Do you have males or females btw?
6) Nerite snails are popular for eating algae. You don't 'need' any type of algae-eater though. If you have a proper balance you shouldn't have any to deal with (this can take some time to figure out though)
7) A single betta and maybe a group (6) of one of the pygmy cories (pygmaeus, hastatus, habrosus), a few pairs of peacock gudgeons, micro fish like mosquito rasbora or green neon rasbora. Not all of these together ofcourse.
8) I'm not sure on this one..usually the standard lights that come with a tank are good enough for the hardy, low light plants.
9) Rinse rinse rinse, add root tabs if you're going to have things like swords or crypts (you just push these into the substrate and they last a few months)

Some hardy, low light plants would be: Watersprite, swords (most will get too big for a 10g though), cryptocorynes, anacharis/elodea, vallisneria (this could grow out of control quickly in your 10), java fern & anubias (attach these to rocks or driftwood), hornwort (you can weigh this down but it's usually a floating plant), dwarf water lettuce (another floater), moss balls, java moss (attach or let float).

When/if you can, I'd get something a little bigger than the 1g for a hospital tank. Perhaps a 5g.

You'll want a liquid test kit and some ammonia for cycling your new tank, you can find the ammonia at Ace Hardware or online. Make sure it doesn't have any additives.

I have males only because I did research and discovered that they can breed like mad and having a 10g isn't big enough for breeding.  I have looked into the Betta idea (didn't know it was tropical until I did research! Go me!).  I've been closely monitoring the guppies and they are not looking to good.  I fear I may have injured them unintentionally.  I will definitely look into the 5g tank for a hospital.  Maybe keep a toy fish in the 1g so my kid can stare.  Use it for something.  Not sure what else. 

I know it's a Top Fin brand tank and comes with a heater and filter.  I will definitely look over the filter and perhaps invest in a better one.  I will definitely see whenever it comes in.  I do know it will have:

Aquarium (duh!)
Incandescent Hood with Bulbs (chance of them being LED though)
Top Fin Power Filter with Cartridge
Adjustable 50W UL Heater
Net
Thermometer
Fish Food Sample
Water Conditioner Sample
Bacteria Starter Sample (More than likely Top Fin brand)
And a guide to set it up.

I'm thinking the heater and filter may need a bit of an upgrade, I am not sure yet.  I know I need to look into small fish and I was looking into little Venazulen Pigmy Corys too.  I am still looking around (it will be a week before I get the tank.  Will definitely let you know when I get it o_O) and also keeping an eye on OJ and Sana Sana (Kid named the guppies.  Cute.)  Hopefully they pull through long enough to get into their new home.

I also know I will need a testing kit for the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.  And if I remember right, Liquid test tools preferred.  I don't remember what else to get besides the gravel/sand and decorum.

I also have another question, I read somewhere that planted.....plants like swords in sand will create dangerous gas bubbles underneath.  Is that true?

A fish-in cycle which is what you're having to do on that 1g can harm the fish quite a lot, and I imagine it doesn't take long for toxins to build up in there. No offense intended at you. I hope they perk up.
Something that may help is you can get one of those rubbermaid storage totes and put them in that..will have lots more water volume.

You'll definitely want the liquid test kit for cycling, and as I'm sure you've heard they're more accurate than strips so good to have on hand anyway. I think you've got all the stuff you need covered. Do you have a stand?

I have not heard that about swords at all. If it worries you, during each water change you can stir the sand up a bit.
Are you getting gravel or sand? Sand looks more natural IMO and if fish have a preferred substrate it's usually sand.

I have definitely considered sand, because I would like some corys, and I was just wondering about the swords because it was a weird little thing that made me go "What?"

I have actually gotten the little guys to swim to the top of the tank and move some, they seem to have perked a little but I am watching and changing the water consistently in order to keep them alive.  I never heard of cycling and really should have researched more on what I needed to do.  To bad I was too late.   At least I am more prepared this time and won't do it again.  Gotta save all the fish!

Should I prepare with some meds in case their is ich or fin rot?  I wanna be prepared for anything.  Thanks for the help.  Really gives me some ideas!  Aquariums have always been something that I found peaceful and soothing.  Love them!

You can get some meds to have on hand if you like but hopefully you don't have to deal with either of those. Ich can generally be taken care of with heat and salt, and fin rot usually just clean water.

They are very relaxing, I hope you continue to enjoy this hobby for many years :)

Thanks so much.  I plan too enjoy it for a long time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back