Replacing a tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ElizabethFrancine

Reaction score
I currently have a 20 gallon tall tank, that Iā€™m looking to replace with a larger tank. Iā€™m trying to figure out the best way to switch them, but Iā€™m getting conflicting advice.

My problem is that the new tank needs to go exactly where my current tank is. Iā€™m wondering if it would be possible to do the switch in one day. Is there a way I could conceivably do this so that I donā€™t need to cycle the new tank? Would using my old filter, and substrate negate this need?

Swapping the filters should be sufficient and you could use fresh substrate and water. When I have done this I filled the new tank a couple of days before to allow everything to settle and then moved filter and fish in one go. I did have a canister filter so I used new tubing and fittings so all I had to do when I moved it over was hook the filter up and turn it on. You do have the logistical challenge of needing to get them in the same place. Not sure if you're planning to use the same stand and what type of flooring you have. Is sliding an option?

One idea.
  1. Partially fill new tank with de-chlorinated water and place it beside the old one for a day or two.
  2. Make sure temps in both tanks are similar
  3. Drain 3/4 of water from old tank into clean totes or buckets
  4. Slide old tank out of the way
  5. Slide new tank in place
  6. Move filter and turn it on to make sure everything works
  7. Move fish
  8. Fill new tank - you can use the water you saved from the old tank or fresh water
This works for me because I have wooden floors and always put my stands on (upside down) carpet tiles so that I can move them if needed.

Ok, Iā€™m glad to hear that by switching the filter, I should be OK. I donā€™t have the room to do the slide, as you suggested, it I will set up the new tank for a few days in advance to let it settle.

Attached is a picture of my tank. The filter on it is an Aquion 30, I think. Iā€™m wondering if I might prefer a different type of filter going forward. Iā€™m happy though, when I set up the new tank, to just throw this one over the side while the new tank starts up too.

At what point should I upgrade the filter? For what gallon sized tank?

fbbf778a957ce9d0586626ef12df3d7f.png

Get some big plastic buckets or storage containers. Put you fish, plants and water from the old tank into the containers. Put the filter on them too.

Empty the gravel out of the old tank and move the tank out of the room.

Put the new tank in its place and put gravel in it, use the old gravel if you want or new stuff, it doesn't matter.

Put the old tank water into the new tank, add plants fish and filter. Then top up with dechlorinated water.

Monitor ammonia & nitrite levels over the next week and you should be good to go.

Get some big plastic buckets or storage containers. Put you fish, plants and water from the old tank into the containers. Put the filter on them too.

Empty the gravel out of the old tank and move the tank out of the room.

Put the new tank in its place and put gravel in it, use the old gravel if you want or new stuff, it doesn't matter.

Put the old tank water into the new tank, add plants fish and filter. Then top up with dechlorinated water.

Monitor ammonia & nitrite levels over the next week and you should be good to go.

Thank you! I will do exactly that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you empty the tank use some of the water to give the gravel a bit of a rinse before putting it in the new tank.

Just a couple of notes that may be food for thought.

> Although some feel that bacteria only lives in filters. In fact, BB lives in/on all hardscape and there is far more BB in the substrate than in any filter. Why in a well established tank, one could replace all of the filter media an not see a negative impact. And if it's a planted tank, plants utilize the ammonia as their nitrogen source so BB is almost insignificant.
I'd rinse/clean and reuse the old substrate unless there was a reason not to (like switching from gravel to sand).
> There is little/no benefit in using 'old' tank water. I'd restart with fresh conditioned water.
> If the intention is to use the old filter, that's fine. Otherwise, you could rinse/wash filter/sponge media from the old filter in the new tank water. It looks bad, but "instant cycles" the new tank/filter. I've done this countless times, always with success. However, if the old substrate is reused, this may just be an exercise.

The reason you use the old water is so the fish don't suffer from too much shock if the new water is not exactly the same as the old water. It acts more like a water change rather than being put into a new lot of tap water.

If you do a gravel clean the day before you take the tank apart, you won't have to wash the gravel out when you move it.

The reason you use the old water is so the fish don't suffer from too much shock if the new water is not exactly the same as the old water. It acts more like a water change rather than being put into a new lot of tap water.

In my experience (I've been doing this 50+ years too) I've never seen a negative moving fish from old tank water to new fresh water setups. Even fry do fine when moving from an established tank to a newly setup grow out tank (presuming the new tank has BB and/or plants).
Looking at this differently, this is no different than setting up a new tank, cycling it, and adding fish from the fish store!....fresher water is almost always better than old stale tank water.

Just a couple of notes that may be food for thought.

> Although some feel that bacteria only lives in filters. In fact, BB lives in/on all hardscape and there is far more BB in the substrate than in any filter. Why in a well established tank, one could replace all of the filter media an not see a negative impact. And if it's a planted tank, plants utilize the ammonia as their nitrogen source so BB is almost insignificant.
I'd rinse/clean and reuse the old substrate unless there was a reason not to (like switching from gravel to sand).
> There is little/no benefit in using 'old' tank water. I'd restart with fresh conditioned water.
> If the intention is to use the old filter, that's fine. Otherwise, you could rinse/wash filter/sponge media from the old filter in the new tank water. It looks bad, but "instant cycles" the new tank/filter. I've done this countless times, always with success. However, if the old substrate is reused, this may just be an exercise.

If I choose to use a new filter, would it be better to squeeze the old filter media into the new tank, or actually place the old filter cartridge into the new filter with the new cartridge? Does the size of my new tank make any difference?

do not use the squeezings (aka crap) from another filter. It is simply fish waste and is not helpful. The filter bacteria is on the filter materials, not in the crap.

If you want to use a new filter, clean the old filter materials out in a bucket of tank water and put them into the new filter and get it running straight away. Or leave the old filter running on the new tank with the new filter, and in 2 months time you can remove the old filter.

If I choose to use a new filter, would it be better to squeeze the old filter media into the new tank, or actually place the old filter cartridge into the new filter with the new cartridge? Does the size of my new tank make any difference?

Although they are marketing genius (because they force you to continue to buy new cartridges) I'm NOT a fan of cartridge type filters. For HOB's, I like the Aquaclear design as they allow US to control the media. I have three (3) AC filters and they are all filled completely with sponge material (Making them Hang On Back sponge filters!).*** You might also be better served with an air driven sponge filter. So down the road, you might consider an upgrade.
For now, you could either run the old filter in the new tank for a time, or 'rinse/clean' the old cartridge in the new water, or if it fits, put the old cartridge in the new filter.
*** Long ago I bought into the marketing hype regarding bio-media and have used ceramic, Seachem Matrix and DeNitrate (pumice stone), etc. But over the years I have found that sponge material makes not only the best mechanical, but also the best biological filter media platform.

do not use the squeezings (aka crap) from another filter. It is simply fish waste and is not helpful. The filter bacteria is on the filter materials, not in the crap.

If you want to use a new filter, clean the old filter materials out in a bucket of tank water and put them into the new filter and get it running straight away. Or leave the old filter running on the new tank with the new filter, and in 2 months time you can remove the old filter.

Thank you. Iā€™m going to do exactly the opposite. Lol. Iā€™m going to put the new filter on my old tank, and run it until I switch. Iā€™ve just realized that I need to make a new stand, as the one I have is not going to be long enough - Iā€™ve decided on a 38 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although they are marketing genius (because they force you to continue to buy new cartridges) I'm NOT a fan of cartridge type filters. For HOB's, I like the Aquaclear design as they allow US to control the media. I have three (3) AC filters and they are all filled completely with sponge material (Making them Hang On Back sponge filters!).*** You might also be better served with an air driven sponge filter. So down the road, you might consider an upgrade.
For now, you could either run the old filter in the new tank for a time, or 'rinse/clean' the old cartridge in the new water, or if it fits, put the old cartridge in the new filter.
*** Long ago I bought into the marketing hype regarding bio-media and have used ceramic, Seachem Matrix and DeNitrate (pumice stone), etc. But over the years I have found that sponge material makes not only the best mechanical, but also the best biological filter media platform.

Ok, that is perfect. I see that my LFS has the Aquaclear filters on sale this weekend, so I am going to pick one up and get it running on my current tank.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instant cycle - works every time! (Learned many years ago from the Bailey Brothers, PetFishTalk - "seeding your new aquarium with beneficial bacteria" in Aquarium Water podcast.)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back