"replacement"

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sputnick

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So after almost a year and a half my girl friend (ex) and I decided to split up. Instead of sulking and being depressed I decided that I'd find a new friend.. a fishy friend! The last few trips to the LFS I've seen Quite a few beautiful Betta fish and Have been very close to buying one every time.
whistling.gif
  Well with the money that I wont be spending on dates and things I decided Its time to dig out the old 10 gallon and invest in a few new items to go with it. Here is my plan that I've got together in my head;

Tank: 10 US Gallons
Lighting: Just ordered a Marineland Double Bright LED 18-24" system
Filtration: Aqueon QuiteFlow 30 which is rated at 200GPH but I know that Betta fish like little flow so idea's or opinions on this would be great.
Heater: Going to buy a 50W heater next week
Substrate: Play Sand with laterite base
Decor: Planted with Rocks and Bog Wood. Going to try and actually grow some good plants!
Ferts: API C02 Booster with Seachem Flourish. Still new to this so it would be appreciated to get a few hints on this as well.

Stocking: Betta, and possible tank mates? haha I need some help with this obviously..

Now my 45 gallon was my first tank and Like some people I didn't know what a cycle was. But this time I plan on actually investing is an API test kit ( yes I still don't have one.. 
blush.png
but my fish have been healthy so far with weekly large WC) and going through a cycle. I also really want to have amazing low-tech plants in my new tank as I'm struggling with my 45 gallon to get decent growth so hopefully I can learn with a smaller tank. But anyways. I've just ordered a new light for my 10 gallon and a maxi-jet for my 45 gallon. 
yahoo.gif
 Here is the light that I bought. Thoughts on this for plants? http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Double-Bright-24-Inch-36-Inch/dp/B0032536QK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1374906928&sr=8-4&keywords=marineland+led

My light should be here around Tuesday or Thursday. In the mean time I intend to find a spot for my tank in my room this weekend and clean it up and fill it with water and get the cycled started. Now what should I do to start the cycle? Add ammonia but I'm not sure on how to quite go about doing that.. 
blush.png

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry to hear.
I've got no clue on ferts unfortunately.
This might help if you havn't read it already: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/
Obviously you need to get a hold of some ammonia, you can find some at ace hardware. It shouldn't fizz(?) when you shake it.
At the top of the page you can use the calculator to see how much of it to add. I believe I've heard people use a syringe to add it? We used one of those tiny medicine cups that you get with cough syrup.
I think that's all I know :p

sputnick said:
Now what should I do to start the cycle? Add ammonia but I'm not sure on how to quite go about doing that.. 
blush.png

I'm not quite sure I get what you're asking.

You could lessen the flow by placing plants or ornaments in front of the intake tube.
Or, if the filter has an adjustable flow then put this on minimum.

I look forward to seeing updates :)

or putting a sponge over the outlet. as for low tech plants iv used all these in my tanks 

rotala sp. vietnam
limnophila aromatica
cryptocoryne wendtii "tropica".
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne Balansae 
Taxiphyllum alternans
Barclaya longifolia    
Aponogeton Crispus
Microsorum pteropus (java fern) iv used tons of different ones 

the barclaya is one of my fav's atm 

tank mates, have you thought about some shrimp? cherry's are nice and come in a lot of different colours 

and them lights should be fine for a low tech 

to know how much ammonia to add get a small known volume of water add drips and test until you reach 3-5ppm then scale that up to your tank size 

Thanks Girls and Mike 
yes.gif
I did remember that this Forum has a lot of knowledge already in its pages and had myself a read through on cycling and understand it better now. I also had a read through the ferts info but I should read it again because I didn't understand much of it at 1:30 A.M.
rolleyes.gif
  Mike also if you don't like math or are too lazy there is a calculator linked in the cycling article for figuring out how much ammonia to dose. Also thanks for those plant suggestions that helps a ton! I suck with latin names too haha 
tongue2.gif
I can see why Barclaya longifolia is one of your favorites. I definetaly want some of that with limnophila aromatica as well. I've got some crypts in my 45 gallon right now and I do like the look of them so I may add some of those in too.

As for cherry shrimp I've never kept them before but I think that they would be pretty cool. I also did a little research into tank mates and was wondering about microrasboras. I'd like a small school of fish but I know with Betta fish that I shouldn't keep my hopes up too much with that but whats your opinions?

depends on the betta, but if the tank is planted enough with hiding places it should be fine

I've always gone with the cut water bottle technique for the outflow. Take a plastic water bottle and cut it in half and to about half an inch smaller than the filters output and wedge it between the filter and lid. This only works on HOB filters like yours ;)

As far as ferts I've done it once on a 10 gallon myself but I've forgotten everything lol. If you're ik the US you can get the ferts you need at bobstropicalplants.com. You'll need to make a macro and a micro solution that you switch off using everyday. For the micro you'll only need the plantex csm+b powder and to make the macro I was most successful using K2SO4, KNO3, and KH2PO4 mixed together into fert bottles. I also used some seachem flourish. If only I knew how I made the mixture. It was fairly easy to do you just need a ounces scale a jug for 500 or 1,000 mL and water. To find out how much you'll need to use you can find it online. Just google ferts mixture for freshwater planted tank or something.

Hope I helped!

Thanks Man of fish! every little bit helps when your new like me! 
good.gif
I ran accross the baffle idea when doing research last night and I may very well try that first and see how it works. I don't want to mess with the amount of water that is running through the filter but rather how its dispersed once it exits the filter. So the baffle seems like it should fit the ticket so to speak. 

UPDATE: Got the tank all washed out and cleaned off a spot on my nightstand next to my bed and my other tank. I also gave my filter a good cleaning Impeller and all. I stuck an old bulky heater in the tank for now along with some bog wood and a few rocks that probably wont get used but oh well. I thought I had playsand in the garage but I think my dad might have used it for his horse shoe pits 
shout.gif
So I'll have to add that to my list of things to pick up this week. So as it sits now the tank is full of water, heater is on, and the filter is running with only filter floss in it at the moment until I can pick up some more media for my external and take some out of that to seed this one. Once temp gets where I want it tonight I will add some shrimp pellets to start the cycle.

After looking on that amazing site that Man of fish so kindly gave to me. I believe the CSM+B NKP Combo Pack seems to have everything I need. At a good price it seems too. I plan on ordering these Ferts along with a 1000ML Fertilizer dispenser. Then I will dose Micro and Macro Ferts along with seachem flourish and API C02 booster. How does this sound?

Sounds good to me! I did the same thing back when I had a 10 gallon planted except the API co2 booster. Grew everything fine except stargrass.... Not sure why I couldn't grow stargrass.... Oh and be warned! These ferts contain copper so don't try keeping shrimp! It's a waste of your money! I always seemed to do fine with ghosts though.... Maybe it was just my water but I feel like I found copper. Can't remember :idk:

Man of fish said:
Sounds good to me! I did the same thing back when I had a 10 gallon planted except the API co2 booster. Grew everything fine except stargrass.... Not sure why I couldn't grow stargrass.... Oh and be warned! These ferts contain copper so don't try keeping shrimp! It's a waste of your money! I always seemed to do fine with ghosts though.... Maybe it was just my water but I feel like I found copper. Can't remember :idk:
alright thanks for the heads up! 
good.gif
 I'll double check before I make plans on adding shrimp. I'm liking the idea of a Betta with microrasboras. Although I'd really like to try some cory cats or maybe otto's. But I'm not sure about tank size and compatability

In a ten gallon a group of 6 Pygmy cories, 6 micro rasboras and a Betta would be good. But you'd be fully stocked IMO.

Man of fish said:
In a ten gallon a group of 6 Pygmy cories, 6 micro rasboras and a Betta would be good. But you'd be fully stocked IMO.
that does seem a little tight though

My filter turnover rate should be around 20 times an hour which is pretty good, But i could always add another filter if need be. My local petsmart always had aqueon products on sale and could pick another quiet flow 30 for around $20. But I must admit the Fluval C series looks like an amazing HOB filter..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back