Replaced Bulbs.. Now Algae :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scottca

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you can help, my tank was looking very dull and tired and so it was time for me to get back into it.

I replaced my bulbs with a couple from lamp specs, I went for 1x grolux and a 880 Philips, at the same time I also purchased an 865 and 845 to test out the colour combinations.

I stuck with the 880 and the grolux, all my bba has started to die back and the plants are starting to grow well again (I'm not EI dosing and don't have my co2 running). I thought I would work my way back into it slowly.

The only thing is, I now have a thin green film across the top of my water, the filter outputs are breaking the service but it seems to be persistent and is refusing to go away!

I this m choice of bulbs? Is it most likely the 880 or grolux if that's the case and ill swap them out with the others I have spare.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Craig

Provided you haven't changed anything else it's safe to say your new lighting is brighter than the old causing a shortfall in your CO2 - Up your CO2 if you can or reduce your lighting period.

IMO

IMO,

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought of that, my co2 has been off for quite a while now so ill look at starting that back up.

At the same time as replacing my lights I also added new reflectors so the light output has significantly increased. I didn't release a lack of co2 would cause algae.

In the meantime ill reduce my lighting period.

Am I ok to keep the current bulbs, it's not a specific one that could cause this?

Craig

You should be able to keep the new bulbs. You just need to get the lighting and co2 set correctly. you should also consider flow rates in your tank too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back