red tailed black shark

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sazash

Reaction score
well after lots of water changes and tests the tank was ready for more fish, so yesterday my son bought a redtailed black shark and 2 Red Admiral Gourami.

we were aware that the shark may be aggressive with its own kind and when its older :/ but its already seems to be chasing the others...... do you think he should go back before he stresses out the other fish or is he just 'trying it on' in a new set-up??? -_-

today we added a clown loach, a tiny sucking loach and 2 Neon Tetra (to make 5 in total).. The shark seems to be chasing the clown loach in particular, is this because its the same size?? -_-

we have plants, rocks and bogwood for retreats....do you think it would work??

Sara

I would say to wait and see how it plays out. The rtbs is just showing his dominance and once established things should settle down.

today we added a clown loach, a tiny sucking loach and 2 Neon Tetra (to make 5 in total).. The shark seems to be chasing the clown loach in particular, is this because its the same size??

I think it's for the same reason as above..they are new and it probably doesn't help that they are on the botom along with the rtbs. It should slow down in a couple days and if not or if it gets too bad before then, then you might have to decide which to get rid of, but I don't think that will be an issue.

I have 3 clown loaches and a RTS and they are best buddies. Wait a few days and see if they are ok. If not...............take both of them out.................re-arrange everything and then put them back in. I find this time out works well with pretty much all species. You could also try taking the shark out and putting him in another tank for a few days and then re-introducing him. You might want to get another loach or two as they need the companionship. My loach's personality changed so much after we got two more. He is much happier now. They all like to play together.
Check out my pics of them on the photo forum. They are a blast.
Deb

I don't actually think your rtbs is going to be your problem... what is a tiny sucking loach? I'm guessing you mean a baby CAE. If this is the case, he will cause you more problems in a community tank than the rtbs would ever think of causing. He will grow up to be big and very nasty, going after your rtbs and definitely your gouramis. Also, your tank works out to be about 24 gallons; your clown loach will outgrow it by a long shot. Just keep an eye on your shark; I bet he's not doing any damage, just establishing some territory.

thanks for the advice,

the sucking loach is tiny, its only 1" long at the moment and we were told it will grow to about 4".

we know the clown loach can grow big but again advised that he shouldn't grow bigger than 5/6".

i think we'll give the RTBS a couple more days, and hope they all live happily ever after!!! :thumbs: :p ;)

Sara

after posting this morning we went back to LFS, and after talking to the men decided to take RTBS back.
we've replaced him with 2 Black Widows which are stunning.

Sara

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

we know the clown loach can grow big but again advised that he shouldn't grow bigger than 5/6".

They misinformed you. A clown loach will get up to 12" long.

>>> They misinformed you

If the "sucking loach" they sold you is - indeed - a Chinese Algae Eater - then doubly so. They get big, territorial, bad tempered - stop eating algae and start harrassing the other fish. They are not suitable community fish for beginners.

Clown loaches regulaly reach 8 inches and should be kept in groups of 3 or more.

thats what the lfs called them anyway -_-

they're like a shimmering blue silver striped with red??????????? -_-

:santa:

Sara

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

I would listen to LL and Kirsten and take that sucking loach back if it's a CAE. You might regret it if you don't.

>>> they're like a shimmering blue silver striped with red

Almost certainly one of the dozens of line bred colour morphs of Colisa lalia, the Dwarf Gourami. They all have soaring pretentious names which vary from supplier to supplier further confusing things.

The Clown loach should not be in there on his\her own as they need to be in groups.
If the tank is not big enough to accomodate this then he should be taken back as well really.... :(

When I added my RTBS into his new home his was greeted by 10 very curious T Barbs. They chased him for a couple of hours, then he chased them for a couple of hours. Then they all got bored and got on with their own thing.

Top tip (IMO) : If you have problems with Tiger Barbs chasing other fishes, drop in very tiny amounts of food at frequent intervals. This takes their mind off every other fish in the tank instantly, and gives all the fish time to calm down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back