Red Snakehead

john2708

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi can a red snakehead be kept with any of the following: oscars,jaguar cichlids,texas,midas cheers for any replies

No no and er no, mate red snakeheads better known as Channa micropeltes are not red for long, secondly the grow huge and are exstemely predatory, when young its possible,but thats not long, they will need a massive tank and grow to atleast three feet in length,...as said what size tank are we taking?
Theres only one member here at present who keeps these beautys, look out for "gasmask"

Had to laugh at some info i read a while ago...

Sci Name:
Channa micropeltes
Family:
Channidae
Origin:
India; Thailand; Burma; Malaysia
Max Size:
39"
pH:
Neutral
Temp:
75-81 F.
Tank Size:
100 Gallons
Feeding:
Carnivorous

which is all good, then it goes on to say it will need atleast a 100g tank :crazy: for a fish that you advertised yourself as obtaining nearly four foot in lenth.. :lol:

nottinghamshire the thing is my mate has dumped this baby red snake head on me and i dont know what to do with it

Have a look on aquarium classified theres often people on there with huge tropical ponds that will rescue fish but it might be a long drive to the nearest one.

How big is it? id imagine it will be ok in the tank for a while.but if you have those fish,make sure no one can eat it,or visa versa, they just grow big, and are not the best at keeping with other fish, have you looked at aqauriast classifieds and offering it there, problem is not many people have a tank big enough..

yes i have oscars jags texas there not big enought to him nor his he big enough to eat them he is about 8cm long i must say i have fallen for him he is a beautiful fish but im not gonna keep him if i cant be comfortable housed in my tank

Its a shame as they get even better looking as they mature,totally changing colour and apperence, have you got any pictures of your current stock,i tried the jag and oscar combo,worked for two year then suddenly jag wanted to own the 150gallon tank, but it can work,but please air caution

Hi!
You have been landed with a monster for sure!

These guys grow at an immense speed, and even at a few inches they can take down fish twice their size.
They will kill fish just for the sake of it being alive and in their tank.
This is not an over exaggeration, this is from my own experience and I have lost a few much larger fish to mine.

700L will be OK for a few months as long as it is the only fish in the tank.
You will eventually need to double the tank size though.

Unless you are sure you can house this beast, and can afford the SERIOUS amounts of food and the crazy filtration needed, I would do my best to rehome him ASAP.

I am not trying to put you off keeping him, as I love mine to bits but you really do have to be well prepared for these guys.

one of those ate my mums 2 full grown oscars over night the day she brought it home.
it was only little when she got it as well. i'd be really careful

Most reactions

Back