Red mark on leopard cory

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

M green can affect the filter, but only after a certain amount. I wouldn't opt to use these, not in this case.

But API General Cure shouldn't have these, it should just be Praziquantel and Metronidazole.

M green can affect the filter, but only after a certain amount. I wouldn't opt to use these, not in this case.

But API General Cure shouldn't have these, it should just be Praziquantel and Metronidazole.
Yeah I’ve asked about the api general cure and we have three pet shops in my town and none stock it it’s a real pain . I can get it on eBay but will take a month to get here in Australia . I don’t know I think someone is trying to make my life hard lol. Doesn’t look like they stock it in Australia at all have to order in from USA it seems

Then I'd opt for plain Praziquantel. May be easier for you.

M green and m blue have their uses, but they won't be effective for what you need.

And of course, clean water is always a good start, will dilute any bad bacteria present or any other irritant and help the situation

Then I'd opt for plain Praziquantel. May be easier for you.

M green and m blue have their uses, but they won't be effective for what you need.

And of course, clean water is always a good start, will dilute any bad bacteria present or any other irritant and help the situation
Will do , I’ll let you know what happens in a few days hopefully it will be alright . Thanks again for taking the time out to help me you’re very kind.

I’m nearly a hundred percent sure the issue was the gravel . I’ve got this very fine gravel in my other Cory tanks and it seems the new bag I bought is a fraction bigger and sharper than I’ve bought before I don’t know why but it is. When they are filtering through they are scraping themselves just behind the gills and pectoral fins . This is really annoying as the first couple of bags I bought where very fine almost like sand but a fraction bigger. Is there anything else I can use apart from play sand? This is primarily a breeding tank and it seems like very hard work too clean the play sand with a siphon and am worried it won’t be clean enough and pockets will be created .

I have sand in my tanks and find them easier to clean than gravel. I just hold the tube slightly above the same and the debris lifts off and into the tube.
Malaysian trumpet snails will tunnel through the sand and stop gas pockets building up.

Praziquantel is used to treat tapeworm in animals and fish, and gill flukes in fish. Deworming medications are quite safe and don't normally affect fish. Medications should be used at full strength to prevent drug resistance occurring in the targeted species of parasite.

API General Cure contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole. Metronidazole is an anti-biotic and should only be used to treat internal protozoan infections that have not responded to normal treatments. Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, animals, birds and fish.

---------------------
The catfish in the pictures appears to have an injury at the base of the pectoral fin. Metronidazole and Praziquantel will not help this.

You can try adding salt or use a broad spectrum fish medication that treats fungus, bacteria and protozoan infections. However, salt is generally safer.

--------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate will not affect plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back