Red mark on leopard cory

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Anthony1976

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all , just wondering if you could take a look at this fish for me . Had around ten of them for around two weeks in their own tank with a view to breeding them. Noticed this red mark near the fin on one of them yesterday and I haven’t seen this before so I’m confused as to what it is. Tank is fully cycled with 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia and 10 nitrates . 30 gallon tank with fluval 307 and Also a sponge filter so ample filtration . Could this be an injury ? Or is it something else ? I regularly vacuum the gravel and the conditions in the tank are pristine. The fish is eating and is very active . Have been feeding a bit of bloodworm and quality pellets to boost their immune systems .

Attachments

• F4302CEE-8435-459E-9E51-3D3A342B037A.jpeg
    F4302CEE-8435-459E-9E51-3D3A342B037A.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 7896C377-3EEF-4EC3-B9CE-F6F6B4C8E25D.jpeg
    7896C377-3EEF-4EC3-B9CE-F6F6B4C8E25D.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 4EB461FE-25D9-4864-A1CA-0932CF4C7472.jpeg
    4EB461FE-25D9-4864-A1CA-0932CF4C7472.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
The gills look inflamed on this one. Also relatively thin too.

I would look into a couple possibilities.

1) you could be dealing with a parasite issue, such as gill flukes.

2) as @itiwhetu said, the sand could be the issue, this sand is coarser than most, more of a fine gravel rather than a fine sand, and cories sift sand through their gills when they feed, so coarse gravel can damage the delicate gill tissues.

Id first choose to switch this substrate to a fine play sand.

Second, watch for signs of flukes, which can be gasping at the surface, inability to close the gills, excess mucus production on the skin, or any visible worm-like things hanging off the skin, very difficult to see by eye though.

Keep the water super clean to help it heal, do daily water changes until the redness goes away.

If switching the substrate doesn't help, I would treat with General Cure or Praziquantel to be safe.

The gills look inflamed on this one. Also relatively thin too.

I would look into a couple possibilities.

1) you could be dealing with a parasite issue, such as gill flukes.

2) as @itiwhetu said, the sand could be the issue, this sand is coarser than most, more of a fine gravel rather than a fine sand, and cories sift sand through their gills when they feed, so coarse gravel can damage the delicate gill tissues.

Id first choose to switch this substrate to a fine play sand.

Second, watch for signs of flukes, which can be gasping at the surface, inability to close the gills, excess mucus production on the skin, or any visible worm-like things hanging off the skin, very difficult to see by eye though.

Keep the water super clean to help it heal, do daily water changes until the redness goes away.

If switching the substrate doesn't help, I would treat with General Cure or Praziquantel to be safe.
Thankyou very much for the reply good information as always. I have changed out the gravel as I don’t think it’s quite the same I use in the other Cory tanks it might be a tad bigger and have decided to use some Melafix and pimafix in combination to rule out any bacterial problems . If after a few days I don’t see any change I will try with the harder and parasite treatment I’m hesitant to do this at the moment as it will possibly kill my beneficial bacteria and don’t want a tank full of Cory’s with an uncycled filter so that’s the reason I’m going down the softer option first. Have taken a look with a magnifying glass at the area in question and to me it looks more like a sore or a lesion so hopefully it isn’t Gill flukes as you said as that is another ball game altogether and am praying this isn’t the case . I will update you in a few days thanks greatly

Last edited:
I dont think Praziquantel will affect your beneficial bacteria, it does not affect bacteria

There was a fluke and tapeworm treatment tablet I saw that contained praziquantel but on the instructions on the reverse it said use with caution with catfish and corydoras which put me off a bit.

Half dose it, alternatives are also flubendozole (half dose) or Fenbendazole (unsure) for flukes.

Best bet is General Cure, use it half dose. Its Praziquantel and Metronidazole

Half dose it, alternatives are also flubendozole (half dose) or Fenbendazole (unsure) for flukes.

Best bet is General Cure, use it half dose. Its Praziquantel and Metronidazole
Ok will do, I really appreciate the help Thankyou . Man I really love buying new fish but there is always the risk there bringing something in with them isn’t there . It’s such a gamble, it’s a good thing I put them in their own tank .

The only general cure they had down there was aqua one general cure which had malachite green in there and meth blue which will kill all bacteria in my tank good or bad?

The only general cure they had down there was aqua one general cure which had malachite green in there and meth blue which will kill all bacteria in my tank good or bad?
Yeah I mean the bacteria that’s not good unlike beneficial bacteria

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back