Red Cherry Shrimp Breeding

NickAu

Fish Connoisseur
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi guys I noticed at least 2 of my cherry shrimp are carrying eggs, Do I need to do anything special? Or just let nature take its course.
Sorry about the photo.
oaderm.jpg

Lots of things to hide in but that's about it, cherries will breed like mad :)

Yeah no worries. They will take care of themselves.

Cool thanks.

Vid of my tank, I gave the Betta away. ( Long Story ) Now its just neon tetras shrimp snails and 2 bn plecos
https://youtu.be/vsBY_aDfMHs

That is a nice tank

Always nice to see berried female shrimps :)

Though seeing the TINY TINY little shrimplets are better to see :lol:

These little shrimplets will hide a lot until they are big enough and confident to come out in open.

Ch4rlie said:
Always nice to see berried female shrimps :)

Though seeing the TINY TINY little shrimplets are better to see :lol:

These little shrimplets will hide a lot until they are big enough and confident to come out in open.
I've just looked in my shrimp tank and I've got little tiny babies :D also spotted some more berried females, they seem to hide more than the others! The babies are so cute though! Don't think I realised what I was getting myself into when I bought all these shrimp haha

It will take months for them to overpopulate your tank and once you get a good number of them I think you will like the look of the tank with all the shrimp sitting everywhere. And if you start to worry about having too many you can get some kind of fish that will start eating the babies. With cover, 2 or 3 will survive out of every hatching. 

I have like 100 cherry shrimp haha
There are also no fish in their tank now so they'll breed even more!

Nick I would only really expect a pet shop to pay around $1 per shrimp, they might sell them for $5 but thats the mark up on the product. Even if you get high grade super expenisve shrimp like King Kongs and Pandas from private breeders most shops will not pay the private price, so only rejects from any dedicated breeding programs tend to make it to shops solely to make room for the desired trait shrimp to continue breeding and developing the strain being worked on.
That said, enjoy your shimp keeping, and study them (I am sure you will find them addictive LOL), and start looking for the best of the best out of your stock and begin developing your own line.
And even though I have been told on numerous occassions that shrimp need to be on dark substrate to show their best colour, I know from experience that this is not true. I had deep red/ crimson cherry shrimp happy in a tank with pure white sand. Provided the genetics are good and the water paramters are to their liking and good varied food supplies are given your shrimp can go from plain Janes to Divas.

Cherries end up as fish food here, they breed like wildfire!

I'm going to pick out some of the reddest and they will be going into a different tank, the culls can stay in with the BN

Most reactions

Back