Recovering from a disaster

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
A while back I forgot to turn off the heater during a water change - I caught it pretty quickly but the shock killed most of the fish in the tank. Looking at the heater filter cord and all the other cords around it - they basically melted. Then, around the same time, we were working on my new 50 gallon tank and removed the fish (all large Gourami) to a large bucket with airstones. We thought it would be for about 30 minutes but it turned into about 2 hours and all the fish in the bucket were dead. I know better - I've never put so many fish in a bucket together, especially ones this size - usually 1-2 per bucket and we had 6. Maybe it was an unconsious murder as I always hated those fish - they were ugly and took up too much space - in fact that is why I bought a 50 gallon. Anyway my other tank is a 29 gallon and the soon to be back tank is 29 gallon. I also have a little 6 gallon betta tank (he is the friendliest fish I've ever had - I was shocked). So how do I best divide the fish I have between 3 tanks

Tank A (29 gallons)
2 Dojo Loach
1 color changing Gourami (he's usually pissed off and turned himself black otherwise Blue/Red Striped - I've never found another fish that did this)
Bristlenose Lemon Pleco
Blue Phantom Pleco (ridiculously expensive and you never see him LOL)
Thomasi L188a *when we can find him)
Neon Tetra (12)
Rasbora black harlequin (5)
Honey Dwarf gold Gourami (cute little fish)

Tank B (50 gallons)

Pearl/Passion Gourami (1 survived)
Dojo Loach (4)
Glofish (6)
Catfish (2 when we can find them)
Kubotai Loach (2)

Tank D (29 gallons)
To be determined

Water Stats:
Ammonia :0
Nitrites: Tank A:.25, Tank B - 0
Nitrates: 0
PH: ranges from 6.8 to 7.4

I'm ok with moving anything around that I need to. My assistant and I though Angelfish would be lovely along with the Pearl Gourami but I find that Angelfish are one big pain in the neck and my Pearl couldn't handle any semi aggressive fish he/she just wants a quiet life probably as far from loaches as possible. I half thought about putting all the loaches in one tank together and adding a couple more species. I had some YoYo's that died in the electrocution accident and they were nice fish. BUT the best thing about the Dojo's is that they eat all the snails and I hate snails more than anything, We still have a handful but before we got the Dojo's we had HUNDREDS so we divided the dojo's up among the tanks and the total snail population is down. I like Dwarf Gourami OK. I have the Rasboras and the Neo-tetras so I DON'T want any more tiny fish. 2-3 inches in size would be optimal.

Any and all suggestions will be taken seriously and I'm not afraid to spend money if it's something nice. Thanks for the help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back