Recommended Tang Tank Size?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kuzyaburst

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting 2 tangs, Yellow Tang, and Blue Tang. I'm also wanting to add a couple Seahorses to the tank. What size should I get? I was wondering if they would live happy in maybe 50 or a 70 gallon? Yes I know 70 is better than 50 but, I want to know... will they still be happy in a 50g? If I am able to put the fish in the 50g and save some money that'd be great! 

I would say no. You need a 75G just for one. I think a 70 is fine if its a long tank. And seahorses, while i have never own them, are better in a species only tank and they prefer a tall tank. If any fish goes with them they should br slow eaters lilr maybe a goby. So you might need a much larger tank or different tanks

Dreamer03 said:
I would say no. You need a 75G just for one. I think a 70 is fine if its a long tank. And seahorses, while i have never own them, are better in a species only tank and they prefer a tall tank. If any fish goes with them they should br slow eaters lilr maybe a goby. So you might need a much larger tank or different tanks
I see, thanks for the response! I might just hold off on the seahorse idea.

Depending on seahorses i think you can have them in a 20-30g but i am not 100% sure

The short answer is no. Tangs need a lot of space to remain happy and, more importantly, healthy. Most need on the order of 100gal or more. The issue with tangs is that they are big, fast swimmers and, even if there is enough space for them as youngsters, they get big enough that a 50gal would seem tiny. Blue tangs can grow to be a foot long - that's 1/4 the length of the average 50gal; not much swimming space for them at that point. Tangs are also really, really disease prone when stressed and they are also stressed by cramped spaces (this is part of why so many tangs get ich immediately in store holding tanks even when other fish remain healthy in the same ), so it's basically asking for trouble putting them in anything but quite large tanks.

And, as Dreamer03 said, seahorses really need a species tank or to be in with similarly finicky eaters like pipefish. They are tricky to feed compared to many other marine fish. Some seahorse species can be kept in smaller tanks though (nanos) as long as the stocking is sparse and the tank is built around their needs.

Donya said:
The short answer is no. Tangs need a lot of space to remain happy and, more importantly, healthy. Most need on the order of 100gal or more. The issue with tangs is that they are big, fast swimmers and, even if there is enough space for them as youngsters, they get big enough that a 50gal would seem tiny. Blue tangs can grow to be a foot long - that's 1/4 the length of the average 50gal; not much swimming space for them at that point. Tangs are also really, really disease prone when stressed and they are also stressed by cramped spaces (this is part of why so many tangs get ich immediately in store holding tanks even when other fish remain healthy in the same ), so it's basically asking for trouble putting them in anything but quite large tanks.

And, as Dreamer03 said, seahorses really need a species tank or to be in with similarly finicky eaters like pipefish. They are tricky to feed compared to many other marine fish. Some seahorse species can be kept in smaller tanks though (nanos) as long as the stocking is sparse and the tank is built around their needs.
Is 10 gallons alright for maybe 2-3 Seahorses? I have a 10g laying around I can cycle it and maybe get the horses in. Also I want to have atleast one fish in there other than the horses what is a good fish? If there's no good fish I'll just do seahorses only.

I think it is depending on the type of seahorse but Donya knows a lot more than me on saltwater. Sorry to ask but have you had saltwater fish before? Has for fish, i have seen them with smaller gobies and once i saw with a clownfish but i wouldnt recomend the clown.

Dreamer03 said:
I think it is depending on the type of seahorse but Donya knows a lot more than me on saltwater. Sorry to ask but have you had saltwater fish before? Has for fish, i have seen them with smaller gobies and once i saw with a clownfish but i wouldnt recomend the clown.
Yeah a 46 gallon a while back. I currently have a 36g freshie setup and I want to either setup a small 29g biocube with a couple of fish or... a 55 - 125 gallon tank with a yellow Hawaiian tang and a couple other fish, but since I can't add seahorses to this tank I'm thinking of just getting another nano and putting tthe seahorses there. A couple buddies of mine have a 30g and a 55g tank, I'm thinking of either grabbing theres or buying one from this guy on craigslist who offered me a very nice 125g for 200$ with a canister filter and some other equipment. 

kuzyaburst said:

Is 10 gallons alright for maybe 2-3 Seahorses? I have a 10g laying around I can cycle it and maybe get the horses in. Also I want to have atleast one fish in there other than the horses what is a good fish? If there's no good fish I'll just do seahorses only.

The only commercially available seahorse that would suit a 10 gallon is Hippocampus zosterae which need a constant large supply of newly hatched live foods because they are so tiny. So much so that the smaller the tank(within reason) the better with them as it's easier to keep the numbers higher in a smaller body of water. However, it's harder to keep the water quality perfect(or near perfect) in a smaller body of water too. So I would not call them a suitable first seahorse species.

Seahorses are not easy to care for, they are difficult feeders and water quality affects them easily.
The "easiest"(I say that lightly) would be Hippocampus kuda or Hippocampus reidi. Both of which need 30 gallons as an absolute minimum for one(1) pair and nothing else. 40 gallons would be much better. 

Once again, seahorses are not easy. However, if you wanted the "easiest" option you'd have to source true captive bred seahorses but you have to be careful as most of them are captive farmed.

I thought some more about the sea horse and decided that i'm going to get a separate tank for the seahorse (36gallon), and also a BioCube 29g as my current main tank. I wanted to know if this is a good stocking list for the 29 gallon: Black Ocellaris Clownfish (2), Jawfish, Blue Dot (1), Royal Gramma Basslet (1), Purple Firefish (2), Flame Angel (1), Mandarin Dragonet (1). YES, I know the Mandarin Dragonet needs pods to survive that is why I will be adding him last and when my tank has established, I while also use my 10g tank as refugium/ copepod breeder tank. My LFS also only sells the JBJ 28g BioCube, but I wanted to get the Coral Life 29g Biocube and I heard of problems with shipping for Coral life's Biocubes so I'm starting to notice the JBJ some more but am still nervous. I'm scared of ordering the 29G Biocube because it might get damaged and i'm also nervous about the JBJ. What do you guys recommend getting? Ordering the 29g BioCube online or just buying the JBJ 28g from my LFS?

The clowns, bassalet and firefish should be fine. The mandarin goby is an iffy and the angel eould be a no. It is too sall for the angel thats for sure

kuzyaburst said:
I thought some more about the sea horse and decided that i'm going to get a separate tank for the seahorse (36gallon), and also a BioCube 29g as my current main tank. I wanted to know if this is a good stocking list for the 29 gallon: Black Ocellaris Clownfish (2), Jawfish, Blue Dot (1), Royal Gramma Basslet (1), Purple Firefish (2), Flame Angel (1), Mandarin Dragonet (1). YES, I know the Mandarin Dragonet needs pods to survive that is why I will be adding him last and when my tank has established, I while also use my 10g tank as refugium/ copepod breeder tank. My LFS also only sells the JBJ 28g BioCube, but I wanted to get the Coral Life 29g Biocube and I heard of problems with shipping for Coral life's Biocubes so I'm starting to notice the JBJ some more but am still nervous. I'm scared of ordering the 29G Biocube because it might get damaged and i'm also nervous about the JBJ. What do you guys recommend getting? Ordering the 29g BioCube online or just buying the JBJ 28g from my LFS?
Clowns - Yes, should be fine. Be prepared for them to pair up and start fighting though. They tend to do that.
Blue Spot Jawfish - Should be OK but are pricey so be prepared for that lol.
Royal Gramma - Will most likely fight with the Jawfish. They look cute but they can be very aggressive.
Purple Firefish - Will fight with the Gramma - Once again, look cute but very aggressive to similar shaped fish. *Edit: Just noticed you put 2 for these. Big no, they will fight each other. It only works when there's a LOT of space to escape each other and a lot of live rock and even then it can be iffy.
Flame Angel - Too big for the tank.
Mandarin - Should be OK.

The fish I listed as "OK" would be good for the tank, but I wouldn't personally put them together as it could get really nasty and could be counted as overstocking(IMO, Marine tanks should be lightly stocked compared to freshwaters)
smile.png

I had a gramma with a firefish in a 30g. Didnt have problem but i could have been lucky. And i agree with the above post dont put two firefish together unless you have a larger tank.

Dreamer03 said:
I had a gramma with a firefish in a 30g. Didnt have problem but i could have been lucky. And i agree with the above post dont put two firefish together unless you have a larger tank.

It can work, but with the Jawfish as well in the mix there's three fish that are similar shapes and all semi-aggressive towards similar shaped fish.
My fiance had a Seahorse set-up that had a Firefish(standard orange), two Orange Banded Pipefish and a Red Scooter Dragonet. This worked well, the Firefish was shy though and hid in the rocks with the first sign of movement so if you wanted to see him you had to sit very still.
The Red Scooter Dragonet was funny, always showing off to me lol. Hated me, when he saw me his fin went up and he attacked the glass XD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back