Update aquarium size - recommendations?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Megan2022

Reaction score
Hiya,

So I have had a 64 litre tank for about two years, now I think I have mastered how to do all the necessary water changes/cleaning gravel and maintaining good water perimeters. I feel sort of brave enough to get a bigger tank.

I can't be too massive because of space but definitely want to go bigger.

I've currently got:

2 dwarf Congo frogs
1 simease fighter
4 neon tetras (did have 8 but 4 died in my early learning stages - the survivers are 2 years old).
4 juilli corys
3 nitrate snails
2 little shrimps

The tank mates all seem happy, unstressed and get on with each other. No fighting or nipping.

I've got 2 Amazon sword plants, ones getting quite big and two smaller similar looking leaves but the name of it has left my mind, a coconut with jazz fern and just added some Amazon frogbit to one side of the tank. I would love to be able to add more plants but not ruin their swimming space at the same time if you catch my drift so definitely need to upgrade.

Any suggestions on tanks, and maybe the filters that suit that size?

Much appreciated!

Thank you

The usual wise advice is to look at space and budget, and get the largest tank you can.

First, you'll discover larger tanks are actually quicker and easier to take care. They also allow you to expand a little, have more plants, and maybe add some fish.

Any suggestions on tanks, and maybe the filters that suit that size?
Do you have a measurement of the space you want to put it? (Length X Width X Height) Would you prefer this tank to be from a shop or online? Budget/Price range?

Always have a look at 2nd hand also. There can be some good deals but keep an open mind to potential damage, leaks, etc

100% agree with Gary as well

The usual wise advice is to look at space and budget, and get the largest tank you can.

First, you'll discover larger tanks are actually quicker and easier to take care. They also allow you to expand a little, have more plants, and maybe add some fish.
Yeah I have heard this, just seems like a scary prospect still haha. Thank you!

Do you have a measurement of the space you want to put it? (Length X Width X Height) Would you prefer this tank to be from a shop or online? Budget/Price range?

Always have a look at 2nd hand also. There can be some good deals but keep an open mind to potential damage, leaks, etc

100% agree with Gary as well
I think without my husband divorcing me, length no more than 40 inches and width 18 inches, not too concerned on height but I am 5ft 7 so not massively high!

Would rather buy from shop/online to have some warranty but if second hand meets my budget than so be it.

Within 250-300 price range.

Thank you!

Just some to look at :)

140 Litre (77 x 45 x 40) - included light and filter (Needs heater and possibly lid) - £249.99

140 Litre (80 x 40 x 45) - No add-ons just tank (not in stock atm) - £179.99

114 Litre (80 x 40 x 40) - Included light and 3-stage filtration compartment - £229.99

105 Litre (75 x 35 x 40) - Includes LED Light, Internal Filter, 100W Heater - £169.99

Most of these aquariums have smaller sizes available also if that is wanted.

edit - I completely forgot to ask! Do you have a unit/stand already to put this tank on?

140 Litre (77 x 45 x 40) - included light and filter (Needs heater and possibly lid) - £249.99

114 Litre (80 x 40 x 40) - Included light and 3-stage filtration compartment - £229.99

105 Litre (75 x 35 x 40) - Includes LED Light, Internal Filter, 100W Heater - £169.99

edit - I completely forgot to ask! Do you have a unit/stand already to put this tank on?
Amazing, you're diamond, thank you very much!!

No to the stand but I can get one once I've figured out what size tank I'm going for haha!

No to the stand but I can get one once I've figured out what size tank I'm going for haha!
Good luck with the tank hunting! Another thing I would say is to look in stores to get a general idea of sizes. I made the mistake of getting a 90L tank thinking it wasn't that big. And oh boy I was wrong, but I kept it anyway :devil:. It's probably because I've been used to nano tanks 😂

Good luck with the tank hunting! Another thing I would say is to look in stores to get a general idea of sizes. I made the mistake of getting a 90L tank thinking it wasn't that big. And oh boy I was wrong, but I kept it anyway :devil:. It's probably because I've been used to nano tanks 😂
Haha yeah this is my worry. It's all good using a tape measure until the thing is in the room 😂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back