Recommend Me A Quiet Air Pump

Geoff1991

AKA "Sparky"
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
1,439
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Wolverhampton, UK
I have an elite 802 air pump and its doing my head in with its low pitched hum!

Im looking for a quiet pump with 2 outlets and possibly adjustable air flow (not necessary though as i can always stick a gang valve on it)

For a 60l tank, so nothing overkill.

No price range, if it does what i want ill buy it

Links to ebay uk/uk based sties to buy from would also be appreciated

Thanks
 
Supafish Airflow pumps are fairly quiet but you'll get a hum with any pump unfortunately. I've an Airflow 1 for in summer if the temp. gets in to the mid 80's, to add extra aeration.
 
look on ebay for aquaerauk

thay have a 2 outlet adjustable airpump
its quite quiet as i have one

but as previously stated all pumps have some noise
 
I had an Elite before my Supafish and the latter is much quieter! My wife was moaning about the Elite in summer but hasn't with the Supafish!
 
Well some noise is ok. But the loud humming of the elite does my head in.
I switched from the Elite 802 to a Rena pump because of the noise the Elite was making. I'm not sure what specific model the Rena I have is, but it is much much quieter than the Elite and is smaller, however it only has one outlet. But, it does come with a splitter attachment to enable you to run two air lines from it and seems more than powerful enough for my 60l tank. The guy in my lfs said the Arena line of air pumps were the quietest he had experienced, if that counts for anything.
 
Tetra ones are very quite. the design of it is to make it quite as possible and does the job well. highely recommened as i bought one 2 days ago as i had same problem.
 
I just brought a tetra whisper for up to 40 gallons, the're larger ones with the 2 lines. I can only speak for the 40 gallon. I don't hear it over the water splashing so I recommend the Tetra whisper.
 
I have one made by Sera that is very quiet - it's humming is drowned out by the bubble wall in the tank....

It only has a single output although you can always add an inline splitter. It is also fitted with a US plug but the shop provided a free adapter with it.
 
I've compared Rena, Sera, Eheim, Tetra, Newair, Interpet, Resun...and I can't remember if there was another brand...at the LFS and that's the order I'd rate them in fro quietness (Rena being the most quiet). I don't remember much difference between the Tetra, Newair and Interpet ones so they might be muddled up slightly.

I've got an old Rena and find it very quiet compared to my current Hailea air pump (which is stronger and much cheaper though).

Though remember airpumps will always make some noise from the bubbles, and most noisy ones can be quietened by sitting the on a bit of filter foam mat and keeping them in a cabinet.

If I needed a quiet pump I would go for a Sera, considering that they are quite a bit cheaper than Rena (at least at the LFS). But I don't know how they compare in reliability, as Renas are great.
 
you could try building a noise supressing box to store your air pump in;

DSC_3731.jpg


mine has been working for over a year now totally enclosed in the box with no problems atall, TBH I cant really hear the pump unless I have the tank stand door open getting something out.
 
That's a really good idea, and would be cheaper than paying extra for an airpump thats quiet.

I've been using a Hailea for the past year or two, and it's been great (very good value for money considering how robust it is and the amount of air it pumps).

It's noisy though, I keep it in my cabinet which helps, and I'm totally used to the noise of it now, it feels weird when it's off :rolleyes:.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top