Air Pump woes - equipment advice needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

g12saurus

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am either losing it or missing something. I have 3 tanks, 2 10-gal and a 28-gal, that have all been running on air filters/air pumps. Two 10-gallons are on a Tetra Whisper 10, since they just have a betta in each and I am not looking for strong movement, with small Aquarium Co-Op coarse sponge filters and have been great since installation (5-6 months I believe).

My woes are with my 28'er. I originally started it on a ALON USB Fish Oxygen Air Pump (supposed to be up to 13 gallons) with medium Aquarium Co-Op coarse sponge filter, as I was waiting for my actual air pump to arrive. That little sucker proved to be rather good, surprisingly. So when my Aquatop Air Pump AP-100 arrived, I tested it and it was absolutely a no go - just not enough oomph for any air bubbles really. Next I tried the Tetra Whisper 30-60 gallon one and same result as the Aquatop, just nada! I moved the locations on the pumps, I've switched air hose, air valves - you name it and I tried a variation of it to see if it was user error.

My next attempt, which I just ordered, will be with a Tetra 10-30 gallon that only has one output (maybe it's about the splitter since both Aquatop and Tetra Whisper have dual outlets?). So the little USB one is back at it until my next trial one arrives.

So what am I actually missing? I feel ridiculous and ridiculous because I can't figure it out, Help plz! My price cap is around $30 for another pump fyi.

TIA

The reasons an airpump won't pump air into the tank is:
- water is too deep for the pump.
- kink or blockage in the airline.
- one way valve (aka check valve) is fitted the wrong way.
- air pump has a split in the diaphragm or hole in the flutter valves in the air chamber.

If you have adjustable taps between the pump and filter, remove them and see if it works. If it does, then the problem is the tap.

If the pump is unable to push air down 12 inches into the water when just using airline with nothing on the end, then the diaphragm or air chamber inside the pump have issues. If it's a new pump, take it back to the shop and have them test it on one of their tanks.

There is something wrong with the Tetra air pumps if they won't work for you, providing everything else is correct. I have a Tetra 60 and a Tetra 20 both will easily push air down 24" of water depth. The 60 is driving 4 different devices and with the 20 I bleed some air off to reduce the pressure and air flow.

The reasons an airpump won't pump air into the tank is:
- water is too deep for the pump.
- kink or blockage in the airline.
- one way valve (aka check valve) is fitted the wrong way.
- air pump has a split in the diaphragm or hole in the flutter valves in the air chamber.

If you have adjustable taps between the pump and filter, remove them and see if it works. If it does, then the problem is the tap.

If the pump is unable to push air down 12 inches into the water when just using airline with nothing on the end, then the diaphragm or air chamber inside the pump have issues. If it's a new pump, take it back to the shop and have them test it on one of their tanks.
Wierdly enough it was not any of the possible issues above, as I've tested and checked all of them to make sure it wasn't user error. But you are right, I ended up returning the pump (well one of them since the other one has been with me for a bit) and I'm trying my luck with another one that has a single tap. I have this weird feeling that will be the issue for some reason. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back