“I don’t like air pumps” is often a statement of a lot of aquarists…

Magnum Man34 149

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,642
Reaction score
6,896
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
while I use either 1 or 2 hang on back filters on most aquariums, there is still a place for air in my set ups…
air pumps, is a very vague term, and the noise, and out put difference is huge between a basic kit’s buzz box, and a higher quality unit…
my pump is on a shelf behind my tanks, in my bedroom… I honestly can not hear my pump at all… I have several tanks at a high level of air input, and get a “babbling brook” type sound people pay good money for, with relaxation music, and while I don’t watch TV in my main aquarium area ( seems kinda counter productive ) the volume is low enough you could easily watch TV…
I have 9 tanks, most being larger, all using air from this pump, and, and I am at close to capacity of the pump, but with a few sponge filters in some smaller tanks, I have 6-10 inch air bars in larger tanks, some 24 inches deep…
I bought my 1st linear piston pump ( an economy grade pump, and it was literally as loud as a garage air compressor… it did pump the volume I needed, but also only lasted 1 year ( I keep a few diaphragm pumps here as back ups )
I’ve not needed them for the last several years, as my better pump, has bee. running completely silently for more than 2 years now…
is the brand I’ve been using lately… I’m sure there are other good ones out there, but with the quality, and quietness of this pump, it would be hard to not buy another , when it’s needed…

I thought it would be cool to put up a list of good pumps, as there are so many poor ones out there to snag us…

thoughts???
 
I used the big air pump for my inside and outside koi ponds. When I use the smaller ones for all my 8 tanks, I put each on a piece of very soft rubber or better yet, a rectangular piece of soft foam. I also don’t mind the bubbling sound, but i also don’t sleep in there except for naps.:nod:My wife now…..no aquarium noises if I’m to survive. :dunno:
 
Last edited:
I run my fishroom off two of the linear piston pumps @Magnum Man linked to. One (an LP 45) has been in continuous use since 2007, one (LP 80) for 6 years. I have 2 because originally, I had fewer tanks on air, and as I expanded that, it was easy to add more oomph.
They are expensive, but so quiet and so effective...
I have a few other no name pistons, little metal boxed ones that were in the $100 range if I'd bought them (they were bartered for - fish for air pumps). They make more noise than blowhard politicians. I imagine life on the deck of a world war 2 aircraft carrier when I plug them in. They're awful things. The far better made Jehmco/Medo ones are many levels above them. I keep them in case of breakdowns. In a pinch, I could run them in the garage fishroom, but that would be bad for my music listening out there.

When I eventually win the lottery, I'll get one larger Jehmco unit to power my system with more depth. I am underpowered as is, but my tanks are generally shallow anyway.

Diaphragm pumps don't last.
 
Better quality Diaphragm pumps last a lot longer than the cheaper ones and they run a lot quieter. I had 3 of the Jehmco DAPM pumps at my peak. I am now down to just one and not the largest of the three either. I sold two and kept one. I replaced the diaphragms in the two I kept and when I sold tone of them I had put a new diaphragm into it.

I set the pumps on top of some really neat semi-rigid foam I have and thyey get very quiet, The vibration noise is damped if you had the right foam under the pump. For the smaller cheaper pumps I use a piece of Poret 10 or 10 ppi foam under them or else I hang them to they have no contact with a hard surface which will also make them way quieter than one would thing.

When I would sell from the vendor room of a weekend event I used one of the smaller DAPMs to power the 6-8 cycled cubefilters I would bring for the tanks I used at the event. I also brought a pad for it so it was quiet.

At home since my tanks are so spread out I have no fish room. I powered the summer tanks and those inside with a the other two pumps. But I still ran a lot of tanls without any air power/ Canisters and Aquaclears are very quiet but more expensive and more work.
 
When I had my fishroom setup I had the DAPMH60 and it was quiet. I was fortunate to have a little sump closet that I modified to fit the air pump in. I also used thicker PVC to cut down on the vibrations. I really miss that basement and the setup. I don't miss the municipal well water that caused a whole lot of issues with my fish though.
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top