Read this nitrate please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Not arguing the merits of what you're saying here, but the OP was simply asking what color/reading everyone saw in their nitrate TT, and that's all. Seems you asked about tank and fish so that you could have an opening to give an unsolicited opinion that had nothing to do with this thread.
Again, not saying I don't agree with tank size vs. fish needs, but OP didn't ask for that.
It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. 20 gallons is far too small for fancy goldfish, and goldfish are a social species that lives in small loose groups, so should not be kept alone. The information is all out there if you’d care to look. :)

Well, I always thought and still think that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.... or, it's better to be safe than sorry.... In other words, the earlier we know our mistakes the earlier we can fix them and save a living-being....
It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. 20 gallons is far too small for fancy goldfish, and goldfish are a social species that lives in small loose groups, so should not be kept alone. The information is all out there if you’d care to look. :)
Opinion or fact isn't the point. They didn't ask for thoughts or facts on their tank. Avel posed a question so that he could give his thoughts when that wasn't what OP was asking. If a member asks your thoughts on a fish in a certain size tank, fire away.
You wouldn't walk down the street asking people questions just so you could 'educate' them on how they're doing things wrong. Probably wouldn't always end so well. The same etiquette should apply here.

And I don't care to look because I'm not keeping goldfish. Don't keep them so I don't comment on there needs. Hence the reason I said I'm not disagreeing with Avel's comments. Just that this wasn't the thread for them.

I have spent a lot and am doing a lot to try to keep Shion healthy and happy. His tank will get an upgrade if I deem it necessary. There is no real science that I could find that says they come to harm by being alone.

There is no proof that stunted/undersized goldfish due to space have reduced lifespans or are less healthy. NO tank raised goldfish will not grow as large as one in a 20,000 gallon koi pond. Does that mean the owner didn't provide enough space? If so then no people should ever have indoor aquariums with goldfish. The oldest goldfish ever to live were stunted badly due to tank size. I feed him normally and change his water 90% weekly and watch his parameters closely as you can see with this thread.

If he begins to seem stressed or if I think he needs more space, I will definitely upgrade him. But frankly, I could have a 75 gallon tank for him and SOMEONE would still find it too small or find something to complain about.

With that said, I am going to unwatch this thread now. Thank you for the input everyone.

I have spent a lot and am doing a lot to try to keep Shion healthy and happy. His tank will get an upgrade if I deem it necessary. There is no real science that I could find that says they come to harm by being alone.

There is no proof that stunted/undersized goldfish due to space have reduced lifespans or are less healthy. NO tank raised goldfish will not grow as large as one in a 20,000 gallon koi pond. Does that mean the owner didn't provide enough space? If so then no people should ever have indoor aquariums with goldfish. The oldest goldfish ever to live were stunted badly due to tank size. I feed him normally and change his water 90% weekly and watch his parameters closely as you can see with this thread.

If he begins to seem stressed or if I think he needs more space, I will definitely upgrade him. But frankly, I could have a 75 gallon tank for him and SOMEONE would still find it too small or find something to complain about.

With that said, I am going to unwatch this thread now. Thank you for the input everyone.
I can lock/close the thread, if you wish.

This is a fish forum. There are posts every day by people asking questions and needing advice. A lot of them are beginners who are doing things wrong, or in a way that could lead to problems down the line. It’s a huge learning curve and because of all the conflicting advice out there, some people do it wrong or badly without realising.
It’s our job to offer advice as we see fit. The fish come first, the owner/poster comes second.
They can ignore our advice if they wish but as responsible caring aquarists we will always offer it, even when it isn’t asked for.
In this case, upgrading the tank if it is “deemed necessary” will not work, because in such a small tank a goldfish (9 out of 10 times) will not grow big enough to need a new tank. It will stay smaller. In fact it won’t grow much bigger than it is now.
Again, the fish come first. As animal keepers we all have a responsibility to look after our fish as well as we can. Not offering advice where we see fit would be a breach of that, so we will continue to do so. Every time. :)

This is a fish forum. There are posts every day by people asking questions and needing advice. A lot of them are beginners who are doing things wrong, or in a way that could lead to problems down the line. It’s a huge learning curve and because of all the conflicting advice out there, some people do it wrong or badly without realising.
It’s our job to offer advice as we see fit. The fish come first, the owner/poster comes second.
They can ignore our advice if they wish but as responsible caring aquarists we will always offer it, even when it isn’t asked for.
In this case, upgrading the tank if it is “deemed necessary” will not work, because in such a small tank a goldfish (9 out of 10 times) will not grow big enough to need a new tank. It will stay smaller. In fact it won’t grow much bigger than it is now.
Again, the fish come first. As animal keepers we all have a responsibility to look after our fish as well as we can. Not offering advice where we see fit would be a breach of that, so we will continue to do so. Every time. :)

🤣 Got it!

Opinion or fact isn't the point. They didn't ask for thoughts or facts on their tank. Avel posed a question so that he could give his thoughts when that wasn't what OP was asking. If a member asks your thoughts on a fish in a certain size tank, fire away.
You wouldn't walk down the street asking people questions just so you could 'educate' them on how they're doing things wrong. Probably wouldn't always end so well. The same etiquette should apply here.

And I don't care to look because I'm not keeping goldfish. Don't keep them so I don't comment on there needs. Hence the reason I said I'm not disagreeing with Avel's comments. Just that this wasn't the thread for them.
From what I've gathered during my time in here, we ALL share a collective responsibility in this Forum towards the well-being of fish.
If someone asked me a question in the street, I'd answer it to the best of my ability and, if I needed to ask questions to allow me to do that, then I'd ask.

From what I've gathered during my time in here, we ALL share a collective responsibility in this Forum towards the well-being of fish.
I agree with you. This forum would be pointless and no one would come for advice if others didn't share in the interest and care of the fish. Don't be mistaken, I greatly admire the knowledge and advice of those here with far more experience. My point was only that it had nothing to do with this particular thread. Had OP stated that their fish was stressed, exhibiting a, b, or c symptoms, then the question would have been pertinent to the topic.
If someone asked me a question in the street, I'd answer it to the best of my ability and, if I needed to ask questions to allow me to do that, then I'd ask.
If someone in the street asked you what color you thought their shirt was, would you ask the age of their children and what size room they have to help you with your answer?

If someone in the street asked you what color you thought their shirt was, would you ask the age of their children and what size room they have to help you with your answer?
No...but I would ask what they hoped to gain from my answer. They might be unsure about the colour of their shirt and be feeling anxious about it. They might have other anxieties and, if they had children, I could probably guarantee that their well-being would enter the conversation.

Edited for grammar.

No...but I would ask what they hoped to gain from my answer. They might be unsure about the colour of their shirt and be feeling anxious about it. They might have other anxieties and, if they had children, I could probably guarantee that their well-being would enter the conversation.

Edited for grammar.
Wow. Just. Wow.

Next time the wife asks me how she looks, I'll be sure to question her anxieties and insecurities. Wish me luck!

Lol!! With the way this thread has gone off topic, closing it actually may be the best idea now. People's wives and children have somehow entered the chat when I merely asked others opinions on reading a nitrate test.

This is why I personally do not like the API nitrate test. To me it looks zero, that could just be my eyesight of course. I wouldn't trust a zero reading of nitrate unless there are are plants that are removing most of the ammonia in the first place, and as I understand, goldfish tend to destroy plants. I suppose it's theoretically possible the mature filter media is converting the nitrate into nitrogen gas, but I believe that needs low oxygen conditions which are unlikely in most filters and dangerous in shallow substrate anyway. As far as I know the "full" nitrogen cycle is mainly a youtube myth.

Did you shake the bottles really really hard? If so did you try a second test that involved shaking the bottles even harder and banging them on the table? I know that sounds crazy but when I was fishless cycling I got to the point 4ppm ammonia was zero in 24hrs as was nitrite. Yet nitrate was only 10 or so, as was the tap water, despite many many ammonia doses being added with no water changes. So one day retested the same water with harder API bottle shaking and nitrate suddenly was 80ppm. I then did 2 consecutive 90% water changes and added more ammonia. Next morning I tested the water to confirm I was cycled, did another 90% water change, got in the car and went to buy fish.
Suppose the 2nd bottle to test nitrate needs extra shake bc if crystallization.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back