Read this nitrate please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Off to buy more fish!
5058A916-6374-4832-89E8-C5E52C017D95.gif

As you're the OP....................... yes :lol:
The tank is a 20 LONG with one 4-6 month old Oranda.

Here is his tank and here he is. I have always had brown algae in all my tanks regardless, but this is a brand new tank so the silicate might be a factor in why this tank is especially bad.

The tank is a 20 LONG with one 4-6 month old Oranda.
Here is his tank and here he is. I have always had brown algae in all my tanks regardless, but this is a brand new tank so the silicate might be a factor in why this tank is especially bad.
Sorry to say this but your tank is WAY too small ! Do you realize he'll grow up to 10 in ? He crosses the tank in no time ! These fishes need 25 gal per fish ; they are gregarious fishes that want to live in group of 3 specimen minimum. Forcing him/her to live alone in this so small tank will lead to stress and diseases.
Never trust LPS/LFS whose purpose is to sell without the least respect of fish needs.

Hi :)
How large is your tank ?
How old is your Goldie ?
Sorry to say this but your tank is WAY too small ! Do you realize he'll grow up to 10 in ? He crosses the tank in no time ! These fishes need 25 gal per fish ; they are gregarious fishes that want to live in group of 3 specimen minimum. Forcing him/her to live alone in this so small tank will lead to stress and diseases.
Never trust LPS/LFS whose purpose is to sell without the least respect of fish needs.
Not arguing the merits of what you're saying here, but the OP was simply asking what color/reading everyone saw in their nitrate TT, and that's all. Seems you asked about tank and fish so that you could have an opening to give an unsolicited opinion that had nothing to do with this thread.
Again, not saying I don't agree with tank size vs. fish needs, but OP didn't ask for that.

Avel always does that. He literally bashes everyone's setup. At least he bothered to read the thread this time whilst being unhelpful. 🙄

As for Shion, his tank is not too small for him. If/when he needs a larger tank, he will get a larger tank. Indoor tank raised fancy goldfish do not generally get anywhere near 10 inches. He is an active and happy fish for now.

One benefit of the salifert test is that you don't need to shake the bottle really vigorously. I give it a quick shake , put 4 drops in the 1ml of tank water, add one level spoonful of powder, swirl (don't shake) for 30 seconds and then wait 3 minutes for the results to compare against the color chart. You should read the result using a bright white light. You can test and read from .2 to 100 ppm nitrate.

Last edited:
Not arguing the merits of what you're saying here, but the OP was simply asking what color/reading everyone saw in their nitrate TT, and that's all. Seems you asked about tank and fish so that you could have an opening to give an unsolicited opinion that had nothing to do with this thread.
Again, not saying I don't agree with tank size vs. fish needs, but OP didn't ask for that.
Well, I always thought and still think that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.... or, it's better to be safe than sorry.... In other words, the earlier we know our mistakes the earlier we can fix them and save a living-being....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back