Re-Stocking My 15 U.s Gallon Planted Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DwarfCichlidKeeper1998

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Right, I'm re-stocking my 15 gallon aquarium(60x30x40cm), I am giving my current fish away too my friend who has a large planted corner aquarium. This time around it will be heavily plants and will have Co2 running. I want people to advise me what fish to get(both soft and hard water) I want a pair of something, a shoal, and bottom dwellers(eg plecs apart from BN and corydoras). my scape will contain bogwood, rocks/large stones etc. so there will be lots of cover for shy fish if needed to be. I be making a aquarium journal when I decided to redo it :)

Thanks in advance! :D

A pair of Honey Gouramis!

A shoal of Chilli Rasboras!

Scarlet Badis!

I may be wrong with the stocking size..

Well, at least it's a start! Gd luck! :)

i would keep the fish breeds small as they would make the tank look larger (and you can get more :p)

first if you are running co2 then look into dirt substrate (absolute dream and the plants will love it) then with the light blah - plants will determine what you can get.. but what i would get/do is:

dirt substrate with black gravel cap
(50-50 as they'd like to grow on the plants, so this is a maybe) moss wall on back and sides of aquarium (front has none as you would want to see in the aquarium :p)
crockscrew and normal valls all along the back of the tank.
have rock/wood centerpiece at 45 degree angel near one side of the tank or slightly off from the middle.
the assorted swords around back/side of centerpiece.
then have ruffle sword somewhere at back.
water wisteria at back or side area.
you can either have the centerpiece bare or have Anubis on it.
crypts to side of centerpiece.
then at back you can (depending on light) put red lotus.
then front i would have dwarf hair grass and let it spread.

then allow everything to grow and root (co2 won't take long) then do a fishless cycle and have
red fire shrimp (or cherry) you can have 10 per gallon, but they breed past so watch out
some type of yellow/orange/blue shrimp
a school of 10 galaxy rasbora
(when the tank is fully mature) have 6 otos (great for algae)
then for center piece fish i would have a elephant ear, dragon scale beta. i know eh a beta, but i think that with everything the tank would look really sharp.

that's what i would do :p
but it is your tank, so post pics when you are done :D

AquaPit said:

Scarlet Badis!

Well, at least it's a start! Gd luck!
smile.png
I do like the fish you listed, but the chilli rasboras and scarlet badis are hard to come by in my area! I was thinking of adding a pair of honey gouramis! Thanks AquaPit :)

BerryAttack said:
i would keep the fish breeds small as they would make the tank look larger (and you can get more
tongue2.gif
)

first if you are running co2 then look into dirt substrate (absolute dream and the plants will love it) then with the light blah - plants will determine what you can get.. but what i would get/do is:

(50-50 as they'd like to grow on the plants, so this is a maybe) moss wall on back and sides of aquarium (front has none as you would want to see in the aquarium
tongue2.gif
)
have rock/wood centerpiece at 45 degree angel near one side of the tank or slightly off from the middle.

then allow everything to grow and root (co2 won't take long) then do a fishless cycle and have
red fire shrimp (or cherry) you can have 10 per gallon, but they breed past so watch out
then for center piece fish i would have a elephant ear, dragon scale beta. i know eh a beta, but i think that with everything the tank would look really sharp.

that's what i would do
tongue2.gif

but it is your tank, so post pics when you are done
biggrin.png
I do want small spieces of fish because of that reason! and you can get a few more! :)

because I live in the UK, I believe there is no suitable dirt substrate(same one you can use for plants in pots) I have got Tropica Plant Substrate which is like dirt but very fine and comes under the gravel/sand.

You have got a great idea how to layout my tank! I will follow it a little maybe, All the plants you listed are available locally so its a good idea!

I will defo add some cherry shrimp, my lfs has some really deep solid red ones! If I could get hold of galaxy rasbora, I would use them as the main fish in my tank, probably the only fish. I love the look at them! but they are expensive £6($8) each! expensive little buggers! Thanks for the idea!

DwarfCichlidKeeper1998 said:

Scarlet Badis!

smile.png
I do like the fish you listed, but the chilli rasboras and scarlet badis are hard to come by in my area! I was thinking of adding a pair of honey gouramis! Thanks AquaPit
smile.png

BerryAttack said:
i would keep the fish breeds small as they would make the tank look larger (and you can get more
tongue2.gif
)

(50-50 as they'd like to grow on the plants, so this is a maybe) moss wall on back and sides of aquarium (front has none as you would want to see in the aquarium
tongue2.gif
)

that's what i would do
tongue2.gif

biggrin.png
I do want small spieces of fish because of that reason! and you can get a few more!
smile.png

because I live in the UK, I believe there is no suitable dirt substrate(same one you can use for plants in pots) I have got Tropica Plant Substrate which is like dirt but very fine and comes under the gravel/sand.

You have got a great idea how to layout my tank! I will follow it a little maybe, All the plants you listed are available locally so its a good idea!

I will defo add some cherry shrimp, my lfs has some really deep solid red ones! If I could get hold of galaxy rasbora, I would use them as the main fish in my tank, probably the only fish. I love the look at them! but they are expensive £6($8) each! expensive little boogers! Thanks for the idea!

you can order fish online, cheaper then what the lfs will sell. just need to look around.
can't wait to see it up :)

BerryAttack said:

Scarlet Badis!

smile.png
I do like the fish you listed, but the chilli rasboras and scarlet badis are hard to come by in my area! I was thinking of adding a pair of honey gouramis! Thanks AquaPit
smile.png

BerryAttack said:
tongue2.gif
)

tongue2.gif
)

that's what i would do
tongue2.gif

biggrin.png
I do want small spieces of fish because of that reason! and you can get a few more!
smile.png

I will defo add some cherry shrimp, my lfs has some really deep solid red ones! If I could get hold of galaxy rasbora, I would use them as the main fish in my tank, probably the only fish. I love the look at them! but they are expensive £6($8) each! expensive little boogers! Thanks for the idea!

you can order fish online, cheaper then what the lfs will sell. just need to look around.
can't wait to see it up
smile.png

Neither can I! I going to keep my current fish(keyhole cichlid, a peppered cory and a harlequin rasbora) in it after its redone until my friend can take them. Bought a piece of mopani wood today, for £2!  found scarlet badis and Galaxy rasboras online(ebay shop) for £2.99 each! so I Might take a look into them! They got most fish for sale, was quite suprized. As soon as its scaped i will let you know(will be in the a month defo!) found a cheap site for good quaility plants aswell! :D

A mth! I'm not that patient! Hahaha!

All the best! Update us! :)

AquaPit said:
A mth! I'm not that patient! Hahaha!

All the best! Update us!
smile.png
I shall keep you updated as best as i can, the mopani wood is going to be pointed the right of the aquarium, will attach some sort of moss to it along with anubais.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back