Rattling Filter

gizmo001i

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I have fitted a Fluval 403 external filter to my tank. However when it runs, the damn thing rattles like crazy. I have put this down to an airlock in the pump. I have tried laying the filter on it's side as suggested in the user manual, but this hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get rid of this. I have checked the impellor of the pump and it is clear of debris.
Many thanks
Ian

Hi,
I have fitted a Fluval 403 external filter to my tank. However when it runs, the damn thing rattles like crazy. I have put this down to an airlock in the pump. I have tried laying the filter on it's side as suggested in the user manual, but this hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get rid of this. I have checked the impellor of the pump and it is clear of debris.
Many thanks
Ian

have you checked the inlet and outlet pipes?

Yes I have, they are clear and both full. The noise is definetely coming from the pump housing (ie the top of the filter).

Yes I have, they are clear and both full. The noise is definetely coming from the pump housing (ie the top of the filter).

when i bought my aquaone external canister, my lfs (WorldOfWater) suggested that when the canister gets noisy when i first start it, i should blow air into the inlet to remove the airlock.
try it if it's convenient.

Thanks iJay, that idea seems to be working, I have tried it once so far and the rattling has diminished alot. I am going to let the filter run for about am hour and then try it again which hopefully will remove all sound. Once again many thanks for the advice.

Thanks iJay, that idea seems to be working, I have tried it once so far and the rattling has diminished alot. I am going to let the filter run for about am hour and then try it again which hopefully will remove all sound. Once again many thanks for the advice.

you are welcome.
:thumbs:

I had a similar filter which made a rattling noise now and again.

With mine it was inevitably due to air getting in - I found the best way to clear it was to either hold the top of the filter and give it a fairly vigorous shake (side to side - so the top moved a fair bit but the base more or less stayed put) or give it a bit of a nock sideways. This was usually followed by a few bubbles coming out of the spray bar - a filter burp if you like!

Problem seemed to be most eveident when new media/sponges had been put in.

I think that was my problem. You see I have only just fitted this filter 3 weeks ago and it was filled with all brand new filter medium. It was due to this that I probably found it so hard to clear. Just running it in before I remove my internal filter.

Check the impellor assembly inside the filter.

If one or more blades are missing etc, that will cause it to vibrate/rattle.

Only a few £££ on Ebay !! ;)

Andy

i had the same problem with one of my canister filters. it was making alot of noise from the inside of the unit. after alot of anger and time spent trying to figure it out, it was only one of the rubber bushings which hold the impellor in spot. it must of been a bad batch and been off by a mm or so causing the blades to hit

At the moment, after blowing through the pipe, the pump is now completely silent, so it looks like the impellor and bearings are fine. Thanks very much for all the replies and advice.

At the moment, after blowing through the pipe, the pump is now completely silent, so it looks like the impellor and bearings are fine. Thanks very much for all the replies and advice.

good to hear that you got it working silently.
now, i would believe my lfs.
;)

I have a Cascade 1200 external filter on my tank and it's seriously noisy!

I've got 3 towels wrapped round it just so i can (sort of) sleep at night. :crazy:

Any suggestions and will these ideas above work for me? I think maybe i need a new impellor but i'm not sure. :blink:

Any help from anyone with a similar filter with the same problem would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Pete

I have a Cascade 1200 external filter on my tank and it's seriously noisy!

I've got 3 towels wrapped round it just so i can (sort of) sleep at night. :crazy:

Any suggestions and will these ideas above work for me? I think maybe i need a new impellor but i'm not sure. :blink:

Any help from anyone with a similar filter with the same problem would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Pete

how long have you had your filter?

how long have you had your filter?
[/quote]

About 3 months maybe more. It's always made noise and that's why the guy was getting rid of it. Starting to get on my nerves now though! :X

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back