Random Discussion

I don't take whacky tobaccy (MJ) but a small amount before bed can help people sleep better and longer. You could start off with half a pill (using the lowest dose available).

Alternatively there are a number of herbs that help you relax and sleep a bit better. Herbs generally have no side effects, whereas the MJ does.

Meditating can help.

If you like alcohol (you shouldn't be drinking this unless you are old enough), then half a glass of port at night can help you sleep better. But you would need to check with your doctor if you are taking any medications because alcohol and medications don't normally mix.

-----------
Some other things that can help you sleep better include:
Eating a cup of sour cherries 30 minutes before bed.
Turning all computers, mobile phones, etc off at least 2 hours before bed.
Don't have a big meal before bed, especially if it's meat based.
Try to have the room temperature around 19C when you go to bed.
Avoid doing things that stimulate your mind for a couple of hours before bed.

Colin is very right about sleep, light and exercise. Also eating healthy helps too.

There is a link between cannabis and psychosis so of you if suffer from depression I'd be wary about cannabis unless under very strict observation by psychiatrist. Sleeping tablets have their own side effects too. You could discuss sleeping issues with the psychiatrist & sometimes they'll recommend taking antidepressants at a certain dose or time of day to aide sleep. Again all this must be discussed with psych & monitored closely by them. Alcohol is a depressant so best to avoid.

Reduce screen time before bed. Don't drink caffeine after midday. Actually a week camping can help reset your sleep cycle as you are sleeping under natural light. Sometimes listening to low classical musical as you sleep can help or playing rain sounds.

Reduce screen time before bed. Don't drink caffeine after midday. Actually a week camping can help reset your sleep cycle as you are sleeping under natural light. Sometimes listening to low classical musical as you sleep can help or playing rain sounds.
I must admit, the best sleep pattern I have ever had was when I was living on the street. 30 minutes after the sun set and I was out like a light. Unfortunately it got cold where I was and I used to wake up at 2 or 3am and shiver until it warmed up at about 8am. Then it was 7C and I was walking around in jeans and a t-shirt.

The problem with resetting your body clock is when you come back to civilisation, you go straight back onto the computer and screw your sleep back up :)

Last edited:
@essjay and @Ch4rlie, what is a moderating moderator ? :D

I would guess that it's a super moderator!

Hah, that’s just me playing with words!

I was originally going to put a modern moderate moderating moderator, thought that was too much and thinking less is more!

Just daft is all, does not mean anything. :lol:

But I’ll take super moderator though ;)

Once upon a time, we could change our status to a personalised one after reaching a certain number of posts. When I first joined it was 1500 posts but the time I reached that the number had been increased.
After a software update a few years ago, that option was removed. Now your status just depends on the number of posts you've made - though mods and admins have a status that's not post number related, like mine just says "Moderator". However, you'll still see personalised status with some members who changed their status before the option was removed.

I must admit, the best sleep pattern I have ever had was when I was living on the street. 30 minutes after the sun set and I was out like a light. Unfortunately it gold cold where I was and I used to wake up at 2 or 3am and shiver until it warmed up at about 8am. Then it was 7C and I was walking around in jeans and a t-shirt.

The problem with resetting your body clock is when you come back to civilisation, you go straight back onto the computer and screw your sleep back up :)

Our circadian rhythm does better with the natural light. But I'm glad you're not sleeping rough anymore. I hope the new building owners extend your lease too.

A big concern of mine lately is the change of streetlights from those yellow sodium thing, which while not ideal are far better than the white LED things they're currently getting replaced with.

Oh I hate street lights when trying to sleep. Blackout just means harder to wake up in the morning too.

Fortunately I know how to disable a street light so the one at my front door is off.........until DoI put a new fuse in at least, but as no one is reporting it (I live in a cul-de-sac) it'll be whenever they come and inspect it themselves.

Love the owl @Ch4rlie !:D

Heh, it’s a Northern Saw Whet Owl, one of the smallest species of owl.

I chose that just simply because it’s cute and also it shows I’m not the wisest, just a little bit wise hence the diminutive sized owl :lol:

Edited - spelling of Diminutive, my spelling is getting worse :X

Last edited:

I chose that just simply because it’s cute and also it shows I’m not the wisest, just a little bit wise hence the dilutive sized owl :lol:
All things in moderation.

I chose that just simply because it’s cute and also it shows I’m not the wisest, just a little bit wise hence the diminutive sized owl :lol:

Edited - spelling of Diminutive, my spelling is getting worse :X

Owls are gorgeous animals and I must say that it's not often that you see them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back