Rabbut's Marine Jurnal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sounds like it could have been much worse. Good luck over the next few days.

Shame about the photos.

Don't stress too much, not alot you can do, they seem to have a mind of their own.

My phone is able to take photos, but it's a like .25MP camera and I cannot get it to transfer to the PC...

The nem has had it's mantle tugged at by the pump, damaging it. The pump did not clog, so the nem did get hurt. It does not look too bad, so fingers crossed. I've freed it from the pump, and placed it into a nice cave. Come back a hour later and;

Its on the other pump :crazy:

Luckily, I took the liberty of covering all inlets with an old sock, so it hasn't been hurt again... :good: It is not gaping or bleached, and now it's stuck to something, it looks none the worse for wear. Let the worrying and waiting re-commence...

IME now, the Tunze pumps don't protect nems from being minced :sad:

All the best
Rabbut

So Tunze are not the way to go then, just thought that if they shut off within twenty seconds then the nem would stand a chance :crazy:
You have put socks over the pumps, does that change the amount of flow?

Seffie x

:fish:

No doubt the Tunze pumps are good at what they do, but they are not Nem safe as you would expect having had the manufacturer tell you they are so. Having had a good look at Koralias though, I can't see them being any better :sad: I think it boils down to all pumps and inlets being a risk to nems.

I socked the pumps, yes, and it realy killed the flow. Propeller type pumps don't have much torque, so they cannot pull much water against resistance :sad: Also, I covered the inlet sides, not the outlets. At lunchtime yesterday, my mum found the nem crawling into the outlet side of the pump. The water had clouded at this point, and it had apparenly lost colour. When I got home from work, the thing had bleached, the mouth was gaping and the foot was ripped :sad: There was a small chance that it could have pulled through, but a very large change that a dead/dieing nem of that size would have crashed my 70 litre tank. That was a risk is wasn't going to take, especially as it was already starting to turn to mush :sad:

Long story short, the nem did not work :sad: It is rather frustrating since I set-up intending to get a nem, and planned my gear arround one.

All the best
A slighly dissheartened Rabbut

oh no, it is almost like some of them have a death wish, you know like dolphins when they wash up on the beach :crazy:

I wonder if there is a solution, as like you I got started because I wanted a nem and clowns :unsure: surely the solution isn't running a tank without power heads :crazy: that can't be an option, can it?

Just been to have a look at how Karen does it

[URL="http://www.karensroseanemones.com/coverpowerheads.htm"]http://www.karensroseanemones.com/coverpowerheads.htm[/URL]

Will go and have a look at the pumps she is suggesting - chin up Rabbut, we will find a solution :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Ah, that always stinks, sorry to hear that rabbut. As you've hinted at, all powerheads really can be like this. Bout the only way to nem-proof an aquarium is to use a closed loop with a really oversized inlet strainer. You can cover powerhead inlets but even that isn't foolproof. Good luck.

Any surgestions for something like egg-crate that is flexible and with finer holes to cover the pumps with a "box" for a re-try? I'm shure I can find a way to cover them without loosing flow, but it is a bit annoying if these pumps are supposed to be nem safe :sad:

OK, went out shopping today :hyper:

I now have

Purple Montipora
Elagance Coral
Trumpet Polyps (some LPS species of some sort. Dam, fallen into the trap of getting stuff before researching it :/ )
Pink Scooter Blenny

acclimating... Will post pics as if and when I get a working camera. I should point out that I resisted the temptation to get another BTA and some egg crate while there though, tempting though one was. Considering the result last time I got one, I figured it would be safer not to go there again untill I get a closed looped system.

My little brother has seeded the idea of converting the 4ft Discus tank though... (unlikely to happen, I'm too attached to the Discus)

All the best
Rabbut

^^Ermmm see above for "technical issues" with that request ski :lol: I will try get a working camera at some point soon though...

Sorry about your nem, Its exactly the same as happened to mine, the impeller just shred it :sick: I found bits of tenticles all over the tank, it was horrible, but like you say, at least it didn't crash the whole tank. My water was very cloudy for a while after I got it out.

OK, an ongoing diatom bloom has finally convinced me to change the halide lamp. The same make and model lamp, by boy is the new one far "whiter" sharper and crisper in colour :eek: It is a it surprising considering. I do prefer this to the old "warm" look though :nod: I'm now hoping the corals don't bleach over the change...

Oh, and I have a working camera now also, so stand by tomorrow for some photo's :good:

All the best
Rabbut

OK, photos time :good:

I apologise in advance for the shoddiness of some of these...

The Trumpet Polyps

DSCN1945.jpg

The Open Brain

DSCN1957.jpg

The other Brain

DSCN1954.jpg

Torch Coral (polyps not as extended as usual for some reason...)

DSCN1944.jpg

Green Star Polyps, melting a little

DSCN1949.jpg

The Bubble coral. It looks far better in real life :nod:

DSCN1951.jpg

Organ Pipe

DSCN1947.jpg

Elegance

DSCN1960.jpg

The Female Clownfish to be. The male is currently AWOL, having been hammered by his other half over the last few days. He didn't jump out and there have been no detected Ammonia/Nitrite spikes, so I think he's still in there, but I just cannot see him ATM...

DSCN1961.jpg

Purple Montipora

DSCN1955.jpg

The Pink Scooter Blenny and algae Blenny didn't want to come out to play today :sad:

Oh, and because I'll be asked for one if I don't give it, a FTS

DSCN1963.jpg

All the best and thanks for reading
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back