Rabbut's Marine Jurnal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh wow, that Brain is lovely :drool: nice pictures, sorry to hear about your troubles, but has been interesting reading about the way you are solving them

Seffie x

:fish:

Fun, Fun, Fun, it's an attack of brown string algea :crazy: Nitrates tested as Zero like normal, so took a sample into work to make used of the Phosphate test kit there... 1ppm :eek: That would explain the algea, now I just need to know where the phosphate came from... I haven't been feeding as much as normal (no fish in ATM) and the foods been strained before going in, something I never used to do. Before this, I had 0.03ppm Phosphate... :unsure: Anyhow, Hagen Fluval Clearmax phosphate remover and Polyfilter has gone in now to try clear it up :nod:

I've two Tank Bred Tangarine Clowns on reserve at work, about 1.5-2" a piece :good: Next new fish, yay :hyper: Just need to up the food going into the tank to make sure it will take two new fish next weekend :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Hey rabbut, hope it works out with these new clowns. Actually thought about your tank whilte at my LFS yesturday. They have some goregeous chocolate clowns in. Looks identicle to skunk clowns but with a brown belly. If i hadnt got a apir of clowns already id have snapped 'em up.

They sound rather nice and different Ben :good:

OK, so the Clowns are in and have settled well. Realy active, racing up and down the front glass and never staying still for more than a split second. I appologise for the poor snap of them, as they were difficult to get....

HPIM0866.jpg

The Organ Pipe is still doing well. The area that got munched a while back by the starfish is re-growing gradually...

HPIM0862.jpg

The Brain Coral hasn't changed much...

HPIM0863.jpg

The Bubble and Green Star Polyps are in a strop though...

HPIM0860.jpg

HPIM0861.jpg

As you can see, there is some green hair algea in there too now :rolleyes: Bicolour Blennies according to my book, eat this stuff, get to about 3" and aren't too active. They look quite cool, or at least the one work has in does. :good: Will one be OK in my tank do you guys recon, with the clowns and I realy want a Royal Gramma later also...

The Algea growth mainly stagnated after adding the Phosphate remover, but picked up again over Satruday, so I assume the old one got saturated inside of a week. I changed it out for a fresh so hopefully the agea growth will stagnate again :good: While I think about it, one for Truck, a photo of my modifyed skimmer outlet to allow it to take a phosphate removing pouch, using a Coke bottle....

HPIM0868.jpg

Happy reading
Rabbut

OK, been a long time since I updated this... My camera is bust, so I cannot post photo's ATM :sad:

I have added a Torch Coral (sold as a Frogspawn, will see what you guys think to confirm my ID later...), another brain, a Tube Worm and a Bubbletip Anenomy :hyper: I added the Bubbletip at 17:20 today, and at 21:00, the pair of clowns were already hosting in it... :lol: The poor thing still hasn't chosen it's spot yet :rolleyes: I'm currently tracking it's movement and shifting corals out of it's path to avoid anything getting stung as it roams the lower section of the tank (at a snails pace) :good:

There have been some changes to the hardwear also. I've now removed the Maxijet MP1200 powerhead feed pump to the skimmer, and added a Tetratec EX600 exturnal filter instead, taking the water out of the tank, pushing it through Mechanical Ceramic, Caurse Sponge, Carbon, Clearmax (Phosphate Remover), Floss and then Bio-balls before feeding into the skimmer. Despite the EX600 being rated at just over 1/2 that of the MJ1200, with a lower head-height rating, it is puching more water through the skimmer than ye olde powerhead...

All the best
Rabbut

ooo rabbut, get that cam fixed.
Nice clowns, i have a bi-colour blenny, while they are really cool fish. Full of charictor and realy good to watch. Mine is a right fatty...but ive never seen him touch algae. They have also been known to strip acros if not fed enough.

^^I hope it just needs a battery. The old one won't charge, and it does run from mains, all be it for a few seconds, before crashing... It could also be the softwear on the camera I suppose, but I have no idea how I would go about fixing that :unsure:

The Bubbletip is a green-blue one. It was looking happy last night, but I've just had to take a pump appart, due to the silly thing getting stuck on/in it... It may have it's mantle damaged, but it is unclear if this is the case. A Tunze Nanostream should not damage nems according to the manufacturer's claims, but the matle had made it to the flange arround the impeller... I've encurraged the foot out of the back of the pump, and left the front cover down by the rockwork for the thing to free itself from there. I am under no illusion though that if the mantle is damaged, I'll likely loose the thing :sad: The water is cloudy, but that could just be it's mucous in the watercolumn, rather than anenomy parts (or at least thats what I hope it is, the skimmer isn't going mental like it would be expected to if the nem was minced partially)

All the best for now,
A rather worried Rabbut :unsure:

Oh no, that's what happened to Trods, but hopefully yours will have a better outcome :good: fingers and toes crossed for you and the nem. Interesting you say about the Tunze, will go take a look as I am worried about Bill the Nem :crazy:

Seffie x

:fish:

ps just been and had a look at them, they shut off within twenty seconds of the pump being blocked, sounds like this might be just the thing :thumbs:

My phone is able to take photos, but it's a like .25MP camera and I cannot get it to transfer to the PC...

The nem has had it's mantle tugged at by the pump, damaging it. The pump did not clog, so the nem did get hurt. It does not look too bad, so fingers crossed. I've freed it from the pump, and placed it into a nice cave. Come back a hour later and;

Its on the other pump :crazy:

Luckily, I took the liberty of covering all inlets with an old sock, so it hasn't been hurt again... :good: It is not gaping or bleached, and now it's stuck to something, it looks none the worse for wear. Let the worrying and waiting re-commence...

IME now, the Tunze pumps don't protect nems from being minced :sad:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back