Simplicity... Llj's Fluval Spec

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lljdma06

Retired moderator :)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Here are some details about what I want to accomplish with this system.

Stats

-Fluval Spec with back chamber emptied out to serve as a giant refugium, everything else I will try to have remain stock . I will see if I can fit a Rio 90 into the pump chamber of the Spec. If so, I may try to upgrade the pump, if I'm not comfortable with the flow, but since I'm not using the sponge that comes with the Spec, I may get a lot more flow than usual.
-2.5lbs of cured Haitian LR from my 5.5g
-2lbs of livesand (finally got to use that stupid fiji pink I had purchased earlier.)
-10W heater in chamber 1
-10W submersible Halogen lamp in chamber two, refugium light. Grows chaeto very well in my Biocube and will help keep this tiny tank warm.

Planned stocking

- 2 tiny scarlet hermits
- a couple of dwarf ceriths
- limpets
- stomatella
- 1 pompom crab
- sexy shrimp
- Clown goby. I loved my panda goby, Lemmiwinks was special, but he was so small and it he so very difficult to try and find on a daily basis. I had him for a long time too, especially for a panda goby. Got him to eat. I don't know what, but I got him to eat. But no panda goby this time. I'm thinking either a green clown goby or a citron clown goby. I don't much like the yellow ones. The Green's fat, fat head is very appealing.
- dendrophyllia corals
- Balanophyllia corals
- some tubastraea, like a polyp or two, I got a cute butter yellow polyp that always extends.
- mushrooms & ric florida
- maybe some easy zoanthids, gsp, or palys for the tippity top of the tank.
- Most of the corals I can easily frag from my existing tanks, except mushrooms. But I know where I can get them for cheap.

Again, a very simple setup. The nps I've selected can go longer without target feeding and I may rig a daily feeder of cyclops ease (I never spell that right). But the above corals can go 2-3 days without any sort of feeding. I don't feel like killing myself right now. 50% water changes a week should be fine, especially if the refugium does it's job, which I think it will in spades. Lots of refugium space in proportion to tank size. I wanted a tank that could be very portable and one that I could potentially use either in my office in a new apartment or my office at work should I be hired as a full-time professor.

Ok, enough of me talking, here are some pictures... and video of the setup.

Haha, normally LR is not of this quality, but this is from an established tank. The quality of the coralline is stunning. A deep red variety grew in my 5.5g. I shall continue to cultivate it here.

147739ac.jpg

5713aeb0.jpg

e02fd4a1.jpg

A little bright red macro algae, Halymenia floridans. I hope this one stays. It's stunning.

4739c80b.jpg

Some videos. Already we had critters setting up shop. I again, bypassed a cycle by using cured LR from a mature system. In the videos, you'll see vermetids, a stomatella, a sort of filter-feeding clam or mussel, a bristleworm, and yes, an aiptasia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY3danvURGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftlye_5aan0

Picos tend to not last a long time. I'm really going to make an effort to ensure that this one survives long term. My 5.5g would still be running if I had turned the power heads on after target feeding. Haha, only one plug this time. I can keep track of one plug. LOL

Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoy following my progress with this little beauty. I'm happy to set it up. It's my first tank with my boyfriend. He loves looking at it.

L

Sooner or later, you really are going to turn me salty.
Your fellas a lucky boy, in more than one way.
laugh.gif

:lol: I tend to convert people.

I added some components to this tank. First, the refugium is now complete.

4E322F31-1AAD-4E53-9910-89E8848304E5-6249-00000B21E2E27153.jpg

It'll run on an opposite photo period.

Second, here's some critters from my other tanks.

2 scarlet hermits & and assortment of snails. No banded trochus. I want one and have one happily munching away in my quarantine tank, but I don't have the algae to justify it yet. The ceriths and stomatellas eat other things besides algae. I couldn't pry any limpets from my tanks. Bummer.

69048B9C-0DC6-4056-9683-800438495107-6249-00000B21EBF938C8.jpg

I'm doing a drip acclimation only because of the pH of this tank is lower than my other tanks. I really need to consider upping the surface agitation. The opposite photo period may stabilize things, though.

L

lljd you should get the new 5g fluval spec, it has some cool looking curves and is longer versus taller. Might be cool to try a mantis shrimp in it no? I mean you are in prime mantis territory after all :b

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back