Quick Cycle?

Andy P

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cirencester
I know there are no shortcuts but...!

I'm going to be getting a 30l tank soon (tank number 4!) - if i put the sponge for a Fluval 1+ filter in my community tank external cannister how long will it take to mature?

Would I be right in thinking that if I then set up the tank with pre-matured filter and fill it with 75% water from my main tank and 25% fresh I would be able to add fish straight away?

I know this sounds like I'm trying to cut corners (which I guess I am) but please don't shoot me down in flames - I think my logic is sound, just wondering what peoples opinions are or if I'm heading for disaster!

Thanks in advance

Andy
 
water contains no beneficial bacteria and for a new filter sponge to receive the bacteria will take weeks or even a month to do, what I would do is take filter media from your canister and place that into the fluvel filter.

For future tanks I would place extra filter media into your canister in case you need to set up a new tank in the future. This way it will have the bacteria right away and its just extra.
 
Personally if going down this route, I would run the tank for at least a week before adding any fish so you can keep an eye on water quality :good:
 
Your idea of maturing filter media in a running tank is a very good one. It will give your new filter and tank a jump start compared to where it would be otherwise. I would give it at least 2 weeks but have another suggestion. Instead, why not place the 1+ into the established community tank? That way the whole working filter can become established and after a couple of weeks you could move the whole thing to your new tank and be ready to start stocking lightly. To me a 1+ sounds a bit small for a 30, I have a 4+ running in my 45 and it seems to be just about right.
Nevermind, I was thinking 30 gallons, not 30 litres.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top