Question On Stand Capacity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hallo.

I have a 16 gallon tank, and a 5.8Gallon tank next to each other, placed on this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...orkstations.htm

The combined weight is 218 pounds, or 98KG

I wanted to upgrade my 16 gallon to a 28 gallon, and remove the 5.8 gallon

the weight of the 28 gall would be 280 pounds (127KG)

Will the stand i have hold a 28 gallon? (Btw, it would be upstairs in my bedroom)

I have no experience with this, so would greatly appreciate any suggestions

hallo.

I have a 16 gallon tank, and a 5.8Gallon tank next to each other, placed on this

<a href="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...orkstations.htm" target="_blank">http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...orkstations.htm</a>

Will the stand i have hold a 28 gallon? (Btw, it would be upstairs in my bedroom)

From my experience it wont hold, the stand will be made of chip board and will bow very easy and then will split, the second a drop of water touches the surface is going to start to soak into the chipboard which will make it bow faster.

You would need to at minimum re enforce the top of the stand, i placed a sheet of mdf that i bought from homebase and cut to size, (Approx £8) over the top of my cabinet that held a 60l, with a further 10Kg of sand (approx 75Kg in total.) with your cabinet i would also look at stripping out the little box compartments, keyboard holder etc etc and putting in a central support divider from top to bottom on the inside of the cabinet which will also give you 2 storage spaces as well as giving much needed support.

i wouldn't be able to say if the side panels could hold the weight of the structure in a secure way without snapping or folding in or out under all the weight. also the advert only states suitable for a 15Kg monitor, i wouldn't chance it myself to be honest.
Scott

hallo.

<a href="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...orkstations.htm" target="_blank">http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...orkstations.htm</a>

From my experience it wont hold, the stand will be made of chip board and will bow very easy and then will split, the second a drop of water touches the surface is going to start to soak into the chipboard which will make it bow faster.

You would need to at minimum re enforce the top of the stand, i placed a sheet of mdf that i bought from homebase and cut to size, (Approx £8) over the top of my cabinet that held a 60l, with a further 10Kg of sand (approx 75Kg in total.) with your cabinet i would also look at stripping out the little box compartments, keyboard holder etc etc and putting in a central support divider from top to bottom on the inside of the cabinet which will also give you 2 storage spaces as well as giving much needed support.

i wouldn't be able to say if the side panels could hold the weight of the structure in a secure way without snapping or folding in or out under all the weight. also the advert only states suitable for a 15Kg monitor, i wouldn't chance it myself to be honest.
Scott

yeah you are right

I guess i was just hoping it would hold

I have decided on a different option

I will take all the tanks off, then put my 17 gallon terrarium on it instead, (which is lighter than the combined weight of the other tanks) then i will put the 28 gallon on my other table, which will definately hold it. I've put my 5.8 next to my comp, looks fairly nice

Thanks for the help

go to your local hardware store and have a look at shelving units for workshops. They have a number of different styles that can take varying weights. Otherwise make on out of 30x75mm pine.

One more question

I am wanting the largest tank i can get, but am cautious of going over 28 galls because it may be too heavy for the floor boards?

I would love say a 4ft 40-45gall, would this be too heavy, as its in my bedroom

any suggestions are welcome

it shouldn't be a problem if the floor was well built. It is only a couple of hundred kilos. Two adults on a bed will weigh about the same.
If you are concerned then put some wooden boards under the legs of the stand to distribute the weight more evenly across the floor.

it shouldn't be a problem if the floor was well built. It is only a couple of hundred kilos. Two adults on a bed will weigh about the same.
If you are concerned then put some wooden boards under the legs of the stand to distribute the weight more evenly across the floor.

yeah but the weight of two adults on a bed would be relatively evenly distrubited

Would the wooden board thing actually work?

yep if you have wooden beams/boards under the legs it will spread the weight out over a bigger area.
You can use 1inch thick plyboard and cut pieces about 12inches square. Then put one square under each leg.
you can use lengths of floor board or similar wood and run them in the opposite direction to the actual floor boards. Then put the stand on them.

yep if you have wooden beams/boards under the legs it will spread the weight out over a bigger area.
You can use 1inch thick plyboard and cut pieces about 12inches square. Then put one square under each leg.
you can use lengths of floor board or similar wood and run them in the opposite direction to the actual floor boards. Then put the stand on them.

thanks

it could be worth a troll through the DIY section of the forum, this has came up a few times, and i remember recently withing the last week some one posted a link from a structural engineer which was all about how much load floor boards would hold etc etc, if i can find the link ill re post it.

EDIT - I found the last thread in the DIY Forum which had the link to how a floor is constructed and how much load it can hold, it is a little bit of a read and some bits you may need to think of but then it was written by a structal engineer.

The link is Courtesy of ox5477, which i found in this thread TANK UPSTAIRS

thanks, i wasnt aware there was a DIY section but hey i am new

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back