Question about tank cleaning and the Python

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a Phython to clean and do water changes. I got it on sale before I even had the aquarium and hadn't decided where the aquarium would be located so I bought the 50 ft hose one so it could reach any sink in the house. And remarkably it can work with all three faucets. But it was a big mistake - way too much hose to manipulate and it's very difficult to get it to suck all the water out of the hose once your done. I'm also on Oxygen 24/7 and my oxygen hose gets rolled up/tangled with the Phython. My biggest problem is that I have to keep stopping the water change process because to get enough suction I have to turn my bathroom sink water high enough that I barely get any water removed from the tank or any cleaning done before my bathroom sink fills up from the suction water. I'm totally exhausted running back and forth between sink and tank and I'm dangerously tripping on my O2 cord or pulling the end off the concentrator (I don't want to die cleaning an aquarium) If I slow the water rate down everything just stops working due to lack of suction power. I've run draino through the sink and there is no blockage. I may have to run it to my sink, but given how fast it fills up my bathroom sink I'm afraid it will do that to my kitchen sink, just less often - and I'll be running an even greater distance to check on each end - once I ended up doing about an 80% water change because it sucked too fast and I was so busy at the sink I didn't notice.

So, I just bought an electric filter and hose that works similar to the Phython but the options are to just sift through the substrate and remove the dirt into a bag (just like a regular vacuum cleaner) OR you can turn a switch and use it to remove water but it only goes into a bucket. It's only a 29 gallon tank and with my illness I can only lift 2 gallons of water at a time but I'm used getting things done - but at a slower pace than "normal people". The nice thing about this is that I can declorinate each bucket of water I refill my tank with and add any other solutions in very small quantities. Once I figure out exactly how many drops of Ph down I need per 2 gallons to keep my Ph at 7.0 I can do that quickly ahead of time too - it may work out to be something like 1/4 teaspoon per 2 gallons or something rather than counting all the damn drops- so I can do it faster. Our water here is Ph10-10.5. I had to look it up on our City's website because my test kit only goes to 9.9. It took about 300 drops of PHdown to get the whole tank to 7. I had to buy a bigger bottle of PHdown. So the bucket method may work out the best, the fish will get their water at exactly the same PH, and temperature as their tank. Tedious but I am disabled and don't have a job so what else do I have to do but keep a few fish happy.

What my question is and what I really want is a vacuum like I just purchased but where the sucking end of it is very long, and slender so I can really get into those crevices and even dig with it when necessary- I think I looked at every one of them on Amazon and they all use these great big hose size suction ends some of the hose ends are very short and some longer but all were similar in diameter - I have no idea why because it is SO cumbersome to use something that wide, and you can't really get rid of all the dirt and debris - Aquarium people are KNOWN to be picky - why doesn't this exist or if it does exist where can I buy it or how can I make it?

Also just in case you have an opinion. I have 4 Corydora's, 5 Red Barbs and 5 Zebra Danios all still quite small with the Cory's being the largest right now. They all get along beautifully but they do not like what I'm feeding them - they barely eat - or eat a very little and then when they try it again they spit it out (I assume they are full - although I was under the impression that fish will easily overeat until it kills them - well, not mine). I know newbies overfeed so may 1 little bite of flake is enough but that just seems too small. With the micropellets I would guess 5-10 would fill each of them up the pellets are very tiny. I need some food to go to the bottom anyway for they CoryCats who ONLY eat at the bottom. I bought them a few wafers that ended up looking huge and hard - so I threw 4 in - looks like they've tried to nibble on the 4 pellets for days but that wafer is too big and hard to just swallow. Besides the sinking wafers I'm feeding generic fish flake food and micro shrimp pellets. I've tried dried blood worms and tuberworms and they won't touch them - they just make a mess in the tank (in little crevices which is why I need the vacuum LOL). From what I saw at the pet stores they seem to use only flake food.

Jan

Can you put the outlet of the python gravel cleaner in the shower or bathtub so the water can go down the drain?

I used a 20 meter hose to do my tanks and simply gravel cleaned the water out the front door onto the lawn. Then I had holding tanks above the display tanks and filled them with tap water, dechlorinated it and drained it into the main tanks.

You could have a couple of big buckets, plastic storage container or rubbish bin, and fill it with water using the hose or smaller buckets. Dechlorinate the water and aerate it for 30 minutes and then use a small water pump and hose to pump the dechlorinated water into the tank.

A friend of mine used a 200 litre rubbish bin on wheels and put that in his house. Then he filled it with a garden hose, dechlorinated it and aerated it while he drained his tank out the door using the same garden hose. Then he filled the tank from the wheelie bin using a water pump and short length of hose.

That sounds like a good idea but it won't work with the way the python is designed. The python hose operates in both directions so it can both fill and empty a tank without changing how it's connected to the faucet. So you connect the python to your sink faucet and set it one way to empty/clean your tank and when your done with that part you switch it to move water back from the faucet to the tank. There is no plumbing connector made that connects anything to a standard bathtub faucet, Plus to make maters worse, the way the python achieves it's suction ability is to run water through the python connector into your sink - that water provides the suction for the hose to remove the dirty water from the tank (rather water wasteful actually). Since you have to turn your faucet up to nearly full blast to get enough suction for 50 feet of hose, you risk overflowing your sink while your're suctioning your tank - which is exactly what is happening to me. Really if they had made the diameter of the Phython hose just half the diameter it is it would probably work better because you'd have more control of the long hose and it would probably only add a few minutes to the water transfer time. This thing is about 3x the diameter of a regular water hose. It's overkill.

I don't really need any fancy pump and bucket method to move water - I can lift 2 gallons of water and pour it into my tank. The bathroom is in the same bedroom with the aquarium so I only have to walk a few feet - but it's going to be a very strenuous operation for me just because of my poor health. Even if the Phython worked perfectly for me it would physically push me to my limits - but I knew that going in. What I really need is a magic wand so I can levitate water, tanks etc - or a nice friend or neighbor to help me. I don't think I know anybody that nice LOL.

But thanks for answering!!

Fish are meant to be viewed for enjoyment, not a laborious task. :)

Get a length of hose that fits over the outlet of the tap and use that to fill up buckets next to the tank. Then you only have to lift them up and pour them into the tank.

Do you have an outside water faucet? I hook my Python out there to clean my large tank and just let it run in the yard. My grass loves it! Good luck!

Something I do is gravel vac out one five gallon bucket then refill with fresh. Then maybe again if the water doesn't smell right to me. That way I don't make too drastic a change. It's easy and quick. Your tank sounds very lightly stocked so you shouldn't have to do too big of water changes. I wholly sympathize with your situation. It's hard to enjoy a hobby if it becomes a chore. And please be careful.

Fish are meant to be viewed for enjoyment, not a laborious task. :)

Get a length of hose that fits over the outlet of the tap and use that to fill up buckets next to the tank. Then you only have to lift them up and pour them into the tank.

Sometimes once you have a "gadget" you just have to use it - then if you take a step backward and think about what you're trying to accomplish the gadget has just made your life a lot more complicated and there is an easier way to do it - thanks for the good advice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back