question about substrates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

2tank

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.
can I take beach sand for example and just boil it to kill any microbes and bacteria in it or should I buy purpose-made sand substrates?
I am in need of a sandy bottom in my big tank for barbs like corys.

I am not sure about that but I would get play sand from the brand quikrete if I were you. It's very inexpensive and a lot of people om this forum use that.

I am not sure about that but I would get play sand from the brand quikrete if I were you. It's very inexpensive and a lot of people om this forum use that.
cool thanks, also I would like the bright white of my local beach sand.

Fish do better over a darker substrate as that's what they have evolved to expect. When you look down on most fish, their backs are dark coloured to blend in with what's underneath them so predators can't see them easily.
Very pale substrates also reflect light up into the tank, which can affect fish.

Beach sand is usually calcium based and will raise the pH of the tank water. It is fine to use in tanks with Rift Lake cichlids and livebearers, but should not be used for Corydoras, tetras or other fishes that come from soft acid water.

If you do use beach sand for fish that need water with a high pH, just wash the sand in a bucket, using tap water. Rinse it out a few times and away you go. There's no need to boil it or do anything special because it is exposed to salt and things that live in salt water can't normally live in fresh water. So there's no chance of diseases from fish being transmitted to fresh water from the beach sand.

Beach sand is usually calcium based and will raise the pH of the tank water. It is fine to use in tanks with Rift Lake cichlids and livebearers, but should not be used for Corydoras, tetras or other fishes that come from soft acid water.

If you do use beach sand for fish that need water with a high pH, just wash the sand in a bucket, using tap water. Rinse it out a few times and away you go. There's no need to boil it or do anything special because it is exposed to salt and things that live in salt water can't normally live in fresh water. So there's no chance of diseases from fish being transmitted to fresh water from the beach sand.
thank you so much for the answer

Does anyone know if I can use filter sand

I bought wave fine sand substrate from amazon in the 5kg bags. I thought the price was pretty reasonable at under £5 a bag. Washed it over and over before putting it in the tank and cycling.
09638F8A-FE37-4B96-82E3-B0FDAA972C84.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back