Question about glass thickness

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alexp08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, so I took apart a 30&35 gallon and salvaged the glass. None of its tempered. The thickness of it all is 3/16inch.
I wanted to make a tank that was 3ft long, 19in wide and 16in heigh.
I was going to do a simple bracing, center and each end of 3in wide glass, same thickness.
Would the glass be strong enough to hold the extra pressure.
Going from holding 35 to a 48 gallon.
Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

There are web sites available to calculate how thick the glass needs to be to do the job. I did a search using the words Aquarium, glass, calculator and found this:
http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp There are probably more calculators out there. There are probably sites that offer advise on how to make a glass aquarium

My guess is you will need 3 cross braces across the top of the front and back 3 foot panels.

There are web sites available to calculate how thick the glass needs to be to do the job. I did a search using the words Aquarium, glass, calculator and found this:
http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp There are probably more calculators out there. There are probably sites that offer advise on how to make a glass aquarium

My guess is you will need 3 cross braces across the top of the front and back 3 foot panels.
Yeah i used that calculator but noticed that it said you needed 6mm glass minimum for a 5gallon so i figured I'd ask here to get a human response

Yeah i used that calculator but noticed that it said you needed 6mm glass minimum for a 5gallon so i figured I'd ask here to get a human response

You might want to try cross checking the result by using a different web page with a different calculator. If the results are correct the glass you have won't work. you could try buying acrylic sheet or buy the glass . Your last option would be to change the shape of the aquarium. A box shape that is not as tall might work.

You might want to try cross checking the result by using a different web page with a different calculator. If the results are correct the glass you have won't work. you could try buying acrylic sheet or buy the glass . Your last option would be to change the shape of the aquarium. A box shape that is not as tall might work.
I wasnt able to find another calculator. But i also put in the dimensions of the tanks i salvaged the glass from and it said i needed thicker glass. They were both aquarium made to be aquariums.

They were both aquarium made to be aquariums.

The thickness is determined by the strength of the glass. There isn't a lot of variability to glass strength. Acrylic opens up more possibilities since it can be bent in different shapes and can flex without cracking.

Most reactions

trending

Back