Pure ammonia or ammonium chloride?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Good job....now you CAN follow the ammonia calculator here for precise dosing....Is the Ace amm 10% ammonium hydroxide, like it was years ago when I bought mine?
Thats a pretty complicated calculator IMO so I'll add 1ml of amm and then test 30 mins after and see where I'm at and go from there. Someone earlier in the thread said I should need 2.25ml to get to 3ppm. But it could always be different.

It may appear complicated, but it's really not....plug in the values, and see recommended dosage

Give me your tank volume, amount of desired PPM of ammonia, and percentage of ammonium hydroxide being added

It may appear complicated, but it's really not....plug in the values, and see recommended dosage

Give me your tank volume, amount of desired PPM of ammonia, and percentage of ammonium hydroxide being added
I actually just tried it... It gave me the dosage of 2.27ml. So I will add 1ml and see where it gets me and then go from there. I have the knowledge of how much is reccomended but things can alter that... Technology isnt always the best so I want to be very cautious of what I do.

I just ran a sample test, for a 29G tank, desired dosage of ammonia 3 PPM, at a concentration of 10% ammonium hydroxide

The results are attached, again, a sample only

Attachments

• Dosing.jpg
    Dosing.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 54
I just ran a sample test, for a 29G tank, desired dosage of ammonia 3 PPM, at a concentration of 10% ammonium hydroxide

The results are attached, again, a sample only
Nice.

If it were me, I'd dose the full amount according to the calculator, in a full tank of treated water, with a temp around 83F or so, and filter(s) on full blast....add a bubbler to help oxygenate the warmer water, and let it go....test after 24 hours, to get a baseline, then monitor params daily

If it were me, I'd dose the full amount according to the calculator, in a full tank of treated water, with a temp around 83F or so, and filter(s) on full blast....add a bubbler to help oxygenate the warmer water, and let it go....test after 24 hours, to get a baseline, then monitor params daily
Ok! Will do.

Ok! Will do.
On second thought, once you get your desired PPM of ammonia, do all of the above, but no need to test for a few days, you'll just be wasting test solution...test after 3 or 4 days, then daily after that

On second thought, once you get your desired PPM of ammonia, do all of the above, but no need to test for a few days, you'll just be wasting test solution...test after 3 or 4 days, then daily after that
Ok, so put the ammonia in, then test 3 days after, then test daily... got it and dont test on the same day as putting the amm in

Not quite.

I would test 30 minutes after adding the ammonia to make sure it's 3 ppm.
Call the day you add ammonia day 1. Then test on day 4, day 7, day 10 and so on till you reach a day where ammonia is less than 0.75 and nitrite is more than 2. When I did a fishless cycle it took 3 weeks to reach those numbers.

When you get those numbers, report back and we can talk you through the next stage.

Sorry, probably a local expression.

The day you add ammonia is day 1. Test after half an hour on day 1 to check the level is 3 ppm. Then test on day 4, day 7, day10 and so on as the rest of the post #56.

Sorry, probably a local expression.

The day you add ammonia is day 1. Test after half an hour on day 1 to check the level is 3 ppm. Then test on day 4, day 7, day10 and so on as the rest of the post #56.
Ok. Thanks. I feel like ive asked so many... no too many questions on this forum lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back