Pure ammonia or ammonium chloride?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
When cyclicng can I use pure ammonia or should I use ammonium chloride? Or does it matter? Thanks for reading or answering!

You can use either. As far as the bacteria are concerned they are the same thing.

The only difference is the amount you add as Dr Tim's ammonium chloride is more concentrated than a bottle of ammonia so you use less of it to get the same reading.

That calculator can't be used for ammonium chloride, only for ammonia, and you have to check the concentration is 9.5% or alter that setting. 9.5% ammonium chloride doesn't contain the same amount of ammonia as a bottle of 9.5% ammonia.
Most ammonium chloride is Dr Tim's, and that gives the dose rate as 4 drops per US gallon/3.75 litres.

But because the volume of water in a tank is always less than the manufacturer's quoted volume, it is always better to use a bit less than the calculator or bottle says. More can always be added if it's not enough but if it's overdosed a water change has to be done to remove some.

Nah, you can do it!
I dont have an exact reading of my water (I still need the api liquid test kit) my plan was basically to add the amount it asks for (2ppm worth of ammonium) and keep adding small amounts (while taking note of how much I add) until I have 3ppm worth of ammonium

@Slaphppy7 How much pure ammonia would you recommend for a 20 gallon aquarium to reach 3ppm?

@Slaphppy7 How much pure ammonia would you recommend for a 20 gallon aquarium to reach 3ppm?
Without knowing which ammonia source you are using, I can only give a guess.

BUT, using the handy calculator I linked, if you were to use the Ace Hardware ammonia that I use (10% ammonium hydroxide), then you would need about 2.25 ml of ammonia to reach 3 PPM for a volume of 20 USG. A medicinal syringe would be very handy in measuring this dose.

@Rocky998 Do you have your ammonia/ammonium chloride yet or do still need to buy some? I've lost track......

A 9.5% solution of ammonia = 9.5 g ammonia in 100 ml of solution.
A 9.5% solution of ammonium chloride = 9.5 g ammonium chloride per 100 ml of solution.
But ammonium chloride is not just ammonia. NH4Cl is ~1/3 ammonia and ~2/3 chloride by weight.
So 9.5% ammonium chloride solution contains only 3% ammonia.

That's why the calculator can't be used for ammonium chloride.

@Rocky998 Do you have your ammonia/ammonium chloride yet or do still need to buy some? I've lost track......

A 9.5% solution of ammonia = 9.5 g ammonia in 100 ml of solution.
A 9.5% solution of ammonium chloride = 9.5 g ammonium chloride per 100 ml of solution.
But ammonium chloride is not just ammonia. NH4Cl is ~1/3 ammonia and ~2/3 chloride by weight.
So 9.5% ammonium chloride solution contains only 3% ammonia.

That's why the calculator can't be used for ammonium chloride.
I dont have it yet... But I'm going to be getting some (just got to save up for everything that'll be bought with it). All the math you mentioned made my brain twist so it was like me trying to read chinese lol. How much Dr.tims solution or pure ammonia would you recommend for a 20 gallon aquarium to reach 3ppm? Everything I see is how to reach 2ppm so I'm a little lost. I dont want to keep randomly adding an amount and hoping to get to 3ppm...

Dr Tim's says to add 4 drops per gallon but looking on their website they say that gives 2 ppm.
Your 20 gallon aquarium won't hold quite 20 gallons. It's 20 gallons right to the brim and with nothing in the tank except water. But if you fill it to the brim, the slightest thing will cause it to overflow so the water level has to be an inch at least below the brim, so less water.
So, 4 drops in 20 gallons = 80 drops and gives 2 ppm. Since there won't be 20 gallons in there, and our method says 3 ppm not 2 ppm, add the same 80 drops (don't lose count!) Let the tank run for half an hour then test for ammonia. Most test kits don't have a colour for 3 ppm so you've got to estimate what 3 ppm would look like. It doesn't need to be spot on, just as close as you can manage.
If it is obviously less than 3 ppm, add some more drops - and don't forget to count these too and add them to the first lot of drops. Wait another half hour and test again.

When you get the ammonia reading to 3 ppm, that's the same number of drops you need to add whenever the method says to add a 3 ppm dose. When it says to add 1 ppm dose, use one third the number of drops.

Dr Tim's says to add 4 drops per gallon but looking on their website they say that gives 2 ppm.
Your 20 gallon aquarium won't hold quite 20 gallons. It's 20 gallons right to the brim and with nothing in the tank except water. But if you fill it to the brim, the slightest thing will cause it to overflow so the water level has to be an inch at least below the brim, so less water.
So, 4 drops in 20 gallons = 80 drops and gives 2 ppm. Since there won't be 20 gallons in there, and our method says 3 ppm not 2 ppm, add the same 80 drops (don't lose count!) Let the tank run for half an hour then test for ammonia. Most test kits don't have a colour for 3 ppm so you've got to estimate what 3 ppm would look like. It doesn't need to be spot on, just as close as you can manage.
If it is obviously less than 3 ppm, add some more drops - and don't forget to count these too and add them to the first lot of drops. Wait another half hour and test again.

When you get the ammonia reading to 3 ppm, that's the same number of drops you need to add whenever the method says to add a 3 ppm dose. When it says to add 1 ppm dose, use one third the number of drops.
I really dont wanna be counting out 80 drops.... I wish the Dr.tims solution just said like 1 ml or 2ml and if it was drops then it could be like 2 drops per 10 gallons... I wish there was just a simple measurement (I think I spelt that wrong)

I really dont wanna be counting out 80 drops.... I wish the Dr.tims solution just said like 1 ml or 2ml and if it was drops then it could be like 2 drops per 10 gallons... I wish there was just a simple measurement (I think I spelt that wrong)
Get plain ammonia, and use a syringe

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back