Puget Sound Biotope

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That’s interesting it doesn’t have a sharp tip on it. Usually that is a key feature in a dive knife.

What exactly are you planning on using it for?

It's interesting when you can catch your own fish or the corals.

I know of fish keepers who get their unique species of fish from their friends who are fishermen.

Nice work.

I know of fish keepers who get their unique species of fish from their friends who are fishermen.
If you do that, you need to be on the boat and make sure they bring the fish up slowly otherwise they pop. Or they have the fish in a huge trawl net and they get squashed underneath everything else in the net. And you have to grab the fish straight away or they get left on the deck for 10-15 minutes while they sort the catch.

Having said that, if you know someone with a boat, take some bait traps, drop them overboard, wait an hour and then slowly bring them up over the course of a few hours.

That’s interesting it doesn’t have a sharp tip on it. Usually that is a key feature in a dive knife.

What exactly are you planning on using it for?
Diving knifes come in all sort of sizes and tips. I use to have 8" pointed tips back in the day, and would have them strapped to the inside of my calf. They help you cut lines and get yourself out of trouble if you get caught and tangled underwater. I never really needed it to save myself from fish, even sharks, but there have been situations where you might have to use it. They are good for exploring areas where you do not want your fingers to go first, just in case. Also, if you catch your own food you can open it if it is shellfish or cut it if it is fish.

I like this little knife because it will be in a pocket either in my dry suit or my PFD (personal flotation device), so I do not need a big one that I can reach for when being burdened by a BC (buoyancy compensator). Also, since I will not be in situations that should require stabbing, the blunt blade will help me pry rocks and hardscape without accidentally injuring myself or piercing my dry suit, or hurting marine life. I have been going light without tank, hoses and gauges, so this makes for a comfortable outing.

It is getting put to the test this Friday, so we'll see how it performs. :)

Last edited:
Having said that, if you know someone with a boat, take some bait traps, drop them overboard, wait an hour and then slowly bring them up over the course of a few hours.
I am dropping some plastic bins filled with rocks from a friend's boat. Will leave for a few weeks and see what kind of marine life relocates there when we bring them up. :)

I am dropping some plastic bins filled with rocks from a friend's boat. Will leave for a few weeks and see what kind of marine life relocates there when we bring them up. :)
There won't be much, a fish, crab or octopus. If you want variety, use bait traps for 30-60 minutes and then pull them up. Once the container has been in the water for a while (more than a day), something will take up residence in it and you only get the one creature.

Yes, you are correct. I will be building the tank, and having only one side of acrylic will save a lot of money.

I tend to go overboard with DIY projects, I even prototype making my own rock for my planned Mbuna tank! In this case a plywood aquarium may be the right solution. I am a big fan of the 2 part Urethane Foam , a sandwich construction with 4 lb density foam may give you a strong and insulated box. Making the top lid with foam core panel would be light and easy to handle. Plus I just like working with urethane foam :)

FYI, long ago I research making a “Stitch and Glue” plywood boat. The key issue with marine plywood, no voids in the middle. Water can collect in these small voids and rot the plywood from inside. I don't think you need marine plywood but I would use HPVA Birch Plywood.

Out doing some homework, studying potential occupants.

View attachment 130296 View attachment 130297. View attachment 130298

I am quite jealous of you, this is what Lake Ontario can be like in the winter..

Frozen house.jpg

Diving knifes come in all sort of sizes and tips. I use to have 8" pointed tips back in the day, and would have them strapped to the inside of my calf. They help you cut lines and get your self out of trouble if you get caught and tangled underwater. I never really needed it to save myself from fish, even sharks, but there have been situations where you might have to use it. They are good for exploring areas where you do not want your fingers to go first, just in case. Also, if you catch your own food you can open it if it is shellfish or cut it if it is fish.

I like this little knife because it will be in a pocket either in my dry suit or my PFD (personal flotation device), so I do not need a big one that I can reach for when being burdened by a BC (buoyancy compensator). Also, since I will not be in situations that should require stabbing, the blunt blade will help me pry rocks and hardscape without accidentally injuring myself or piercing my dry suit, or hurting marine life. I have been going light without tank, hoses and gauges, so this makes for a comfortable outing.

It is getting put to the test this Friday, so we'll see how it performs. :)
Ah I see!

Ok, let me know how the test goes. :good:

Well, I thought mystery snails were the only ones with more of a penchant for relocation, until I just saw the clam decided to try a new spot in the tank (and out of view, of course). I know he is there because I can see him from the top, but the little stinker has made it impossible for me to get a side view. I guess they all want to redecorate at some point. The snails and amphipods have pretty much decimated the green tuft seaweed. :(

Well, I thought mystery snails were the only ones with more of a penchant for relocation, until I just saw the clam decided to try a new spot in the tank (and out of view, of course). I know he is there because I can see him from the top, but the little stinker has made it impossible for me to get a side view. I guess they all want to redecorate at some point. The snails and amphipods have pretty much decimated the green tuft seaweed. :(
What interesting discoveries this tank provides! I'm enjoying all of the updates. Thanks for keep us posted!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back