Puffer Id Please.

Tiger Tiger

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can you name him Puffer experts?

I was told he is a Red -Eye......But i have my doubts but i am open to suggestions :rolleyes:

PICT0417-1.jpg

Red Eye Puffer can be about 8 different species, as most have red eyes. Im nigh on sure its a Tetraodon Turgidus, going by the colour and that the spot is brown/green and not red like the Target Puffers. This is a freshwater Puffer and will get to about 15cm in length

I think you are right.It looks like the one you said.

I was going for a bigger one but felt a tad sorry for him , he was in some crap tank full of Crap!

I was told they had tried putting him in with just about everything (even a 8 inch Striped Dorid) and they are armour plated and they had to get him out quick before he killed it :crazy:

Looking at its profile it is familiar with attitude etc.

My nitrate is 10 and Amonia and Nitrite Nil.
And offcoarse he will be in a 25 gallon tank on his own with bogwood and Sand.

My only slight concern is my water is so damn Hard round here. just to get the GH down to 18 is a mission.

Some will take that but most are around the Max 12 mark. Could i have a problem with this?

In my big Tank the polypeterus's and the Clown loaches etc etc all require Soft and they are swimming around in 18 and they are well happy and are growing well.

Do we emphasis a little to much on the hardness of our waters.

PH is 7.75 by the way.

Your Puffer wont last long unless you get your water sorted asap. They are really susceptible to ammonia and nitrate/ite poisoning. The T Turgidus is an avid eater, of all things it can get in its mouth....well mine was after i managed to get him eating things not alive.

If you get him a tank of his own, that is overfiltered and water kept pristene you will have a very interactive fish, that will come see you when you approach the tank, Puffers are seriously great fish once they get used to you :)

Your Puffer wont last long unless you get your water sorted asap. They are really susceptible to ammonia and nitrate/ite poisoning. The T Turgidus is an avid eater, of all things it can get in its mouth....well mine was after i managed to get him eating things not alive.

If you get him a tank of his own, that is overfiltered and water kept pristene you will have a very interactive fish, that will come see you when you approach the tank, Puffers are seriously great fish once they get used to you :)

I thought my readings where rather good. My tank is very over filtered. It has a 1,000 Aqua one external and a in built trickle filter. Not bad for a 25 gallon tank.

Its just the Hardness i have a few concerns about.

From first look I think he is a M. Turgidus, but it could be a M. Cochinchinensis, this should become more apparent when he lightens up as his darkness is accentuating the Target spot which looks very typical of a Cochinchinensis. The greeny base colour of him to me says Turgidus though.

Your water parameters seem fine to me.

He's a red-eye puffer, and one of the target species. It's either turgidus or cochinchinensis (Aka fangs puffer) and they both need very similar requirements so I wouldn't be too worried.

Basic care means -

Only frozen meaty foods
No tankmates at all

You water parameters are fine as well. Target puffers do well in most water as long as you avoid the extremes.

Most reactions

Back