Progress...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jojouk

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ramsgate, Kent, UK. Big up the Kent massive! :)
I have no idea if people will be interested, but I thought I might upload some pics ofd mytank, and update them as and when anything changes?

Brief histry...

I got given a 180 litre tank, hood, filter etc... :)

So I set it up, cycled and added fishies. That was about 3 weeks ago...

Fish:

5 Neon Tetras
5 Silvertip Tetras

So,

I decided that I did not like the look of the tank.

I changes the substrate - added sand. Caused a mini cycle, as I think it was too soon to remove all the substrate, but all is well now

Removed the fake plants.

I left a layer of the gravel in the tank to go under the tank, just to add something to allow the plants to root better.

I also bought some new live plants...

Added some foreground plants, now just waiting for them to fill out a bit.

Added some more fish...

Total fish now:

15 Neon Tetras
4 Silvertips - I lost one :-( (ACTUALLY lost it, it dissapeared!)
1 Common Plec.

I have a diatom problem at the moment, I think caused by the addition of the sand, hopefully that will die back soon. I am just cleaning it off every other day at the moment. Going to buy some shrimps soon to try and clear it up.

Also got a nice bit of bogwood soaking, ready to attach my Java moss to!

Opinions?!? Good or bad ones welcome :)

P.s....sorry for poor pictures...I haven't got the hang of taking them yet!

(Blue plants = old picture)

Attachments

• rsz_rsz_imag0002.jpg
    rsz_rsz_imag0002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 97
  • rsz_1rsz_imag0151.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_imag0151.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 99
I have no idea if people will be interested, but I thought I might upload some pics ofd mytank, and update them as and when anything changes?

Brief histry...

I got given a 180 litre tank, hood, filter etc... :)

So I set it up, cycled and added fishies. That was about 3 weeks ago...

Fish:

5 Neon Tetras
5 Silvertip Tetras

So,

I decided that I did not like the look of the tank.

I changes the substrate - added sand. Caused a mini cycle, as I think it was too soon to remove all the substrate, but all is well now

Removed the fake plants.

I left a layer of the gravel in the tank to go under the tank, just to add something to allow the plants to root better.

I also bought some new live plants...

Added some foreground plants, now just waiting for them to fill out a bit.

Added some more fish...

Total fish now:

15 Neon Tetras
4 Silvertips - I lost one :-( (ACTUALLY lost it, it dissapeared!)
1 Common Plec.

I have a diatom problem at the moment, I think caused by the addition of the sand, hopefully that will die back soon. I am just cleaning it off every other day at the moment. Going to buy some shrimps soon to try and clear it up.

Also got a nice bit of bogwood soaking, ready to attach my Java moss to!

Opinions?!? Good or bad ones welcome :)

P.s....sorry for poor pictures...I haven't got the hang of taking them yet!

(Blue plants = old picture)

I really like the grey stones. I think they add a very natural decorative aspect to the environment. What is the big green ball, and is there anyway to flatten it out?

i like it, its a great improvement :)

Just 1 thing though, your common will out grow your tank, might be worth seeing if you can swap it for something more suited such as a Bristlenose :)

Made some changes...

Put in my bogwood, better, but still Im not 100% happy...but the the neons love the grasses! Seem to like it this way which is the important thing,

Im slightly addicted to re-arranging it...moved it around every weekend so far when I do my water changes!

I think I need to raise up the back a bit - put in some plant friendly substrate, make it look more like a 'valley' setting.

Get some more wood as well, some smaller mid tank sizes, more hardscape, and changeout some of the plants.

The javamoss I got (cheap, as it was last one left and already half dead) does not look like it has got any healthier, so get some more of that.

Good news is the foreground plants are taking nicely, and sending out little runners, and my Diatom problem is getting a lot better now :)

Any suggestions on plants and where I should put them?

Pics to follow...

Looks better now!

What are the plants that are just off centre to the left? If they're real i'm unsure if they're aquatic or not?!

love the new look, my first bit off wood took 1 week to soak and my new bit took 1/2 a day lol funny old stuff init...

Looks better now!

What are the plants that are just off centre to the left? If they're real i'm unsure if they're aquatic or not?!

They are real, and they are aquatic, I have no idea what the name is. I bought them when I first started cycling my tank, just as a 'bunched' plant. Tbh, im probably going to get rid of them so I can put in some planted ones.

Thanks for the nice comment :)

My blinking cat just jumped ontop of my tank. It has a flat hood, and she loves it coz its warm :-/

You've got what looks like 3 pieces of dracena in there, the 1 bit on the left and the other 2 on the right of the bogwood.
You should take these out, since where they're not aquatic they could rot and pollute the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back