image.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 91
I've got some females that look like this stage for the past 3 weeks. With mollies, it's a bit hard to determine when they're due. The fact is that the gestation period of a molly is a bit longer than with other ovoviviparous livebearers. And not all female mollies show a gravid spot. If she does show a gravid spot, it's easier to determine when she's due. For you'll be able to see the development of the embryos better. For if a female molly won't show a gravid spot while pregnant, it will be a wild guess when she'll be due no matter her size.

When will my Molly give birth? Could she possibly tomorrow?
sorry for posting this a few different times I posted this yesterday if I I only got one answer and I’m trying to see if anyone else can answer

Attachments

• 2B455AC1-4EE4-4FF2-BB39-A8D12614065D.png
    2B455AC1-4EE4-4FF2-BB39-A8D12614065D.png
    476 KB · Views: 78
  • DBA28C6A-8E45-4C37-9D1C-2A05725DF232.png
    DBA28C6A-8E45-4C37-9D1C-2A05725DF232.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 26032BCD-4127-47FA-9820-E79EEA1B96AB.png
    26032BCD-4127-47FA-9820-E79EEA1B96AB.png
    471.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 2A6749D7-10D8-4CA0-857C-98E63DB5DAB6.png
    2A6749D7-10D8-4CA0-857C-98E63DB5DAB6.png
    469.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 5CA0242A-F01C-4BA2-9624-B5691F848610.png
    5CA0242A-F01C-4BA2-9624-B5691F848610.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 71
Probably in the near future. If she's hiding away by herself and/or chasing other fish away from her, it means she's getting ready to drop fry. Once the belly gets a more squared-off shape, it's also an indicator that she's close to giving birth. Impossible to tell exactly when it'll happen, though. You'll just have to keep and eye on her. My bet is probably within the next few days, although I can't be sure. Tbh she's not huge, so either the batch won't be that big, or she's not ready to pop yet.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

I've got some females that look like this stage for the past 3 weeks. With mollies, it's a bit hard to determine when they're due. The fact is that the gestation period of a molly is a bit longer than with other ovoviviparous livebearers. And not all female mollies show a gravid spot. If she does show a gravid spot, it's easier to determine when she's due. For you'll be able to see the development of the embryos better. For if a female molly won't show a gravid spot while pregnant, it will be a wild guess when she'll be due no matter her size.
in my experience, swordtail-platies are also very hard to tell when they are going to give birth, mine has been pregnant for almost half a year and no babies...

in my experience, swordtail-platies are also very hard to tell when they are going to give birth, mine has been pregnant for almost half a year and no babies...
Female livebearers as such also show a gravid spot when they're not pregnant. The gravid spot itself doesn't say anything that a female is pregnant. It's just a translucent part of the skin. Where you're able to see some of the guts, the egss and developing embryos when pregnant. Nothing more. So, if you do see a gravid spot, it doesn't mean right away that she's pregnant.
A well fed female which does show a gravid spot, may also look pregnant while she's not.

Female livebearers as such also show a gravid spot when they're not pregnant. The gravid spot itself doesn't say anything that a female is pregnant. It's just a translucent part of the skin. Where you're able to see some of the guts, the egss and developing embryos when pregnant. Nothing more. So, if you do see a gravid spot, it doesn't mean right away that she's pregnant.
A well fed female which does show a gravid spot, may also look pregnant while she's not.
No, she's well squared off...

No, she's well squared off...
For a year? That can't be good... Sure she doesn't have worms?

Edit- just reread, not quite a year but still, that's really long.... Never heard that before ?

For a year? That can't be good... Sure she doesn't have worms?

Edit- just reread, not quite a year but still, that's really long.... Never heard that before ?
yes, no worms, the pair of them are always together like a school.
scratch that maybe 5 months

Well, a gestation period like that is not something normal. But being squared off (or a more boxy shape) doesn't have to be a pregnant state. Something else could've caused that.

Well, a gestation period like that is not something normal. But being squared off (or a more boxy shape) doesn't have to be a pregnant state. Something else could've caused that.
hmm, true, but she used to not have a gravid spot and now has a very dark one. maybe she is close. and i've seen the male try and breed with her many times...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back