Pregnant Guppy Female Is Aggressive

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

momof6

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have had these guppies for over a week now. 

I have 2 female guppies both pregnant it looks like. 

My tank is 10 gallons 

I tested the water and all my parameters look normal except the ammonia spiked to 0.25 so I have added some prime and been doing water changes daily. 

The issue I am having is my pregnant female guppy I call her honey spice is being super aggressive to sunrise. Not sure why. 

Honey spice below
IMG_2374.jpg

Sunrise below
IMG_2391.jpg

Anyone have any ideas as to why. I will include pictures since I have no idea when they are due and it may help :) 

FYI. I got Sunrise and she was super skinny and now she is matching honey in size which is making me wonder if she is in distress or something. 

Also if anyone knows how far Honey spice might be that would help because I know Sunrise probably has like 3 more weeks to go. 

I don't know how long, but if Honey Spice was pregnant before Sunrise, she may either be distressed, being competitive, or is defending her unborn fry. I've never had a pregnant guppy, but I assume one of these reasons is the cause.

How long has your tank been set up? It sounds like your tank isn't cycled?

probably your water stats aren't the best, and is causing the aggression. look into cycling if you already haven't.. and put in some more decor to break up the site lines.

Yeah i would say that if you had the tank heavily decorated that might break up some of the aggression

coolie said:
How long has your tank been set up? It sounds like your tank isn't cycled?

It has only been about 3 weeks so I don't think it has fully cycled either, can that cause aggression if so what are the best ways to keep the ammonia levels in check until the cycling is complete? I have been using Seachem Prime and doing daily water changes. 
BerryAttack said:
probably your water stats aren't the best, and is causing the aggression. look into cycling if you already haven't.. and put in some more decor to break up the site lines.
Ok I will look into more plants and stuff to give sunrise places to hide :) Thanks. 
AmandaN said:
Yeah i would say that if you had the tank heavily decorated that might break up some of the aggression
Thank you will do :) 

do large water changes, that's the only way to remove the ammonia.
personally i think prime or any chemical that says it removes ammonia etc or switches it over is a waste of money.. do water changes (treat the water) and you are good to go.

BerryAttack said:
do large water changes, that's the only way to remove the ammonia.
personally i think prime or any chemical that says it removes ammonia etc or switches it over is a waste of money.. do water changes (treat the water) and you are good to go.
Thanks
smile.png

Here is what I have done so far, almost  a week ago my ammonia spiked to 3.0 ppm so  for the past week I have done 50% water changes daily and added prime as a water conditioner, and I got the  ammonia levels down to .25 ppm , but now it seems like it is at a stand still and has been reading that way for like 3 days. 

I tested my tap water that I use and it reads .25 ppm ammonia. 

So my next question is what else can I treat my water with that wont give me a false positive since that is what prime is doing?

if you are using the strip tests then it won't give you accurate readings, better to get the liquid testers.
its always better to have 0 ammonia in the tank, but if you can get it as close as you can then its better then it being higher.
if you are using tap water and it is already having that level of ammonia then there isn't much you can do. you can look into water filters (which are pricey if you are going for the long run) that you can drink yourself and use straight for the fish and you don't need to treat. 

i use the Fluval Water Conditioner, works great and never had any issues. just finish what you have and check that out when you are done. oh and if you are doing 50% water changes, and then putting the water right in the aquarium then you have to treat for the full tank to makes sure you treated everything.

BerryAttack said:
if you are using the strip tests then it won't give you accurate readings, better to get the liquid testers.
its always better to have 0 ammonia in the tank, but if you can get it as close as you can then its better then it being higher.
if you are using tap water and it is already having that level of ammonia then there isn't much you can do. you can look into water filters (which are pricey if you are going for the long run) that you can drink yourself and use straight for the fish and you don't need to treat. 

i use the Fluval Water Conditioner, works great and never had any issues. just finish what you have and check that out when you are done. oh and if you are doing 50% water changes, and then putting the water right in the aquarium then you have to treat for the full tank to makes sure you treated everything.

I use the liquid API tester and I guess I will have to start buying the gallons of distilled water :) Thank you so much for all your advice. 

If she is getting stressed out by all the other fish, put her in a divided area of the tank, or give her her own little tank (Important! Make sure the tank is cycled and has a filter and a heater, you can’t just flop her in a bowl and call it good). http://guppy-fish.com/pregnant/ First off, get her away from other fish. As you now know, adult guppy fish eat baby guppy fish, so if your pregnant guppy drops her fry in a tank with other adult guppies, there is little hope unless you have a LOT of live plants and hiding spots.

AmandaN said:
If she is getting stressed out by all the other fish, put her in a divided area of the tank, or give her her own little tank (Important! Make sure the tank is cycled and has a filter and a heater, you can’t just flop her in a bowl and call it good). http://guppy-fish.com/pregnant/ First off, get her away from other fish. As you now know, adult guppy fish eat baby guppy fish, so if your pregnant guppy drops her fry in a tank with other adult guppies, there is little hope unless you have a LOT of live plants and hiding spots.

Thank you. :D

FYI: She has not been aggressive for awhile now :) She was being nice about 2 days after this first post. :D so thank you all for your advice and help!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back