Posts moved from "I'm done" thread

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I actually feel bad for the younger generations.

As someone born in the 60's and who went through mainstream schooling without the permission or ability to mix with my peers or make friends during my education that would be lifelong due to difficult parenting, I understand both sides of this particular fence.

The things that youngsters have grown up with...such as the internet...are taken for granted and often youngsters become far too comfortable sharing information about themselves that us older fogies gasp at and would not dream of doing.

People frequently speak of the innocence of youth. The sad thing is that "innocence" is being lost at a frightening rate through being ill informed, radicalised and the altering of history to suit certain narratives which blur or erase the truth and thus make the dangers of repeating past horrors a very real prospect.

Youngsters are often too open to embrace all that they are told, frequently by those who they are brought up to respect and believe....when they grow into adulthood and leave the comfortable, sheltered (whatever you wish to call it) life, they receive an awakening that is beyond rude.

As a child of the 60's I think I was prepared more for the brickbats that would be around every corner as an adult...even though my parents forbade me to mix with my peers, I still had a greater understanding of the reality and a lesser trust level of everything and everyone only means the best for me and will never harm me.

Youngsters thesedays do not have that. They are naturally drawn to things that as a teen I would have been raising red flags left right and center. There is far too much belief in the Instagram lifestylers and not in the real and gritty and not always comfortable actual life once you have left that bubble called home.

There is too much emphasis on the free speech that doesn't step on toes and not the true free speech...

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me

Words to live by...get out of the bubble, see the world and experience all it has to offer both good and bad and never try to change history just cos it makes you uncomfortable....just don't repeat the mistakes of the past, don't bury them.

The internet has alot to answer for. As much as it opens the user to the world outside, it can also damage and abuse if it is allowed to...and the younger generations who do not know any different (as pre-internet do) are perfect prey to life's imperfections, dangers and being too open to strangers with alterior motives...the proverbial "keyboard warrior" might just be more dangerous than you think.

Don't let the guard down or flaunt who you are...you wouldn't do it face to face, so why leave yourself open online?

If I'm not allowed to participate in your private messaging then I don't want to know that they exist....I'm nosy see, and I have FOMO. So now I feel left out and rejected 🧐😔

That's because you blew things way out of proportion and didn't read what was in black and white.

I also agree with @connorlindeman on that subject.

----

This is the "straw man" fallacy as was mentioned a bit ago:

"A straw man fallacy occurs when someone takes another person’s argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making."
I know what it means phoenix... But I see that as an intentional definition of what happened... But it was just a misunderstanding and my own emotions were high at the time of reading what you were saying and I'm sorry. I thought this was over
Interesting. Wait tell you enter the work force and then you all will have to get off your moral high horses. The N word is not even the half of what you are going to hear, and unless you want to be an outcast then you are going to need to pull your heads in, and except that most of the world is not as perfect as you.
What do you mean by "get off your moral high horses"... I don't plan on throwing away my morals if that's what you mean. I've slipped up on my standards here and there but when I do, I feel horrible about what I've done and I just keep trying harder the next time not to do that.
I find your statement very rude as I won't put down my own morals no matter how bad it gets. And the fact that you are saying to actually "accept" the way the world is very disappointing. I agree on the point of knowing that some things you can't change and you have to realize that other people will do and say things that will hurt. But then there are things that have to be addressed. I find the N word to be one of the worst words out there because of its extreme racist background. And while I don't like cursing and I don't curse myself I accept that others do and don't care when they curse around me. But the N word? Get the heck away from me. I won't be subjected to or near that kind of speech. If someone uses that sort of language in a workplace I feel as though that person should be fired. I don't think the word is acceptable in our culture and no form of racism should be.

One life lesson I picked up as a not especially sheltered kid was to figure out differences. It was useful for me as a teacher. When kids decided to break out of the control situations (and parents gave in) they came into school with all sorts of backgrounds. We had cults, hippies, learning difficulties that had never been helped, a parent who rode a bicycle in circles around the school from 9 to 3:45, because he couldn't let go, child TV stars, musician kids, mathematician kids, kids who could barely read and write and kids who had studied physics.
Unfortunately, in a school of 1500, we had drugs, predators and various criminals in training. They were never more than 1-2% of the students, but they kept us very busy. They always went right for the post homeschooled kids, and I spent a lot of time sabotaging their plans. Most of the sheltered kids steered clear, but a few misread the interest and ended up in the spider webs. We found a lot of the kids hadn't absorbed the morals they had been kept home to be taught, and once they were no longer being watched closely, they often went very wild. A higher percentage of post homeschooled kids got themselves into messes than 'regular school' kids, because of their lack of street sense and underdeveloped antennae, but most caught up fast.
I had an acquaintance in college who had come out of strict cult community, and who went from righteousness to umm, shady businesses I'd never touch on a moral level in less than 6 months. It's what's inside you that decides if you'll make the right choices.

You are going to meet racists, fascists, creeps, predators and various other unpleasant to dangerous people out in the real world. The first raving racist I met was the pastor at the church I went to as a kid. These people are everywhere, and there are no shelters. You fight the good fight to try to change things, and you sort out your real beliefs as you go. Or you don't and you go on and on about political correctness. What you think you're changing and what you accomplish can be different, but you learn to think clearly without being black and white about the world as you go along. It takes time. It's a great road.

One life lesson I picked up as a not especially sheltered kid was to figure out differences. It was useful for me as a teacher. When kids decided to break out of the control situations (and parents gave in) they came into school with all sorts of backgrounds. We had cults, hippies, learning difficulties that had never been helped, a parent who rode a bicycle in circles around the school from 9 to 3:45, because he couldn't let go, child TV stars, musician kids, mathematician kids, kids who could barely read and write and kids who had studied physics.
Unfortunately, in a school of 1500, we had drugs, predators and various criminals in training. They were never more than 1-2% of the students, but they kept us very busy. They always went right for the post homeschooled kids, and I spent a lot of time sabotaging their plans. Most of the sheltered kids steered clear, but a few misread the interest and ended up in the spider webs. We found a lot of the kids hadn't absorbed the morals they had been kept home to be taught, and once they were no longer being watched closely, they often went very wild. A higher percentage of post homeschooled kids got themselves into messes than 'regular school' kids, because of their lack of street sense and underdeveloped antennae, but most caught up fast.
I had an acquaintance in college who had come out of strict cult community, and who went from righteousness to umm, shady businesses I'd never touch on a moral level in less than 6 months. It's what's inside you that decides if you'll make the right choices.

You are going to meet racists, fascists, creeps, predators and various other unpleasant to dangerous people out in the real world. The first raving racist I met was the pastor at the church I went to as a kid. These people are everywhere, and there are no shelters. You fight the good fight to try to change things, and you sort out your real beliefs as you go. Or you don't and you go on and on about political correctness. What you think you're changing and what you accomplish can be different, but you learn to think clearly without being black and white about the world as you go along. It takes time. It's a great road.
Obviously that pastor was not a man of God if he was racist. Period. I don't believe in calling people out if they are or not a person of God but that is just screwed up to be a pastor and then to be a racist...
Anywho, yes I do believe if children are over sheltered they will be in a wreck once they get out there but I also think the "real world" needs to wake up as well and see the things they do. There are people who literally go out of their way to try and break somebody's morals down just to see how far they can go. I find that absolutely disgraceful. An atrocity to any christian such as myself trying to make it in this vile world.

It's not that vile. It's very beautiful, really. Look at all these fish, for example, and look at how many good people wander in and out of these forums. Sure, there are evil people, stupid people, predatory people, and they crave power - but there are more honest, caring people than a sheltered person will meet. If you only meet people of one religion or culture - you'd be surprised at what people do.
When my wife was fighting for her life from cancer during the worst of the pandemic, we had Hindu, secularist, Christian and Islamic neighbours do or say little things to help. The Chinese Communist Party guy 3 doors up cleared our snow one morning - I went out to shovel and he was just finishing. I only know enough Mandarin to say thank you. I don't even know how he knew what was going on. Indian desserts, hard to find medical supplies, little gestures - most people are pretty decent.
Sure, we can disagree on morals, politics, ethics, economics, ideas - we humans can disagree on almost anything. But deep down, we tend not to be disagreeable. A lot of people said they were praying for my wife, and even if we don't believe that does anything concrete, the caring behind it was very valuable. Most people want to be good to each other, and it's only a minority that make it ugly, or want to.
On a good day.

It's not that vile. It's very beautiful, really. Look at all these fish, for example, and look at how many good people wander in and out of these forums. Sure, there are evil people, stupid people, predatory people, and they crave power - but there are more honest, caring people than a sheltered person will meet. If you only meet people of one religion or culture - you'd be surprised at what people do.
When my wife was fighting for her life from cancer during the worst of the pandemic, we had Hindu, secularist, Christian and Islamic neighbours do or say little things to help. The Chinese Communist Party guy 3 doors up cleared our snow one morning - I went out to shovel and he was just finishing. I only know enough Mandarin to say thank you. I don't even know how he knew what was going on. Indian desserts, hard to find medical supplies, little gestures - most people are pretty decent.
Sure, we can disagree on morals, politics, ethics, economics, ideas - we humans can disagree on almost anything. But deep down, we tend not to be disagreeable. A lot of people said they were praying for my wife, and even if we don't believe that does anything concrete, the caring behind it was very valuable. Most people want to be good to each other, and it's only a minority that make it ugly, or want to.
On a good day.
That is very true Gary... Very true. But I can't seem to let go of certain things than have happened. And I'm not against any person. Everyone can change and there are very kind and honest people. But the way I see how some leaders mislead and how many religions have destroyed true worship is very sad.
When I say leaders I don't just mean political ones, I mean religious, celebrities, scientists, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, Aunts and Uncles, peers, and definitely the older generations. Because no matter how "new" a generation is we still look up to those with seniority. At least I do.

For me I'm not separated from others by politics, economics, it nationality but morals and certain ethics play a role in who I hang around with on my leisure time.
I'm not going to fish with a racist and then have dinner with a stripper.
You have to separate yourself from certain people to avoid becoming too accustomed with their ways and then accepting it as ok.
But I do agree with you Gary, there are very honest, kind people in this world that are good individuals but just like fish in a tank you can't take a quick glance and say "they are fine". It takes days and sometimes years to show what they really are like. Are they nice to you and others but then there is a group of people they are against? Maybe they look at a Korean with hatred in their eyes.
I'm very careful about who I am with because I don't want to be with someone who is possibly against something morally wrong and then people start to think I accept his ways or even worse that I am the way he is just because I am with that person.
They never will. The sooner you realize that, the better.
I know. I know they won't, but I think there will be those who realize and change their ways.
Trust me, I know that the world isn't sunshine and rainbows with unicorns prancing around.

and then have dinner with a stripper.
But would you have dinner with someone who works at a vape shop selling vapes all day long? Or have dinner with gun store owner?

At the end of the day, they are still people too. It's just their job, most of the time they were in financial trouble and had to if they wanted to keep their home or keep from starving. To assume the worst about a person based off of their occupation is wrong.

But would you have dinner with someone who works at a vape shop selling vapes all day long? Or have dinner with gun store owner?

At the end of the day, they are still people too. It's just their job, most of the time they were in financial trouble and had to if they wanted to keep their home or keep from starving. To assume the worst about a person based off of their occupation is wrong.
Dinner with someone who smokes or sells them... Hm I'd have to think about that.
But a gun store owner? Yah I don't care.

Dinner with someone who smokes or sells them... Hm I'd have to think about that.
Your immediate discrimination of someone's occupation without getting to know them personally first is kind of concerning. I have a friend who owns a vape shop, and he's one of the nicest and most genuine guys I know. I also know other people have that "socially acceptable jobs" that are horrible people to be around and are horrible friends.

Your immediate discrimination of someone's occupation without getting to know them personally first is kind of concerning. I have a friend who owns a vape shop, and he's one of the nicest and most genuine guys I know. I also know other people have that "socially acceptable jobs" that are horrible people to be around and are horrible friends.
Well see. I would be friends with them and visit but I mean I thought you meant date lol.
I wouldn't discriminate against them if they smoke but to me it's morally wrong.
I have lots of family members that smoke but I still hang around them

Well see. I would be friends with them and visit but I mean I thought you meant date lol.
I wouldn't discriminate against them if they smoke but to me it's morally wrong.
I have lots of family members that smoke but I still hang around them
Who said anything about dating?? You buggin' fam

Who said anything about dating?? You buggin' fam
Maybe... I got a lot on my mind.
Misreading things is an issue I have as well as not hearing things right. And my parents always get on me about it.
I guess when I said "have dinner" I meant date... That's what I was thinking cause I didn't necessarily want to say date, but anyways...

Reptiles are okay, I guess. But the fish, the fish.... you'll be back.

If you're young, then you are allowed to make a few lifestyle errors without compromising the essential good fishkeeper deep within. Reptiles are cool mistakes to make.

Rocky may well end up like a medieval Christian monk, living on a rocky (see what I did there...) island off the coast of Scotland in solitude and forums, only contacting the corrupt world to receive large boxes of tropical fish for the tanks he'll keep beneath his cave.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back