'posting' Live Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tropical_Dave

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so at this moment im not planning on sending any fish through the post or courier etc, but someone has asked me if i am going to be selling any of my jewel cichlid fry and that they would be willing to pay for the postage etc. i know that fish stores get their stock through couriers etc but how would i go about it? do normal couriers or postal services transport live fish? how would i go about it in general?
im looking for any advice, opinions/views and past experiences on the subject, any help would be much appreciated :)

Go with USPS. 2 day service is around $6-10 dollars. You should look up "Shipping Live Fish" Tutorials for alot of great info on how to ship and package them.

For the UK you are looking are Royal Mail Special Delivery as one option. Officially fish are not allowed but fry are on the restricted list so are ok as long as you mark the box "Urgent - Living Creature - Handle With Care"
Some people will not send fish via Royal Mail for certain reasons (some claim they are box jugglers) and if that is the case you could look at APC (which I think are licensed animal/fish couriers)
There's probably others over here, but I'm not sure. I've not had many problems with Royal Mail so use them for now.

For shipping them I would use a polystyrene box or cardboard box lined with polystyrene (you can cut larger sheets from B&Q or wickes to fit).
Using a heat pack is advisable, especially with tropicals and packed with something to help insulate them (poly chips or shredded paper)
Double bag them and tape up the corners of the inner bag to stop them getting stuck in the corner. I usually have about 40-50% of the bag filled with water, the rest is air
Don't blow into the bag to fill it when tying it,  as your breath will have co2 in it.
Probably no real benefit but I ship them in 50% current tank water and 50% fresh (tank ready) water
Don't feed them 24hrs before transit, so they produce less waste during the trip. Properly fed fish will easily survive not being fed until they arrive at their destination

There's probably plenty more things, and the tutorials will undoubtedly be of help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back