Postedby Me For, Minxfishy

raptorrex

Inactive
Joined
Aug 1, 2006
Messages
6,480
Reaction score
2
Points
36
Location
U.K.
i recived this post from Minxfishy, only too glad to help! Tylor

Picked up 13 cories on Thursday from another TFF member, all seem well, eating well, playing and no signs of illness, then yesterday evening saw one Panda cory with what looked like cobwebs all over his face and fins and very red gills. I medicated with a dose of Myaxzin but this morning the poor little guy was dead :(

Should I continue with the course of treatment in case the others get it, or shall I not in case they dont have it as I dont want to medicate if not necessary.

18g tank with only cories, they are in QT since thursday.

5 Sterbai
2 Delphax
2 Julli
3 remaining Pandas

Am: 0
NitrI:0
NitrA:10 -20 (10 from tap)
Ph: 7.8
Temp: 25

20% w/c yesterday.

Any advice please :)


I can read your answers, just not post reply s myself.

Mags
 
No idea, been trying all day, the only place after 7 hrs of trying was board announcements, no finally I can post here too :)

Anyway back to my dilemna, should I continue the meds?
 
I'd wait and just watch them closely...

minx would you say the 'cobwebs' looked like dust had settled on the fish?
if so that and the red gills sounds a bit like Oodinium (velvet)

symptoms include
Fine grey, gold or white 'dust' on the body
Very rapid gill movement
Scratching or flashing
Clamping of the fins
 
Actually yeah bit like dust, white dust, just reminded me of how cobwebs look on a misty day you know?

No scratching or flashing that I noticed, it was pretty rapid, all seemed fine, then 2 hours later the little chap looked like that, the gills were very red, looked like blood, hence why I assumed bacterial infection. No clamping of fins, the gills were barely moving by the time I saw him.

If its velvet, I do have protozin, which says its for velvet, would you recommend I dose with that instead? Or wait and watch?
 
Actually yeah bit like dust, white dust, just reminded me of how cobwebs look on a misty day you know?

No scratching or flashing that I noticed, it was pretty rapid, all seemed fine, then 2 hours later the little chap looked like that, the gills were very red, looked like blood, hence why I assumed bacterial infection. No clamping of fins, the gills were barely moving by the time I saw him.

If its velvet, I do have protozin, which says its for velvet, would you recommend I dose with that instead? Or wait and watch?

I would personally do a 30%WC and then halfdose the tank with Protozin just as a preventative measure,
Myxazin would have no effect if it is velvet
 
Red gills that look like there bleeding can be gill flukes.
Would of expected to see flicking and rubbing.
Any excess slime on the fish.
Any laboured breathing.
Corys are more prone to bacterial infections.
Were the gills normal when you got them.

Velvet can also show itself like the fish has been dusted in talc,
 
Yep all looked absolutely fine when I got them and up until last night, all the others gills look perfectly normal, no laboured breathing, no flicking or rubbing at all from the dead cory, looked at them whilst cooking dinner, looked again about 2 hours later and this one cory was sitting out front all by himself in the state I described.

He didnt have a slimy coat, looked kinda dried out more than anything with this cobwebby look to him.

No slimy coats on the others, they all look great, swimming and playing around as normal.
 
Did his body look like it was shedding or peeling away.
By what you have described if water quality was excellent and climatised properly it sounds like parasites to bacterial.
If no fish are flicking it could of been bacterial.
 
A little bit yes, dried out scales, did look like you could have peeled them off this morning.
 
Weird one.
If no fish are flicking dosn't sound like a parasite.
Columnaris can look like the fish body is peeling away.
Heard of cob webs and gills look like there bleeding before but forgotten what it means.

I would do a water change on your tank and keep an eye out for flicking and rubbing, excess slime, keep on eye on the gills.
Gills that look like there bleeding can be gills flukes and they cause bacterial infections on top.

This is only one cory that showed these symtoms.
 
OK will watch closely for any signs on any of the others, it was only this poor one little panda, Ive been watching them all today, paranoid about seeing another one with the same symptons, but so far nothing.

Didnt look columnarisy to me and after that tank wipeout months back with it, its the one that makes me most nervous.

Will do the water change now, so you think not to med with anything yet as we dont really know what it is?

Thanks for taking a look for me Wilder, much appreciated and everyone else for your help today :D
 
Did the gills dry out aswell as that can make them bleed.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top