Possible Pregnant Red Zebra? First Time Ever Having Pregnant Fish..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guitarplayer97

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I think I have a possible pregnant red zebra? This is my first time ever with cichlids and especially with one being pregnant. I was wondering is there any way you can tell if it is? I saw it circle the other day with my electric lab, and since then it looks like it is chewing gum. It also has 6 little cream colored dots on the dorsal fin i think its called? (sorry i dont know the correct name) Are these signs of pregnancy? If so, is there anything I can do to help them out? Someone told me the water temperature is crucial during pregnancy for fish. My water temperature is currently at a constant 78 degrees. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! I have included a video with what appears to me, as the the red zebra chewing gum.

If you are refering to her having babies in her belly... then that isn't what happens. The male fertilisers the eggs while the female lays (in a circuling motion, might be what you were refering to before) and they pick the eggs up with their mouths and hold them into their mouth and hatch them in their mouth and keep them in their mouths until they can't fit them in their anymore, though when they are able to swim they will let them out for a swim but will pick them back up in their mouth. Which must be what is happening now, she might have eggs in her mouth. Does the underneath of her "jaw, chin" look like it is sitting lower than normal.

No it doesn't, well at least I can't notice it. I uploaded a video of her.. Talking about the mom letting the fry swim, are the fry big enough see? My mother cichlid is only about 2 inches. Is that big enough to even give birth yet?

well she wont "give birth' but that size would be big enough to have a first spawn. Yes the babies are definetly big enough to see, but you probably won't see them until they are a week or more old. Where did you upload the video?

I thought I uploaded it with my original posting, maybe it didn't work. I will try to post it again.

yes I totally agree with discuslove and it sounds like she has eggs soon to be fry in her mouth, they are at the egg stage for around 3 weeks and usually fry stage for around a week before she will leave them to start fending for themselves although she might let them out before that but will hoover them up if there is any danger, your temp is ok between 78 and 80, good luck

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back