Possible Guppy hybrids?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishlover22346

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all! I would like to figure some things out involving these weird Guppy hybrids I caught in a pond. My first question is there any chance, even the slightest chance of a platy or mosquitofish hybridizing with a guppy? if so, do you have any pictures? The pond I got these hybrids from only had mosquitofish and guppies from what I saw, however, there was a pond very close to this pond that had platys in it, so there could be a few platys in this pond as well. These fish have the color pattern of mosquitofish on their tails, and also have some other characteristics of the Mosquitofish, but they also have the body shape of a platy of some sort. i found that one half of the hybrid was for sure guppy, but my question is what’s the other half?

Attachments

• EF6DCEF9-38C5-4E90-A29C-1408839DBE1A.jpeg
    EF6DCEF9-38C5-4E90-A29C-1408839DBE1A.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 2411ECDB-B28C-4178-9B5F-AA35619BD117.jpeg
    2411ECDB-B28C-4178-9B5F-AA35619BD117.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 448
that's a good question and I can't wait to hear someone answer it but my guess about fish from one pond getting into another is a good place to start.
I'd say yes, as I'm sure prey of some sort (birds, cats...etc) can get ahold of a fish or two and accidentally drop into the next pond over or even have eggs get into the wrong pond that way.
Or maybe even on a frog or dragon fly?
Interesting little fish though. I definitely see the play body shape.

Guppies and mollies are in the genus Poecilia, as are endlers
Platies are in the genus Xiphophorus, as are swordtails
Mosquito fish are in the genus Heterandria

It is sometimes possible for different species within the same genus to cross breed, so mollies and guppies (both in genus Poelilia) can cross breed, as can guppies and endlers. Swordtails and platies (both in genus Xiphophorus) can cross breed.

But I have never come across fish from different genuses being able to cross breed.

thanks for the info, would anyone have any idea on what fish this might be? I know that mosquitofish and guppies have bread but it is very rare and hard to do from what i’ve heard. if it is somehow one of those rare hybrids, it would explain why half of them are so deformed. one thing i’ve noticed is that the males look more like mosquitofish and the females look more like molly’s or mamybe platys, which is why these little things are confusing me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back