Poorly Macbook Pro

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
My MacBook was near the sink (yeah stupid I know), unfortunately when hubby turned the tap on a bit too fast it sprayed water all over the MacBook :shout:

I turned it off straight away and wiped it dry but since then I can't get it to switch back on, even the green light on the charger plug is dull.
Does anyone know if it's just a case of letting it dry out in the airing cupboard or am I looking at paying out for a repair through Apple?
The Mac is out of the warranty but I don't think the AppleCare covers it for accidental damage anyway :crazy:

Whoops

sorry i cant be much help, but today while doing a water change i had my laptop on right next to my buckets both full of water, i even mangaed to trip over one but somehow didnt knock it over :hyper:

Probably busted it but turning it on without giving it a long time recover probably didn't help it anyway.

You can contact Mac and see if there is any way of getting their help but they will no doubt make you pay through your nose, however if you have home insurance to cover accidental damage then you might be in luck. We recently had a 42" screen replaced because it was placed flat on the floor and something caused a massive crack in the screen. Ours also covers computers and laptops.

Whoops

sorry i cant be much help, but today while doing a water change i had my laptop on right next to my buckets both full of water, i even mangaed to trip over one but somehow didnt knock it over :hyper:

Lucky!! :lol:

Put it in a warm place for a good few days might just dry out then.

I've taken the back off it and it's now sat in the airing cupboard.....fingers crossed :unsure:

Probably busted it but turning it on without giving it a long time recover probably didn't help it anyway.

You can contact Mac and see if there is any way of getting their help but they will no doubt make you pay through your nose, however if you have home insurance to cover accidental damage then you might be in luck. We recently had a 42" screen replaced because it was placed flat on the floor and something caused a massive crack in the screen. Ours also covers computers and laptops.

I went to PC World to price up a new one and spoke to one of the 'Tech Guys' who reckons Apple charge ridiculous price for repairs, probably best trying to dry it out myself first.
we're going to see if it's covered on the home insurance if not then we'll have to look at replacing it :grr:

Game over, you tried to turn it on while it was wet, you've shorted it out.
It's dead.

You could always... replace it with a normal laptop? I mean at probably half the price you get twice as much...

Edit: By the way the insurance expected us to prove there was some care and attention which caused the accidental damage, sitting a laptop next to a sink probably isn't going to go down well with them. You're best off saying someone tripped with a glass of water or something. In fact it wasn't even us who damaged the TV, it was the sky HD guy who insisted we weren't allowed to change the box ourself and a technician had to come out to do it (plug in cables :|). He then placed the TV on the floor saying it will be fine, hilariously he msut of known because he did out of the house before even trying to put the TV on.

Another good way is to put it in a sealed bag with a load of uncooked rice. The rice will absorb any moisture though I agree if you turned it back on before it was fully dry you have probably shorted it. I have done the same with a digital camera before and killed it but used the rice trick and keeping off with a few phones and saved them.

Another good way is to put it in a sealed bag with a load of uncooked rice. The rice will absorb any moisture though I agree if you turned it back on before it was fully dry you have probably shorted it. I have done the same with a digital camera before and killed it but used the rice trick and keeping off with a few phones and saved them.

The rice trick works just as well in open air without rice. All the sealed bag does is contain the moisture in the bag for the rice to soak it. If you let it "air" in air then it just evaporates and disappears.

You can try putting it in an airing cupboard but avoid getting it too hot, however once again the whole turning it on probably killed it.

hubby has ordered a new one from Apple so if the knackered one can be fixed then he'll probably keep it but we'll see :look:

:blink:

A new one...

You won't get it fixed you'll get it replaced by the insurance company, the laptop is going to be fried. The motherboard will no doubt be corroding/corroded and have probably shorted out nearly all the capacitors. In electrical terms that thing is FUBAR'd, you should try unless you don't want to make a claim.

:blink:

A new one...

You won't get it fixed you'll get it replaced by the insurance company, the laptop is going to be fried. The motherboard will no doubt be corroding/corroded and have probably shorted out nearly all the capacitors. In electrical terms that thing is FUBAR'd, you should try unless you don't want to make a claim.

We'll be checking the policy details tomorrow but are sure our laptops are covered. We're not bothered whether they replace or repair to be honest, if they could/do repair then hubby will probably keep it for his work but if they replace it then we may sell it to pay towards the cost of the new one.
Got the new MBP 13" 500GB i7 model on it's way :good:

I can't bear to think how much that costed, you could probably build a better gaming rig than I have for that. :crazy:

Could have done without spending out on another one but the knackered one is being dealt with by the insurance company now. I received the new Macbook this morning, 4 days from ordering it to receiving it :D

I now have to mess around waiting for either the insurance company to sort out getting the hard drive off the knackered mac back to me if they deem it 'knackered', or getting an external caddy so that I can get all the personal info off the hard drive :rolleyes:

I would say you could always just remove the hard drive and plug it in but I imagine Apple don't allow such modifications to their precious products :lol: .

Good to hear the insurance company are sorting it out though. 4 days is pretty slow for delivery! I ordered every piece of my PC individually and it all came the next day, I bought a 2nd solid state drive and 4gbs of ram at 5pm and it came 10am the next day on standard delivery. Wondering what apple were doing all that time :p

Remember, it might be branded apple but doesn't mean you can go bobbing for it in the sink!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back